Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2010, 09:14 PM

1 posts, read 728 times

Advertisements

I am about to finish grad school and want to move with my wife to somewhere new. There are a lot of things we know we aren't looking for, but not necessarily what we ARE looking for. Here is a small list:

-We have lived in the south (GA) and are very tired of the Bible belt. We are not at all liberal, but not very conservative either. We are not fans of super liberal democrats or ultra conservative republicans.
-We both have master degrees in international affairs. We are interested in government work, non-profits, NGOs, becoming professors, etc.
-We enjoy diversity. When I say diversity I mean in culture, food, activities, etc. We like having options and not being in a relatively uni-cultural society. For more help placing our interests, we think Miami is too Latino (I am central American so please no racist comments), Atlanta is too urban, and Boston is too Caucasian. Still, we are not opposed to Boston since we have only spent a small amount of time there.
-We love the outdoors, but also love being near the city and the pace and options that come with the city. We love the NFL and soccer (football). We like baseball alright too, but not college sports.
-We want to move to a big city, but NYC is way too expensive.
-We would like to have four seasons, but definitely love the summer much more. Like I said, we love the outdoors (hiking, kayaking, swimming, camping, etc).
-We can't do NYC or California because they are way too expensive. We would like Pittsburgh and do like the costs, but it is a little too slow-paced. The southeast and Texas are too conservative. The extreme NW is too cold and far away from everything. We enjoy the pace and proximity of the NE, but haven't been anywhere other than NYC, Pittsburgh, or Boston. We have considered Colorado, but don't want extended winters or the isolated feeling of being so far away from the coast and other major cities (besides Denver).

I realize that this there are a lot of factors here and that our options are probably pretty limited. Basically, anywhere NOT in the southeast, NYC, California, Northwest, Midwest, or North (Washington to Michigan).
If anywhere has any tips we would greatly appreciate it. If you need any more specifics please just ask. Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2010, 10:57 AM

93,389 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Huh? What about Rochester NY, which is a pretty diverse city and has some areas just outside of the city that have some diversity as well. There are plentyof colleges and you are close to the Finger Lakes, Lake Ontario and other locales good for the outdoors. Whnile you can get your share of snow, it gets taken care of in a timely manner. Cost of living in a general sense is below average and you would be close to many other cities and things to do. You could take in an NFL game in Buffalo, which is only about an hour away, if that and Toronto is only about 3 hours away, just get an enhanced driver's license. There's also the Rochester Rhinos Soccer team as well.

Rochester has the highest Black percentage of the major NY State cities, including NYC. It has the highest Latino percentage outside of the NYC area in terms of the major cities in the state. It is also in close proximity to Native American reservations and some areas of the metro like Brighton and Henrietta have decent sized Asian populations. Brighton has some of the best public schools in the country and has a diverse student population as well.

Albany and maybe any of the other major Upstate NY cities/areas could work too.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Huh? What about Rochester NY, which is a pretty diverse city and has some areas just outside of the city that have some diversity as well. There are plentyof colleges and you are close to the Finger Lakes, Lake Ontario and other locales good for the outdoors. Whnile you can get your share of snow, it gets taken care of in a timely manner. Cost of living in a general sense is below average and you would be close to many other cities and things to do. You could take in an NFL game in Buffalo, which is only about an hour away, if that and Toronto is only about 3 hours away, just get an enhanced driver's license. There's also the Rochester Rhinos Soccer team as well.

Rochester has the highest Black percentage of the major NY State cities, including NYC. It has the highest Latino percentage outside of the NYC area in terms of the major cities in the state. It is also in close proximity to Native American reservations and some areas of the metro like Brighton and Henrietta have decent sized Asian populations. Brighton has some of the best public schools in the country and has a diverse student population as well.

Albany and maybe any of the other major Upstate NY cities/areas could work too.
This should help too: VisitRochester

Rochester Wiki - The People's Guide to Rochester

Keep in mind that the Rochester metro has just over 1 million people and is in the middle of about 4 million people or so in Western and Central NY. That's not counting those close by in Canada.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:02 AM

1,134 posts, read 3,191,352 times
I can't think of one area that fits your description. You eliminated most of what I'd have suggested. Denver, midwest cities etc. If Pittsburgh is too slow paced, I don't know what to say. Phoenix?

Old 11-25-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knrstz View Post
I can't think of one area that fits your description. You eliminated most of what I'd have suggested. Denver, midwest cities etc. If Pittsburgh is too slow paced, I don't know what to say. Phoenix?
Since the OP didn't say the SW, I wonder if Phoenix is more of what they are looking for. I would say San Diego, but that is in CA and cities like Albuquerque and El Paso aren't big metros.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:16 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,712,219 times
You're not going to be happy anywhere..................

Old 11-26-2010, 01:36 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,025,495 times
"The extreme NW is too cold" ???

Are you referring to Alaska there? Temperatures rarely go below freezing in Seattle. You'd have the NFL, soccer, baseball and all the outdoor activities you want, and a diverse, interesting city.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:01 AM

27,224 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcerna View Post
-We have lived in the south (GA) and are very tired of the Bible belt. We are not at all liberal, but not very conservative either. We are not fans of super liberal democrats or ultra conservative republicans.
-We both have master degrees in international affairs. We are interested in government work, non-profits, NGOs, becoming professors, etc.
-We enjoy diversity. When I say diversity I mean in culture, food, activities, etc. We like having options and not being in a relatively uni-cultural society. For more help placing our interests, we think Miami is too Latino (I am central American so please no racist comments), Atlanta is too urban, and Boston is too Caucasian. Still, we are not opposed to Boston since we have only spent a small amount of time there.
-We love the outdoors, but also love being near the city and the pace and options that come with the city. We love the NFL and soccer (football). We like baseball alright too, but not college sports.
-We want to move to a big city, but NYC is way too expensive.
-We would like to have four seasons, but definitely love the summer much more. Like I said, we love the outdoors (hiking, kayaking, swimming, camping, etc).
-We can't do NYC or California because they are way too expensive. We would like Pittsburgh and do like the costs, but it is a little too slow-paced. The southeast and Texas are too conservative. The extreme NW is too cold and far away from everything. We enjoy the pace and proximity of the NE, but haven't been anywhere other than NYC, Pittsburgh, or Boston. We have considered Colorado, but don't want extended winters or the isolated feeling of being so far away from the coast and other major cities (besides Denver).

I realize that this there are a lot of factors here and that our options are probably pretty limited. Basically, anywhere NOT in the southeast, NYC, California, Northwest, Midwest, or North (Washington to Michigan).
If anywhere has any tips we would greatly appreciate it. If you need any more specifics please just ask. Thank you so much!

The obvious choice given your career field and other criteria would be the Washington DC area, more specifically Northern Virginia. The area has the lowest unemployment rate (around 5%) of any of the major metro areas. I'd look at Alexandria's Old Town or Del Ray neighborhoods as well as Arlington's Crystal City or Pentagon City neighborhoods. Both cities are easy commutes to DC and the surrounding area and also feature the diversity and other criteria you seek.

Arlington County, Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Alexandria, Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-27-2010, 07:51 AM

1,728 posts, read 4,728,515 times
You need to reassess your criteria. If Atlanta is too urban and Boston is too caucasian, that means you would be willing to live in Boston since it isn't urban?

Boston is way way way more urban than Atlanta. And Boston is about 50% white, which means 50% is not.

Most big NE and Midwest cities are very urban, more than Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.