Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 03:25 PM

112 posts, read 257,377 times

Advertisements

Why does it seem that in every major city (of course with a significant black population) in America the worst neighborhoods in that city are the predominately black ones? I'm black myself and this always bothered me...

Old 10-12-2010, 03:31 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,399,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonTexas1 View Post
Why does it seem that in every major city (of course with a significant black population) in America the worst neighborhoods in that city are the predominately black ones? I'm black myself and this always bothered me...
why are most of your post on black people and black neighborhoods??

if you want to see nice well to do black areas how about you search city data because their is a huge thread on it.

how about you educate yourself before you generalize????

i am black but instead of making pathetic crying threads like this i go and search to see if this generalization is 100 percent true which it is not

Old 10-12-2010, 03:32 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,169,020 times
Oakland
Compton
Harlem
Bronx
Detroit
St Louis
Alabama
Mississippi
Atlanta

he or she has a point

Old 10-12-2010, 03:34 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Dude have you been to some of the mexican neighborhoods here?

The Greater Fondren area is much worse than 3rd or 5th wards.

Greenspoint would be second on the list.

Then Alief.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:37 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,104 times
Because of the history.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:42 PM

112 posts, read 257,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
why are most of your post on black people and black neighborhoods??

if you want to see nice well to do black areas how about you search city data because their is a huge thread on it.

how about you educate yourself before you generalize????

i am black but instead of making pathetic crying threads like this i go and search to see if this generalization is 100 percent true which it is not
Your just in denial!

Old 10-12-2010, 03:46 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,409,040 times
Quote:
You're just in denial!
Pretty much. While there are a few exceptions (Cascade in Atlanta, Country Club Hills, IL, Prince Georges County MD, etc.) the vast majority black neighborhoods are pretty ghetto and have high crime rates. It's not politically correct to say it, but it's the truth.

However, plenty of middle-class integrated cities and neighborhoods are safe.

As to the why? Sociologists have tried to answer that question for years. I think it's a combination of social, cultural and economic factors.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:57 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
As to the why?
Ira Karlzeton wrote a book called "When Affirmative Action was White". For anyone who wants to get into the psychology of how "race" came to be in America and how 'segregation" started, I would vastly recommend that book.

Affirmative action was a plan by the US Government in the 1930's, in which the government was taking a massive step to getting rid of the racial tension in USA. Basically what it did was it made things uneven, job opportunities, living conditions, things like that became harder for certain people where back lash resulted in a reversal.

The middle class was literally "invented" in the 1930's as were suburbs, the eligibility was White people who had comfortable jobs could live there. Which led way to white flight, and back then the "urban" environments weren't up to date, there would be disease prone areas with the lack of drainage systems and sanitary public recreational areas in which mostly African American people were consolidated to with service sector low wage employment jobs and industrial jobs.

Those things left a lasting impact on American society of today, in which Sheppard (one of the most famous researchers of the time) stated that it has damaged generations of African American people to come. Right now the median income between Blacks & Whites is the highest gap ever recorded, in which it is a direct resulting effect from Affirmative Action instilled by the US Government to integrate racial areas, instead was a major flop and too big of a mess for them to handle.

It also led way to gangs and the creation of mafias, because there would be a lot of back lash from "White" urban dwellers when it came to minorities having the jobs they once did (via Affirmative Action) that it would lead to raids and stress between the races. Gangs were created to protect neighborhoods, they protected with violence though but institutionally they also baby sat, took care of maintaining the neighborhood, handy work and things like that. Mafias were created as a "hit" group for hire, and they became a brutal force. It all led up to the degeneralized society we have created today with the consequences of our past governments faults.

The emphasis now is to educate all, and get everyone from every background into as many programs as possible. For colleges it led way to the creation of the "Top 10%" rule which would get rid of college acceptances by those academically at an advantage coming from backgrounds where they could afford superior education, and made it generalized for anyone within the top 10% of a class to be able to go to any school they deemed worthy, it got rid of a lot of racial problems in colleges.

Our society today is trying to correct the past, and we seem like we're headed into a great direction, hopefully.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:58 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,399,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfreak View Post
Oakland
Compton
Harlem
Bronx
Detroit
St Louis
Alabama
Mississippi
Atlanta

he or she has a point
yea but your point is insane and generalizing once again. Atlanta has some very well to do black areas with black businesses, and Detroit even with its bad rep it still has some affluent black areas.

also is Compton even majority black any more??? or is it safe to say compton is Mexican and black? as far as i know compton is filled with Mexican gangs just like blood and crip.

and wow lmao this person used the whole state of Mississippi to??? ahahahah the only place on your list that actually made sense is the bronx but then again the bronx does have a few midddle class black area up north.

shame on you.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:59 PM

83 posts, read 133,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Pretty much. While there are a few exceptions (Cascade in Atlanta, Country Club Hills, IL, Prince Georges County MD, etc.) the vast majority black neighborhoods are pretty ghetto and have high crime rates. It's not politically correct to say it, but it's the truth.

However, plenty of middle-class integrated cities and neighborhoods are safe.

As to the why? Sociologists have tried to answer that question for years. I think it's a combination of social, cultural and economic factors.
+1. I agree, you can't really put your finger on one exact reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.