Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 12:55 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times

Advertisements

^ yeah, that gets me every time. Large families and groups who will just grind to a halt in the intersection trying to figure out which way is up - while 20 people trying to get through are then stuck.

Escalators always get me the worst - I don't know why people have to go to the left side of the escalator and then just STOP as the entire string of people ahead of them continues walking. Do you just not see what you did???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 02:53 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,072 times
As a life-long pedestrian my primary gripe is a group of people walking in a kick line across the sidewalk. "A Chorus Line" has ruined this country.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:09 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,206,676 times
I hate slow walkers who block the whole sidewalk, but at the same time I can't blame them because I'm pretty socially oblivious myself. I just say "Excuse me" loudly enough and give them about 2-3 seconds to move before I barrel my way through. It doesn't happen often, but since I'm on a university campus, it happens more often than it would in most other parts of Mississippi.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:30 AM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
It has nothing to do with density.

Most American think of walking as a leisure activity. For New Yorkers, it’s a primary mode of transportation. Anything that would be annoying while driving (like stopping in the middle of an intersection or not keeping up with the pace of traffic) is annoying while walking in New York.
Bingo. That's my biggest complaint, especially when working in an area that draws a lot of tourists, like the World Trade Center. I'm very happy they all want to come to the Tribute Center and are interested in the construction at the site, but geez, people, you don't just stop dead in the middle of a sidewalk at rush hour. It's akin to throwing your car into park on the center line of a highway. It's as if they are somehow completely unaware that there are hundreds of people moving directly behind them.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:31 AM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
Neat picture...that's not what most of New York City is like, so don't get too creeped out. They took a specific picture at a specific time at a specific place. Jump into google street view at any random place even in Manhattan and there are a much more normal amount of people on the street.

I was born in Queens...grew up in SE PA. I was ALWAYS in a rage in Minneapolis, where I lived a few years. People walk so unbelievably slow and will not let you pass them. They were completely oblivious to the fact that other people existed. Plus, couples walking hand in hand, not changing to single file for people walking the other direction.

Here in Philadelphia, where I live now, people walk a little faster. More than that, most people are aware of people walking behind them, and will move to one side to let faster people pass them. Also, couples are more likely to let go of each others hands and walk single file. And every once in a while, during rush hours or lunch break, you'll get caught up in one of those New York City pictures like you posted, where there are a ton of people are walking at maximum speed - and that's actually pretty nice. You just stick with the pack and keep walking fast. It's a beautiful thing.
Originally from NYC/Long Island, I was always a fast walker and talker and could never understand why when I went to cities in the south on business people were slower movers/talkers. Well, now I know. It's the heat and humidity. Put a New Yorker down in the southeast for a full summer and I'll bet they slow down, too.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivalis View Post
I hate slow walkers who block the whole sidewalk, but at the same time I can't blame them because I'm pretty socially oblivious myself. I just say "Excuse me" loudly enough and give them about 2-3 seconds to move before I barrel my way through. It doesn't happen often, but since I'm on a university campus, it happens more often than it would in most other parts of Mississippi.
Bet you aren't in Mississippi in the summer months.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:39 AM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Originally from NYC/Long Island, I was always a fast walker and talker and could never understand why when I went to cities in the south on business people were slower movers/talkers. Well, now I know. It's the heat and humidity. Put a New Yorker down in the southeast for a full summer and I'll bet they slow down, too.
I don't know if it's just the heat and humidity. I went to a mall in the Poconos once and wondered if they put Quaaludes in the water there or something. I just wanted to get to a specific store, buy something, and leave, but it was very difficult to get past all these s-l-o-w people strolling through the mall like they had all day.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:04 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,206,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Bet you aren't in Mississippi in the summer months.
I'm not on campus over the summer, but my residence (until later this year) is in the state.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't know if it's just the heat and humidity. I went to a mall in the Poconos once and wondered if they put Quaaludes in the water there or something. I just wanted to get to a specific store, buy something, and leave, but it was very difficult to get past all these s-l-o-w people strolling through the mall like they had all day.
Maybe they did have all day especially if they were retired and no longer on someone else's schedule

Old 02-26-2011, 02:35 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,028,212 times
As others have already mentioned, most of New York does NOT look like what is depicted in the photograph. However, many of us do appreciate being able to get to where we're going in a timely matter. This is a walking city, after all.

My biggest peeves are people who stop on the sidewalk and those who stand on the left side of the escalator. If you'd like to look around, that's wonderful. Just get out of the god damn way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.