Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 07:29 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,184,746 times

Advertisements

Any place where one can freely smoke a joint without fear of arrest can be a spiritual destination.
But this stupid society has no spirit, nor interest in anything spiritual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 07:43 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Any place where one can freely smoke a joint without fear of arrest can be a spiritual destination.
But this stupid society has no spirit, nor interest in anything spiritual.
Way to bring it down! You clearly need to get out more. Don't scapegoat and call everyone else having a broken spirit. Some of us actaully have gratitude and appreciate life. Speak for yourself!

Old 03-27-2011, 07:51 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,184,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Way to bring it down! You clearly need to get out more. Don't scapegoat and call everyone else having a broken spirit. Some of us actaully have gratitude and appreciate life. Speak for yourself!
America hasn't had any sense of spirituality since the Native Americans were subdued and herded onto reservations.
Anyone call apply the term 'spirituality' to whatever they like, even hollow people.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:56 PM

866 posts, read 1,560,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Mormonism started in the US and I think most of their "sacred places" are still in the US.
Yes, there are many Mormon sites here in America. I've been to Nauvoo, Carthage Jail, Liberty Jail, Haun's Mill, Independence, and more in Missouri and Illinois, but the most spiritual to me were the Wyoming historic sites like Martin's Cove and Independence Rock. I felt a great spirit there, a spirit that can be felt regardless of religious affiliation. It is especially powerful to do a "trek", where you haul a handcart a few miles to feel what the Mormon and Oregon pioneers would have to go through. It is even more powerful when you think that they had to go through that during the winter. You can see pictures here.

Historic Sites

Nonmormons can feel free to visit. Proselytizing is illegal because it is on federal property. The only way missionaries will come after you is if you ask for missionaries to come.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:01 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
America hasn't had any sense of spirituality since the Native Americans were subdued and herded onto reservations.
Anyone call apply the term 'spirituality' to whatever they like, even hollow people.
History can not be denied, but I for one would never let history keep me down and there are many ways an individual can embrace and attain spirituality that you clearly fail to recognize. No need to be judgmental and join the jaded masses. There are still many places in nature to see and feel beauty and have gratitude. Or one can choose the dark side and see the glass half empty, the choice is yours, not society or America. You calling judgments on "hollow" people is far too ironic. Choosing darkness and scapegoating society is hardly fullfilment.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:16 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
American Indians, and American Indian instituted religions, are still around. Here's some on the Longhouse religion.

Handsome Lake Religion - The Canadian Encyclopedia
Code of Handsome Lake: Introduction: Handsome Lake's Religion

The Hopi have largely remained in their pre-Christian faith from what I've read.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,630 times
state park in virginia beach... simply driving through opened my energy centers and raised my energy.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:26 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
When I walk to the supermarket, I cut across an open field and through a hole in a chain link fence. Today, walking home across that field, I noticed that it was completely silent except for birdsong (Great tailed grackles, a Loggerhead shrike, a few Nighthawks after the rain, and I flushed a White-winged dove, possibly from its nesting site). I could not hear any sounds generated by humans.

As for distant destinations, it's hard to beat a pothole wetland in the eastern Dakotas, for maximum separation from humans, and maximum density of non-human life going about their business as if there were no humans. Not that there is all that much wrong with humans, but they tend to be noisy and don't exactly carry an aura of spirituality around with them.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-05-2012 at 09:45 PM..

Old 08-05-2012, 11:24 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
The Tidewater region of Virginia - I feel very close to God when I'm by myself, in a little boat, early in the morning or very late in the day.

Actually, I feel that way on any body of water. Water is where I meet God.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:34 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,220,319 times
Salt Lake City-Associated with LDS and LDS sprituality
Santa Fe-Related to aztec culture
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.