Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 01:29 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,065,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The suburbs are not a cause of childhood obesity. Childhood obesity is more related to race and socio-economic status, with higher SES kids, who are more likely to live in suburbs, having lower rates of obesity.

"Poorer sense of culture"? What does that mean? "High speed traffic"? This has been discussed before. Most residential streets have speed limits of 25 mph. I don't know where the idea comes from that suburbanites live on streets with 60 mph traffic.

Lonliness has to do with the kid, I think, more than the locale. Most burbs have more kids around to be friends with.

Racial/ethnic, socioeconomic, and behavioral deter... [Ann Epidemiol. 2008] - PubMed result
The Obesity Epidemic in the United States—Gender, Age, Socioeconomic, Racial/Ethnic, and Geographic Characteristics: A Systematic Review and Meta-Regression Analysis — Epidemiol Rev
Please. Although there are some very affluent suburbs out there, you really should stop and think before equating "suburbia" with "higher socio-economic status". Especially because you were replying to a Chicago poster. The city of Chicago has been kicking out all its poor residents and alienating its middle class residents for decades. Chicago's middle class black population has damn-near evacuated the city but the north side has a sizable middle class white population that hasn't moved out yet. The city is paving the way for the rich and everyone else is moving to the suburbs, either by choice or necessity. Welcome to the 21st century, folks.

Last edited by urza216; 01-16-2011 at 01:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 06:37 AM

1,107 posts, read 3,071,062 times
There are nice and to me even better homes in the city than in the suburbs.

detroit - Google Maps

All though Detroit is starting to build those cookie cutter homes like these
detroit - Google Maps

Old 01-16-2011, 08:16 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
I hate to say it, but I actually find it a bit annoying when people have kids in the city. We're just supposed to patient as these miniature people are loud and underfoot and slowing everything down. So I guess it's sort of a mutual thing: kids and cities are difficult to mix.

I hate to say it though, because I would like to see less suburban sprawl. And it should be noted that the suburbs pose problems for people of any age. Suburban children can have a much poorer sense of culture and a harder time fighting obesity and a greater danger from high-speed traffic in which drivers are not accustomed to seeing many pedestrians. I also wouldn't be surprised if suburban children are lonelier. I know I was.

Maybe people in the city just need to have somewhat fewer kids, and a slightly different, city-adapted approach to raising them. How you do that, I don't know.
I usually like it when I see kids in the city, sometimes they can be fun to watch. And older kids fit well in cities, as they don't have to rely on parents to get around. What annoys me more is parents with young kids in a stroller. They seem to believe they have the right of way at all times. I know it's difficult to be able to walk your kid everywhere, but a little more courtesy rather pushing your way through would be nice. I was on a very packed subway on new year's eve and got yelled at by a woman with a stroller while I was trying to squeeze in. Barely could see here and she was taking up a lot of room.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:22 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
You can bet me anything, eh? I've read many research articles in the Journal of Public Health that conclude that inner-city residence is a risk factor for childhood obesity.

It was hard to find statistics about car-pedestrian accidents, but what I found negates your statement.

Pedestrian Accident Statistics for Pennsylvania (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:b8wiPq4y0NgJ:www.edgarsnyder.com/car-accident/pedestrian/statistics.html+car+pedestrian+accident+statistics &cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us - broken link)

Nearly 65% of all Pennsylvanian pedestrian fatalities in 2008 occurred in cities.

Now, most Pennsylvania suburbs are not organized as cities, as they are here in Colorado, so this means the accidents occurred in the city proper.
Perhaps because they are more pedestrians in cities? The reduction in accidents total is because there is less driving in cities. It would make a lot more sense to talk about total accidents not just car-pedestrians.

The high speed roads of suburban neighborhoods are not in residential neighborhoods but on the commercial roads. Why did you mention residential streets an example? If you're going to walk anywhere useful you'd likely have to leave. The lack of street connectivity in many suburbs prevents anyone from making a trip without using these roads. I have a friend who moved back to his parent's suburb in New Jersey. Only way out of the neighborhood is through a high speed commercial road. He's carless at the moment, so he has to rely on others to get around and can't walk anywhere. And guess what? He gained weight.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:29 AM

I can't get the link to the actual study, but article seems to suggest living in cities correlates with lower weight slightly:

Do Suburbs Make You Fat? - CBS News

Here they controlled for other variables

Old 01-16-2011, 08:32 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Perhaps because they are more pedestrians in cities? The reduction in accidents total is because there is less driving in cities. It would make a lot more sense to talk about total accidents not just car-pedestrians.

The high speed roads of suburban neighborhoods are not in residential neighborhoods but on the commercial roads. Why did you mention residential streets an example? If you're going to walk anywhere useful you'd likely have to leave. The lack of street connectivity in many suburbs prevents anyone from making a trip without using these roads. I have a friend who moved back to his parent's suburb in New Jersey. Only way out of the neighborhood is through a high speed commercial road. He's carless at the moment, so he has to rely on others to get around and can't walk anywhere. And guess what? He gained weight.
To start at the top, yes, that is probably the reason. Those were the best stats I could find. You are free to pursue a search for more.

I live in the suburbs; I know how suburbs are laid out. It is similar in the city. There are "main streets" in the city with speed limits of 40-45 mph, several lanes across. I mentioned residential streets as an example b/c that is where people live. Not all suburbs are set up like those you reference in NJ. Most western suburbs have sidewalks along their busy roads; some have pedestrian underpasses and overpasses as well.

Your friend's anecdotal evidence does not a case make.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
To start at the top, yes, that is probably the reason. Those were the best stats I could find. You are free to pursue a search for more.

I live in the suburbs; I know how suburbs are laid out. It is similar in the city. There are "main streets" in the city with speed limits of 40-45 mph, several lanes across. I mentioned residential streets as an example b/c that is where people live. Not all suburbs are set up like those you reference in NJ. Most western suburbs have sidewalks along their busy roads; some have pedestrian underpasses and overpasses as well.

Your friend's anecdotal evidence does not a case make.
I lived in suburbs and seen how they are laid out.There are plenty of suburbs that are laid the way yours are and plenty that are laid like the one I referenced in NJ. Just because your suburbs is pleasant doesn't mean they aren't lots of ones that aren't.

It similar in your city. Back east the layout of cities and suburbs is very different. I don't think it is possible to drive on city streets at 40 mph.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:14 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I lived in suburbs and seen how they are laid out.There are plenty of suburbs that are laid the way yours are and plenty that are laid like the one I referenced in NJ. Just because your suburbs is pleasant doesn't mean they aren't lots of ones that aren't.

It similar in your city. Back east the layout of cities and suburbs is very different. I don't think it is possible to drive on city streets at 40 mph.
There are some main roads in Denver (generally called "Boulevards") that have 35 - 40 mph speed limits. These roads also have LOTS of traffic.

Here's a picture of one with an even higher speed limit:

Santa Fe speed limit going up… to what traffic is already doing | INDenverTimes.com

Old 01-16-2011, 08:08 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,554,658 times
I would choose a suburb over a city any day. The older I get, the more people get on my damn nerves and I don't want to be around them if I can help it. I am starting to think a more rural life would be the way to go. I can't stand the noise of cities. I need peace and quiet, and yes, I like having a car.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:45 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,752,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
I live in the suburbs of Dayton because its i:

1. Cheap
2. Convenient to work and shopping
3. Safe
4. Accessible to nature an open space (by this I mean within walking distance).

This is for this city. If I lived elsewhere I might not default to suburbia as the obvious choice.
Ditto. I live outside of Washington, DC and would love to live in the city, but I couldn't find anything to buy in my price range that was in a safe area, plus my job is located in the suburbs and 15 miles from my house.

Not to say that I wouldn't love to live in DC or inner suburb that's accessible to Metro like Arlington or Bethesda, but right now I can't afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.