Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2010, 04:21 PM

371 posts, read 1,362,507 times

Advertisements

We both work from home (no geographic boundary). Our oldest is in first grade, but we're okay with switching her school or homeschooling. We hate winter and would be happy to take off for at least 6 months once the cold kicks in (we're in NY state). Our house was briefly up for sale, but the market's just not having it. But our realtor said the rental market around here is actually healthy.

It dawned on me, maybe we can rent and just take off somewhere (warm and safe are the criteria so far). House is owned outright, so rent would cover taxes, any repairs and leave a bit extra that may cover some of the expenses elsewhere.

Am I missing something in my thinking? Assuming we can find stable renters (by stable, I mean at least 6 months), could it be that easy? We would leave our house furnished (there's not much in here anyway) and put our belongings in our second basement or storage.

Is this a doable/ reasonable plan? Where is it warm and cheap and safe and near nature trails for joggin/biking, lakes for water skiing/ boating or beach for surfing, outdoor cafes for chillin', a few bars for a drink and open mic, outdoor music/festival activities, etc. We basically want to be tourists somewhere cool for six months Jan-June. Off-road biking/jogging trails and water fun are the key activities. We also thought, since we have really small kids, that it could be cool to go live near Disney World for a while (random, I know!), but we haven't heard good things about Florida/Orland.

Could use a reality check or some eggin on with concrete ideas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 04:39 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,392,797 times
I would love to do what you've just described. Although I'd escape the heat of PHoenix June - September and head for higher ground.

To spend time somewhere January - June, you'd need to consider most places are still very much in winter for a large part of that timeframe.

How about some warmer southern areas?

Austin, TX
San Diego, CA
Santa Fe, NM
Prescott or Camp Verde, AZ

I don't know much about areas east of Texas, but I hope I've helped and I wish you the best of luck. Sounds so fun.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:38 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,240,797 times
I used to spend months in the Dominican Republic. Highly recommended.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:48 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,783 times
I am going to throw Costa Rica out there for you. We lived there for almost eight years and loved it. Super friendly people, lovely beaches, always warm, child-friendly like nowhere else I have been, reasonable save (there is petty crime but generally no violence - with the exception of the capital city).

Old 10-08-2010, 09:18 PM

908 posts, read 1,829,586 times
For your needs it gets no better than the Los Angeles/Orange County California area. Head West!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.