Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 09:17 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,709,999 times

Advertisements

The Atlanta area is right in the middle of everything. 4 distinct seasons......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 09:20 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,958,276 times
Rome, Georgia. We have a great library, but get us some more books on brewing beer.

Rome Georgia, Floyd County Joint Website > Home

Old 11-10-2010, 09:56 AM

93,286 posts, read 123,898,066 times
I was just thinking, if the OP wants NC, a sleeper could be Winston-Salem. It's diverse and is closer to the mountains. Chattanooga TN might be another area to check out. Maybe Lexington KY, Roanoke VA, Charlottesville VA and Harrisburg PA.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:10 AM

463 posts, read 1,048,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about Knoxville TN or parts of Upstate SC?
I lived in TN for about 2 years, pretty state but I'd rather not live in the same state as my ex-husband. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
There's parts of Philly that are great areas to live, but schools and such will be a drag. I'm not familiar with the Philly burbs in PA , but I know of some in NJ that are very nice. Collingswood, Cherry Hill, and Marlton are nice.
Thank you for your input, I will look into NJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'm moving out of Philadelphia as fast as I can (a few more weeks) after living here for 7 years. To find decent middle schools you'll live in the vanilla-suburbs in somewhat expensive areas with little diversity/culture/character and amongst some not-so-nice people IMO. I've lived in FL, NC, VA and DC and this area is by far the least friendliest from my experiences.
You aren't the first person I've read that stated this, this is probably coming off the list. I appreciate your post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
The Atlanta area is right in the middle of everything. 4 distinct seasons......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
Rome, Georgia. We have a great library, but get us some more books on brewing beer.

Rome Georgia, Floyd County Joint Website > Home
While I think GA is beautiful and the people are nice, we want something a little further north. The humidity during the summer down here is something we'd like to get as far away from, GA isn't that much better. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I was just thinking, if the OP wants NC, a sleeper could be Winston-Salem. It's diverse and is closer to the mountains. Chattanooga TN might be another area to check out. Maybe Lexington KY, Roanoke VA, Charlottesville VA and Harrisburg PA.
I've heard that Winston-Salem has bad air pollution? We considered VA as well, thanks, I'll research more on those cities.

Thanks again to everyone's input, you're confirming most of what I've discovered for us as well as provided us with some new ideas. We greatly appreciate it!

Old 11-14-2010, 02:20 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Only heard good things about Ashville NC.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:39 AM

27,205 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumermarie View Post
I've heard that Winston-Salem has bad air pollution? We considered VA as well, thanks, I'll research more on those cities.
I don't think it's any different or worse than most urban areas of the country. There can be some "code red" air quality days in the summer due to heat inversion, but can tell you it's better than what you would experience in the Northeast US for example. I didn't experience black sooty window screens or window sills in NC like I do in Philadelphia.

Old 11-14-2010, 03:16 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,791,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumermarie View Post
My boyfriend and I want to get out of the state of the Florida, I grew up here, he's from Buffalo but neither place really fits what we are looking for. Here's what we want:

-A Change of Seasons
-Hiking Opportunities available (State Parks, National Parks etc..)
-Middle Class Cost of Living
-Decent Schools for Middle School
-Diversity (We aren't a fan of copy/paste, we like culture and character)
-Nicer people (We know this is opinion based but I thought I'd throw it out there)
-Eastern U.S. -

Florida just doesn't fit our personality and we'd like to find a place that we can set roots in. I should mention I'm studying to become a librarian (my work history is Administrative office support) and he's an Inbound Sales Manager with a computer background, if that helps. Also, we are total nerds, we don't need the night life, we boogie on the Wii.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
Middletown, Dela-where to be exact, schools are still being built, the area is growing and it is the best school district in the state. 1 hour to the beaches like Rehoboth and Ocean City, Maryland. 3rd lowest property taxes in the country and 0 sales tax. 1 hour to Philly and about 2.5 to 3 hours to the Poconos for skiing. Diversity yes, but its a relatively new area to growth so its not full of culture. Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge is close and other great state parks as well. I guess hiking would be limited to flat land because this area of Delaware to the beaches is flat.

Old 11-14-2010, 03:38 PM

93,286 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
Middletown, Dela-where to be exact, schools are still being built, the area is growing and it is the best school district in the state. 1 hour to the beaches like Rehoboth and Ocean City, Maryland. 3rd lowest property taxes in the country and 0 sales tax. 1 hour to Philly and about 2.5 to 3 hours to the Poconos for skiing. Diversity yes, but its a relatively new area to growth so its not full of culture. Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge is close and other great state parks as well. I guess hiking would be limited to flat land because this area of Delaware to the beaches is flat.
Good choice, as people tend to forget about Delaware. It's in a great location, as Baltimore and Philadelphia are very close for cultural emenities. It's not too far from the mountains in western VA and western MD, as well as WV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.