Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 09:19 AM

423 posts, read 646,548 times

Advertisements

Maryland or Virginia IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 01:33 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,877,552 times
How about Maryland? It has rich/poor, white/black (and many other minorities), cities&suburbs/rural, beach/mountains, & arguably North/South. Good mix of everything politically, demographically, and geographically (except it doesn't have deserts).

Old 01-21-2011, 01:36 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
How about Maryland? It has rich/poor, white/black (and many other minorities), cities&suburbs/rural, beach/mountains, & arguably North/South. Good mix of everything politically, demographically, and geographically (except it doesn't have deserts).

I agree on MD - for such a small state it packs a little bit of everything. PA misses on the beach, NY is another that offers a bit of just about everything though to me it misses on the Appalachia component that MD (or for that matter PA) would have

Old 01-21-2011, 11:53 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,300,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I agree on MD - for such a small state it packs a little bit of everything. PA misses on the beach, NY is another that offers a bit of just about everything though to me it misses on the Appalachia component that MD (or for that matter PA) would have
Maryland is #1 for income, in the top 5 for % black, and well below average in % Hispanic (locally they make a big deal about Hispanic "invasion" but by national standards it's quite a small population).

Maryland is also much denser than the national average, and of course it is extremely dominated by one political party (but then a lot of states are, so maybe that makes it average).

I think the very suggestion of Maryland suggests a limited perspective. There's a lot more to this country than the east coast, people. The population center is way out in Missouri!

Old 01-22-2011, 05:54 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,877,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
The population center is way out in Missouri!
Just curious, in your opinion what does the population center have to do with "quintessential America?"

Old 01-22-2011, 05:58 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,300,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
Just curious, in your opinion what does the population center have to do with "quintessential America?"
If you're far away from it, you're probably out of touch with certain regions.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:00 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
Maryland is #1 for income, in the top 5 for % black, and well below average in % Hispanic (locally they make a big deal about Hispanic "invasion" but by national standards it's quite a small population).

Maryland is also much denser than the national average, and of course it is extremely dominated by one political party (but then a lot of states are, so maybe that makes it average).

I think the very suggestion of Maryland suggests a limited perspective. There's a lot more to this country than the east coast, people. The population center is way out in Missouri!
I think they're just going in a different direction. They're thinking of a state that has the most different aspects of America rather than a state that's in any way a representative sample of America.

Granted to me "quintessential America" is more "representative of America" than "encompassing of America." California encompasses/contains a great deal of the groups in America but I wouldn't think of it is as "quintessential America." They might be reading the term in a different way than you or I did.

Still I'm not sure Maryland works even for that. In percent terms Maryland looks to be well-below average in Mexicans. In Hispanics generally Pew places them as 28th ranked, but 81% of their Hispanics are listed as non-Mexicans. So I think there might be a fair amount of "Mexican American experiences" not to be found within Maryland.

Demographic Profile of Hispanics in Maryland - Pew Hispanic Center

In geographic terms Maryland doesn't "encompass everything American" that well either. Maryland doesn't have any really high mountains. Their highest point, Backbone Mountain, is apparently less than 3,500 feet above sea level. As the posters who listed it mentioned they don't have deserts. Considering their highest point I'm assuming they have no glaciers or even ski resorts. The "encompassing" deal might work better with California or even Washington state.

Last edited by Thomas R.; 01-22-2011 at 07:12 PM..

Old 01-23-2011, 12:07 AM

285 posts, read 642,312 times
Quote:
Ohio seems a bit too rural, conservative and low income though.
All three of these are actually misconceptions. Ohio is the most densely populated state not on the east coast and has many fairly large cities (Cleveland, Cincinnati, Columbus, Dayton, Akron, Toledo...). In terms of politics, its various regions actually balance it out and make it a moderate state as a whole. Per capita income is 33rd in the nation so I guess it is in the lower half, but much higher than Mississippi at the bottom.
That being said I think that many things that foreigners would view as quintessentially American are on the East Coast. Tall buildings, face paced workaholic city life, the historical birthplace of the country, music and entertainment in NYC, the government in DC, and old colonial towns.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:07 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,289,159 times
There are a few articles out there stating that Illinois is a microcosm of The United States.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:20 AM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times
I'd also have to say Ohio. Columbus is often used by marketing firms for studies targeted toward "typical Middle America".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.