Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2010, 08:46 PM

845 posts, read 2,831,328 times

Advertisements

To start off with, African-Americans could stop choosing to have 70% of their babies born out of wedlock. This shocking ratio was not always the case -- in the 1960s, I recall that the Supremes sang about "Love Child - so different from the rest". Before today's age of "political correctness", they used to be called "illegitimate children" or "bastards." Statistically, children (of any race) who are raised and nurtured by two parents, grow up, on average, much more successful than those with one parent. Sorry, but that's just how it is.

I read this week in the "Washington Post" newspaper, that 80% of white people in Washington DC have college degrees, but only 21% of black people in DC do. (although partly this is because many more affluent and successful black people live in nearby Prince Georges County MD).

Last edited by slowlane; 10-17-2010 at 09:00 PM..

Old 10-18-2010, 01:21 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,759,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
you are very strange and probably live in a strange town.

most blacks will not call you a uncle tom for achieving a education and moving out of the ghetto.

where do you people get this stuff from? do you really sit and watch ghetto movies all day long???

its crazy how people in this country will believe everything in the media. anyone who lives in the ghetto knows that it is great happiness and joy when a young black males moves on up and leaves the ghetto.

a real uncle tom would be someone like kazoopilot who claims he is black but denounces everything about black culture.

? NY's the strange place then... the "crabs in a bucket" mentality is the same in every hood I've been, CA or otherwise.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:23 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,410,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
? NY's the strange place then... the "crabs in a bucket" mentality is the same in every hood I've been, CA or otherwise.
no the bay must be strange, here in NYC know one calls you white for going to school and having a education. people here have respect for anyone who makes it out the hood. which shows that people in the ghettos of nyc or the northeast in general aren't as ignorant and slow minded as other people in other ghettos.

i have never seen a grown man 21 and up call some one white for going to college and succeeding. that must be some form of retardation at its best.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:06 AM

442 posts, read 828,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
no the bay must be strange, here in NYC know one calls you white for going to school and having a education. people here have respect for anyone who makes it out the hood. which shows that people in the ghettos of nyc or the northeast in general aren't as ignorant and slow minded as other people in other ghettos.

i have never seen a grown man 21 and up call some one white for going to college and succeeding. that must be some form of retardation at its best.
I did not grow up in the hood but I am from the south and that is not the case here either. People do what they can to leave the hood and the only dumb kids made comments like "acting white" and what not when it came to clothing and music and even those instances were rare. It more or less stopped after high school. I will say the whole " crab in a barrel" mentality is much more rampant among the middle and upper class blacks then the poorer ones because the middle and upper class black are trying to keep up with the Joneses and beat each other out.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:00 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,410,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8t View Post
I did not grow up in the hood but I am from the south and that is not the case here either. People do what they can to leave the hood and the only dumb kids made comments like "acting white" and what not when it came to clothing and music and even those instances were rare. It more or less stopped after high school. I will say the whole " crab in a barrel" mentality is much more rampant among the middle and upper class blacks then the poorer ones because the middle and upper class black are trying to keep up with the Joneses and beat each other out.
couldn't have said it better myself

Old 10-18-2010, 01:38 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane View Post
To start off with, African-Americans could stop choosing to have 70% of their babies born out of wedlock. This shocking ratio was not always the case -- in the 1960s, I recall that the Supremes sang about "Love Child - so different from the rest". Before today's age of "political correctness", they used to be called "illegitimate children" or "bastards." Statistically, children (of any race) who are raised and nurtured by two parents, grow up, on average, much more successful than those with one parent. Sorry, but that's just how it is.

I read this week in the "Washington Post" newspaper, that 80% of white people in Washington DC have college degrees, but only 21% of black people in DC do. (although partly this is because many more affluent and successful black people live in nearby Prince Georges County MD).
Actually, Blacks have always been ahead of the unfortunate reality of single parenthood due to an institution that brought them here and broke said families apart. While the percentage in say 1950 was 80% 2 parent homes, Whites were at 99% for such homes. Keep in mind that back then, you had more "shotgun" marriages that do not occur as much today and the White single parent birth rate is at 30% now. This isn't counting the divorce rate. So, the breakdown of the family is really a national issue that cuts across all races to some degree today.

As for DC, you also have to consider that gentrification has brought mostly White, educated and economically stable folks into the city. So, that probably has something to do with the difference along with many educated Black folks deciding to live in suburban areas.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:48 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I looked up the term "Uncle Tom". In the book "Uncle Tom's Cabin",Uncle Tom was the person who would take a beating in the place of another slave. He may have worked in the "Big House", but he refused to beat another slave. He took the beating for a slave. Sambo was the person who would rat on people. Sambo beat Uncle Tom.
What's another irony is that sambo or zambo(in Spanish speaking countries is So. America) is just a person of African and Native American descent. So, both Uncle Tom and Sambo are words that have been used in a twisted way. Uncle Tom is based off of Josiah Henson, a former slave from Maryland who helped start the community of Dawn(now in Dresden) in SW Ontario.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:41 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,325,741 times
Good heavens, yet another thread for people to bash 'blacks'...good heavens...

I thought this was going to be educational, talking about schools, jobs, housing prices...instead...same o same o...

'blacks baaaad.....whites gooood....'

Same o same o....

Same charts, grids and graphs...

I'd be willing to bet, most blacks, or people of color, on hear are not from the 'hood'...but yet are always tasked to defend those who are...

If these people on here want to preach, then go to the ghetto, and preach...there's throngs of people on the streets, whom I sure would love to hear your message...

But why keep tormenting the poor blacks on here with this crap, who are just hard working everyday citizens...

Last edited by Time and Space; 10-18-2010 at 04:55 PM..

Old 10-18-2010, 05:01 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,230,152 times
Default Not Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8t View Post
Didn't you tell this story before. I though this looked familiar.

Similar, same person. Articulated the story in a slightly different manner. It seems that it isn't all that bad of a thread when you consider this was more the norm than the exception, just a mere 30 years ago. Give or take.

I believe that those who came out of the 60's and 70's pretty much went right to work and didn't look back. Now? It seems to be more of an art form and expected subsidy.

It's painful to watch as there were not too many openings shall we say way back when? I like to view it as a pen of the common man. No great success, no great failure. Just some guy working his way through life trying to simply do the best one can and stay out of harm and troubles path along the way......perhaps more common sense than intellect.

And now, here we are. It seems that for all the bashing that has been done by the left at some point ANYONE would get it. NO politician is going to hand you much of anything and to think so is simply the same as one who plays the lottery....sure, it could be your day but, I have yet to see this "ticket", pay off...quite the contrary.....it does, however, tend to take and take with the allure of help to those that perhaps need it but, are all too often dissuaded to pursue it?

Old 10-18-2010, 05:19 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,325,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonTexas1 View Post
Why does it seem that in every major city (of course with a significant black population) in America the worst neighborhoods in that city are the predominately black ones? I'm black myself and this always bothered me...
On some threads your black, on other threads your white...wow...

But hey, quit being so disingenuious...

The only answer you want to hear is...'blacks baaaad.....whites gooood'....

That's the only answer you want to hear...

And the question is simply designed to hurt the moral of others and make them question their own value and or self worth...

You don't want answers, you just want to hurt people...kind of a form of intellectual bullying...

You are wickedly clever, I just wish people would stop falling for it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.