Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 10:41 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times

Advertisements

If you're alive in 30 years and your grand kids ask you what you remember about the 00s decade what you will say?

What events - both locally and nationally - will you remember most?

Mine would be...

Locally

The uproar over the KY smiley face license plates. (the theme was "Kentucky - it's that friendly) Someone actually designed frowny face stickers to go over the smiley face - and tons of people bought them!

Sports: tons of huge headlines. In 01 Louisville hired former Kentucky coach Rick Pitino. UK had its first decade w/o a Final Four since the 1930s. The rise of U of L as a national sports power under Tom Jurich. The once morbid UK football program finishing the decade on a 4 bowl season streak. The first state where all FBS teams have Black head coaches at the same time.

KY is actually a trend setter by being among the first states to switch traffic signals to LED bulbs and by posting cable median barriers on most interstates.

Nationally

All the commercials and screen scrolls warning people of the change from analogue to digital broadcast signals

Gas prices rising from $1 at the beginning of the decade, then peaking at $4 before falling back down and settling around $2.50

Life did exist before Facebook and Twitter.. it just wasn't as easy to snoop on people

Crime rates falling to their lowest levels since 1950 in most cities

9/11 - Katrina - the Great Recession of 2008
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 11:13 AM

43 posts, read 32,652 times
This decade sucked. Good Riddance.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:40 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,820,393 times
9/11
The War in Iraq
Recession
Yankee and Giants win back to back
iphone
Facebook/Myspace/Twitter
Hurricane Katrina
Earthquake in Haiti
Gas Prices were all over the place
First half black president
Foreclosure crises
Apple
Mac

Old 11-04-2010, 12:02 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
There are more personal memories of the decade but we're going from 2001 - 2010, right, not 2000 - 2009?

Number 1: September 11 (national)
Number 2: The sniper shootings in the DC area (local and traumatic for me at the time)
Number 3: The end of The X-Files (national)
Number 4: Katrina (national)
Number 5: YouTube (national)
Number 6: George Bush beating John Kerry in 2004 (national)
Number 7: The rise of the Tea Party movement (national)
Number 8: The Fall of Nancy Pelosi...uh, just this week (national)
Number 9: The Death of Tiller the Baby Killer (national)
Number 10: The election of a radical inexperienced President (national)

Internationally, it would be the Tsunami and the Iraqis voting.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:31 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
How about Top 40 radio becoming pathologically inclined toward hip-hop and R&B? You don't hear much rock music on Top 40 radio anymore.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:16 PM

1,804 posts, read 1,955,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
How about Top 40 radio becoming pathologically inclined toward hip-hop and R&B? You don't hear much rock music on Top 40 radio anymore.
Even "real hip-hop and R&B" is in decline now, being merged into that crappy electropop sound with ZERO soul. The fading of physical media. Overpriced tickets and of course that dreaded auto-tune.

But I will NOT really get that nostalgic for the 2000s, which means that when stuff from that decade becomes available as a "retro trend" or appears in antique/vintage shops, I will take no part in that stuff unless if it's something exceptional. The fashion sucked (little change from the '90s and Tattoos become more common than ever before), reality TV took over, and ad creep kept getting even worse (still does to this day), and TV commercials were almost ALL computerized. I also hated how many video games became violent with way too many shooters/online multiplayers and too little adventure/puzzle/platform games.

Movies? I can't say much; there are sure to be some classics, but not as many as there were during the '90s and before; cel animation is all but gone now, romantic movies were in decline, and most of the "good", oscar movies weren't promoted real good making you hunt for the real good stuff, not to mention the inflation of tickets/concessions, making driving to the cinema no longer a real worthwhile experience.

It's already saddening to see '90s nostalgia starting to kick in; Sonic 4 came out (and not even on a console this time around) last month, a new Donkey Kong Country comes out later this month, and Rolling Stone just published a book about Rock in the '90s, making the '80s now seeming ancient to the current generation.

'00s nostalgia will be one of goosebumps for me which will make me more of a "wow, I'm glad those days are over" era compared to the "I miss the '80s and '90s". I suppose this is mainly from a Western perspective as Asian and some Latin countries really had a good decade overall.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:29 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
I do miss the '80s, and especially the '90s.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:19 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,030,789 times
The two-thousands sucked. Terrorism sucked, natural disasters sucked, music sucked.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:21 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
Hanging chads

Old 11-04-2010, 04:51 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,600,083 times
9-11 and everything it led up to including our current economic woes after Georgie Bush got us involved with spending millions of dollars for an unnecessary war. We will be paying for that for a long time.
Hurricaine Katrina.
Election of the first African-American president.
The days when gas wasn't over 5 bucks a gallon-Yes, that's our future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.