Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 06:53 PM

221 posts, read 994,263 times

Advertisements

As we wind down the summer, I was thinking about my favorite season- FALL! I'm here in south central PA- and we have a spectacular change from summer to fall (the trade off-we have no spring). Where else can you go to see the beauty that is autumn? Paint a picture for us! Who else gets to see this stunning season?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2006, 07:04 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,987,857 times
Default I do! I do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldiebutgoodie26 View Post
As we wind down the summer, I was thinking about my favorite season- FALL! I'm here in south central PA- and we have a spectacular change from summer to fall (the trade off-we have no spring). Where else can you go to see the beauty that is autumn? Paint a picture for us! Who else gets to see this stunning season?
The Ozarks of Missouri are also unbelievably spectacular in the Fall. The colors are vivid, dramatic, and breathtaking fiery reds, oranges, all shades of brown, yellows, golds. Fall of 05 went really quickly because it got so cold so quickly that the leaves dropped faster, which was a shame. This year the Farmer's Almanac predicts winter in North America six weeks earlier than normal and an unusually cold and stormy and snowy winter through February... If their prediction holds true, then the leaves should start changing here in the next three to four weeks. I like all the seasons myself. Fall here is phenomenol, but summer is so beautiful too, and those frigid winter days when snow blankets everything in purity with big fat fluffy snowflakes wafting down... oh, and summer with the lightning bugs... I like them all

Old 08-16-2006, 07:18 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,162,988 times
Here in Michigan too! It's just lovely and the only time I really enjoy the maples in my yard. Springtime they're dumping 300lbs of seeds per hour, hate that. Then all summer I'm pulling tiny maple saplings out of the ground.

I lived in Colorado and the Aspens turning are the big fall thing there. Pretty, but OK, enough with all the yellow and green and yellow and green and yellow and green and yellow and green and yellow and green. Not nearly as pretty as the varied fall colours in most of the midwest and east.

Old 08-16-2006, 07:47 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Default How's this for color...

see Colorado, west of Colorado Springs, near Cripple Creek and Victor.

http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...ado-Fall-2005/

s/Mike

Old 08-16-2006, 07:56 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,330,009 times
The New England states, especially Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont!!!

Jersey (believe it or not) has beautiful foliage up in the Delaware Water Gap...which would be pretty close for you to drive, it borders Stroudsburg, PA and runs up between PA and NJ into NY.

Old 08-16-2006, 08:07 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,238,078 times
I am hoping that we get it here in western SC. Spring was breathtaking, and as this will be my first fall season out of Florida since the mid '80's I can't wait!

Old 08-16-2006, 08:10 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,162,988 times
That's gorgeous, Mike! I lived in Divide Colorado for two years in late 1980, I will not deny it's just beautiful there. I loved the brilliant blue sky and yellow aspens in fall.
I still say mountains covered in every shade from purple to yellow and blazing reds & oranges is just more stunning, when it comes to fall colours.

Old 08-16-2006, 09:40 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,094,895 times
Rte 17 in NY, from Monticello up to Binghampton offers beautiful foliage and was ranked most scenic highway in the US a few years back. It runs alongside the Delaware river.

I also loved Rte 9 in Massachusetts in the fall. And rte 5/10 going up to Deerfield..it was stunning.

Old 08-17-2006, 07:58 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,238,078 times
This post got me thinking about my childhood with my grandparents. Every fall they would hook up their travel trailer and we would head off from our MD suburbs and take a day trip along the Skyline Drive in VA.

I will always remember the vivid orange, clean yellow, pure red of those trees set against the impossible crisp blue sky. We would stop at every scenic overlook and take pictures (slides for the dreaded Sunday after dinner slide show). We would have lunch of grilled cheese & Pringles New Fangled Potao Chips & ginger ale. Long day, but worth it for the simple beauty of nature.

Today, I took my dog walking in the woods near my house. I saw the first signs of fall. Some of the trees that are going to show red have a few leaves that are turning. Only the young trees, not the older ones. It is a start.

Old 08-17-2006, 09:58 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
Evey, you might not see much of a fall colour show where you are. I've read a lot of gardening books including a Southern Living won and your smack dab in the middle of the Lower South zone. This region is discribed as hit or miss for fall colour, but since I've never been in the South in the fall, I could not be able to describe it to you.

I do know that northwest SC up in or near the mountains regularly sees great fall colour. If you like fall colour there are a few trees and shrubs you can plant to see reliable colour though. I think "chinese tallow" is one of them. I think you'll have at least a slightly better chance at seeing fall colour in Aiken than anywhere in Florida though.

In Canada, almost anywhere trees can grow we get blazing fall colour I think. (but you all probably figured that anyways)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.