Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2010, 07:44 AM

2 posts, read 2,334 times

Advertisements

Goodmorning! My husband and i are considering relocating with our two young sons but aren't sure where to even begin to research. We're moving from south carolina, husband is currently unemployed (searching for a day job to get us through til the actual move), so we will have to move somewhere with a lower unemployment rate and plenty of open jobs. We'll be renting for the first year, so we need a low median rent (under $700), and a lower median house price (under $200,000). We'd love to live somewhere with a variety of terrain; mountains, plains, wooded areas, lakes, rivers, creeks, etc. Our boys are very active so lots of outdoor, in nature kind of stuff would be ideal. I need some snow! I've lived in the south for 10 years and miss a good snow. The summer average temperature needs to be in the 80's-90's. My husband has MS and the south carolina summer heat really bothers him. I remember Garden of the Gods when i was younger and LOVED it! I'd love something like that for my kids. I have some family in Colorado Springs, but (weird, i know) i don't want to live too close. Close enough for possibly a weekend trip, but far enough so i'm not the creepy sister that follows everyone around My husband loves anything music, so he needs a good bar scene with lots of live music and bands he can play with. I'd love to move somewhere between midwest and west- US. Any ideas?? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 09:01 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
I know you said the Midwest or West, but Upstate NY fits everything you are looking for. Here's some information from my area: Central New York Jobs

Visit Syracuse :: Syracuse Convention & Visitors Bureau

Syracuse New Times - The Central New York Alternative, Local Bands & Events Calendar - LATEST ARTICLES

Onondaga County, New York

cnyrealtor.com | #1 in Syracuse real estate and homes for sale. Search over 6,000 listings.

Upstate New York Real Estate

CNYHomes - the Syracuse and Central New York Real Estate Source

You can also search "the renters guide syracuse" and NY's Creative Core.

These websites might help too: MapsKrieg - CraigsList Apartment Listings Mashed With Google Maps

GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community (search NY and then search by address. That will allow you to search by the county)

Old 11-10-2010, 07:40 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yostastic View Post
Goodmorning! My husband and i are considering relocating with our two young sons but aren't sure where to even begin to research. We're moving from south carolina, husband is currently unemployed (searching for a day job to get us through til the actual move), so we will have to move somewhere with a lower unemployment rate and plenty of open jobs. We'll be renting for the first year, so we need a low median rent (under $700), and a lower median house price (under $200,000). We'd love to live somewhere with a variety of terrain; mountains, plains, wooded areas, lakes, rivers, creeks, etc. Our boys are very active so lots of outdoor, in nature kind of stuff would be ideal. I need some snow! I've lived in the south for 10 years and miss a good snow. The summer average temperature needs to be in the 80's-90's. My husband has MS and the south carolina summer heat really bothers him. I remember Garden of the Gods when i was younger and LOVED it! I'd love something like that for my kids. I have some family in Colorado Springs, but (weird, i know) i don't want to live too close. Close enough for possibly a weekend trip, but far enough so i'm not the creepy sister that follows everyone around My husband loves anything music, so he needs a good bar scene with lots of live music and bands he can play with. I'd love to move somewhere between midwest and west- US. Any ideas?? Thanks!
I really think Fort Collins, Colorado would suit you well. The unemployment rate is 6.5% (3% below the national average of 9.6%). It's an outdoor paradise and a thriving college town with a great music scene. It doesn't get terribly hot in summer. There are plenty of rental and purchase options in your price range so I think it could be a good fit. It's about 2 to 3 hours from Colorado Springs as well, so not too close. Good luck!

Fort Collins, Colorado - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-10-2010, 08:19 AM

908 posts, read 1,829,184 times
Pittsburgh PA

Pittsburgh Hotels, Attractions & Vacation Packages : Pittsburgh PA CVB

Old 11-10-2010, 10:28 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
What about places at Cheyenne WY, Salt Lake City and Boise ID, if you want to go out West? Perhaps Rapid City SD too.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:54 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Pittsburgh, Minneapolis, Denver
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.