Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2010, 12:11 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Unfortunately the very reason the South gets such poor remarks by most Americans is being played out by some on this thread. To deny or debate that slavery and ugly racism was not part of the U.S. South is both ridiculous and a horrible attempt to conceal the truth. Thankfully the confederate fools who still exists are such pariahs everywhere in the nation that they can only find an audience on the Internet. Several months ago a group of white supremacist from Ohio of all places decided to come to Los Angeles and protest in a city park. The racists fools where outnumbered by a large crowd and the police had to step in to save the idiots who got beat up, their cars where stoned and they were literally chased down the street. All of them were heavily tattooed with swastikas and confederate symbols and looked like they just got out of prison. Naturally they left LA quickly and probably will never again enter California again unless they are more foolish if that is possible.

Racism in the South is a major stain on America and will always be viewed as criminal and ignorant people who need the American police agencies to watch them and not hesitate to take swift action against these anti-American fools.
Since when is Ohio a Southern State? You are beyond clueless when it comes to this subject, repeatedly - but keep drinking that kool-aid.

Your own backyard is HARDLY the picture of racial kumbaya. And I say this as someone who loves SoCal.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Excuse me?

Given trends of migration vis a vis North and South, I would say it is y'all who want to make OUR money!

I agree completely with GeorgiaFrog in the summation presented. It is NOT an issue of leftovers from the War Between the States. Nor that Southerners inherently disdain northerners.

Hell, if anything, the opposite is much more likely to be the general rule of thumb.

Sorry, but that is the generalization that has been my 52 years of experience as a native Texan/Southerner. Yankees who come down here and, from day one, never try to assimilate, have a barely concealed disdain and contempt for our ways, our speech, our mannerisms, etc, etc. ad nauseum.

THEN? Have the nerve to say that Southern Hospitality is "fake and false"...never connecting the dots. To wit: Southern friendliness is there for anyone who is open to it...but it comes with the small price of being willing to understand us in turn. And our unique history and culture.

True. We don't much cotton to those who come into our home and tell us -- if not in words, but condecending attitude -- what backward, slow-drawling, racist, Bible-thumping hicks we are. And how much better it was Up North. Love our milk and honey, but don't care to really get to know us or become one of us.

Finally...yeah...I know, I know, I am ranting and raving here...but sometime can't stop myself once I get on a roll....

I ain't got a thing in the world against notherners per se. As it is, my own kids are "half-yankee" (their mother, my ex, is a northerner) and I have, personally, never had anything but good times and great memories of visiting up North.

Hell, other than the strange accents and them not knowing what black-eyed peas and fried okra are? Or understanding what I meant when I asked what kinda "cokes" they had? I sorta took a real liking to most of them yankees!
Ding, ding, ding! And we have a winner, ladies and gentlemen.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
Money is low on my list of priorities. You should try it. Makes you care about all sorts of things that really are important.

I only complain about you complaining about us, and perpetuating old stereotypes while wallowing in your glorious sense of superiority. I have no issues with 99% of northerners, and no issues at all with northerners just because they are from the north. My problem is with the lack of historical understanding of circumstances that some northerners use to paint us with their broadest brushes, all the while touting their benevolent understanding of cultural acceptance, while denouncing all southerners as being racist religious nuts. It just seems hypocritical sometimes is all.
And another winner!

Old 11-22-2010, 01:59 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,958,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Unfortunately the very reason the South gets such poor remarks by most Americans is being played out by some on this thread. To deny or debate that slavery and ugly racism was not part of the U.S. South is both ridiculous and a horrible attempt to conceal the truth. Thankfully the confederate fools who still exists are such pariahs everywhere in the nation that they can only find an audience on the Internet. Several months ago a group of white supremacist from Ohio of all places decided to come to Los Angeles and protest in a city park. The racists fools where outnumbered by a large crowd and the police had to step in to save the idiots who got beat up, their cars where stoned and they were literally chased down the street. All of them were heavily tattooed with swastikas and confederate symbols and looked like they just got out of prison. Naturally they left LA quickly and probably will never again enter California again unless they are more foolish if that is possible.

Racism in the South is a major stain on America and will always be viewed as criminal and ignorant people who need the American police agencies to watch them and not hesitate to take swift action against these anti-American fools.
What about racism outside the South? Or has that occured? I'm not too sure, with the telegraph down and such.

Just lay off of it. If you hate the south, just say you hate the south. That's fine. But don't pretend that you can keep any sort of moral indignation against us after generalizing more deeply than Jim Crow.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:42 AM

3,378 posts, read 5,008,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
^Dude, I see what you're saying. But, I hardly believe anybody is sympathetic to the Confederates secession and the fact that they supported slavery, I just don't see anyway around that.
I didn't deny slavery in the slightest, I'm just trying to explain the legalities of southern secession in 1861.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:34 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,726,900 times
Racism existed plenty outside the South. However, there was never such a collected effort to deny a certain group of people based on how they look basic fundamental rights on a state sponsored level like in the Southern states.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:42 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,008,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
Racism existed plenty outside the South. However, there was never such a collected effort to deny a certain group of people based on how they look basic fundamental rights on a state sponsored level like in the Southern states.
Except, you know, there were Jim Crow laws in around 35 states, including my native Arizona, parts of the Midwest and California.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:16 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times
Our country is still young... Migration patterns happen in EVERY sizable country across the world, the US is just dealing with the process at a faster rate (We're the most "rushed" country in the world).
It's really pointless to mope about it. Hispanics and Asians have been replacing the North Easterners who left for the past decade over here.

Old 11-22-2010, 02:01 PM

63 posts, read 93,864 times
Yes thats right. Its convienant how some of these people forget that Brown v. Board of Education dealt with racial segregation in Kansas lol and that the Kansas Supreme Court upheld Plessy v. Ferguson. Is Kansas a Southern state? Or how bout Maryland or Delaware? Both these states REQUIRED racial segregation. Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire had no laws prohibiting racial segregation so the decision was left up to individual counties. So once again, my point is that you shouldn't throw stones if you live in a glass house lol. Clarence Thomas, of all people, disagrees with the U.S. Supreme Courts decision on Brown v. The Board of Education. He points out that the decision was made using "evidence" that Blacks were negatively effected psychologically by being segregated into Black only schools and that this affected their academics. Thomas points out that in the 50yrs since desegregation that Blacks have made NO significant leaps in education. So how has desegregating the schools benifited anyone? Test scores for Blacks have remained virtually unchanged since segregation. The whole reasoning behind the U.S. Supreme Courts decision is that Blacks were negatively effected by racial segregation of schools. This has not proven to be true. The evidence is clear. Since desegregation, Blacks have done no better academically in integrated schools.

Old 11-22-2010, 02:20 PM

871 posts, read 2,247,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Except, you know, there were Jim Crow laws in around 35 states, including my native Arizona, parts of the Midwest and California.
yea, but there were more jim crow laws in the south than anywhere else. lets just take interracial marriage and school segregation as examples.

notice a pattern?

lets throw lynching into that mix, see what that looked like:

to come on here and claim that northeasterners moving south singelhandedly changed the regions racist ways is false, but to deny the fact that the region has a history of racism is just ludicrous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.