Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where were you raised (childhood, teens, early adult)
Inner City 10 8.33%
City 28 23.33%
Suburbs 51 42.50%
Country 31 25.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 10:53 PM

639 posts, read 1,290,250 times

Advertisements

By inner city I don't mean ghetto. I mean the inner portion of a city of at least 500K, In one of the neighborhoods that immediately borders the central business district. I would consider living in almost any part of LA, The Tri State, Chicago, SF, DC, or Philly, regardless of how close you are to downtown to be inner city however, just due to there urban sprawl and density.

By City I mean not within city limits per say, but in an area where there was ready access to public transportation with a density of at least 3K per mile, and in a town of at least 150K people.

By suburbs I mean either inside or out of the anchor city, places with not great public transportation and a low density. I would consider any city with no nearby larger cities with a population under 150K in almost any case to be the suburbs.

By country, I mean a town with less than 75K an no major cities nearby and anything less populated.

I know I'm kinda making up my own definitions, and they don't fit most peoples definitions, (EX: technically Compton CA is a suburb, but IMO its inner city not based upon crime but density, etc.) but sense these terms are so loose I thought it would be a good idea to lay out ground rules. so there's no confusion as to whats what and how opinions differ.

Using this poll myself, I was mostly raised in the city.

Last edited by Observation; 02-20-2011 at 11:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 10:55 PM

562 posts, read 989,798 times
Country, but I would say semi-urban given your definitions since for the rest of the thread I will be pegged as an uneducated hick due the "country's" negative stigma.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:05 PM

639 posts, read 1,290,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoness View Post
Country, but I would say semi-urban given your definitions since for the rest of the thread I will be pegged as an uneducated hick due the "country's" negative stigma.
Anyone who thinks people from the country are all uneducated hicks. They are probably pretty uneducated and stupid themselves and are not worth you even paying no mind to.

I just layed down the ground rules so we can get a more accurate look into the demographics here, because everyones definitions of each one seems to differ so much.

Last edited by Observation; 02-20-2011 at 11:15 PM..

Old 02-20-2011, 11:16 PM

562 posts, read 989,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Observation View Post
Anyone who thinks people from the country are all uneducated hicks. They are probably pretty uneducated and stupid themselves and are not worth you even paying no mind to.
I agree but its the nature of the beast in the case of this forum.

Quote:
I just layed down the ground rules so we can get a more accurate look into the demographics here, because everyones definitions of each one seems to differ so much.
I'm looking forward to what people say.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:26 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,107,907 times
I would say country in the sense that for a time, we were at least 50 miles away from a larger city and population was 50,000.

However, the late-90s/early-00s housing boom brought all bargain hunters up from the LA/OC areas and have pretty much transformed it into a suburb.
But, it's even sadder when many that haven't lived up here for that long still consider it a small town when there's well beyond 100,000 in the total area.

I guess that's normal when you move from an area where you could easily drown in a sea of people.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:37 PM

994 posts, read 1,831,750 times
Inner city here. Grew up all my life in a neighborhood that is only about 5 miles northwest of Chicago's downtown. Very solid middle class neighborhood, dense enough but not too dense, and very diverse.

I also have lived in a small town for about a year and half for college that had a population of about 70k in the middle of nowhere. Totally different experience.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:02 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,547,803 times
City. I was raised in the Sunset District of San Francisco (west side, near the ocean). About as close to a "suburb" as you'll find within the city limits. Block after block of stucco rowhouses built during the 1930s. Heavily Irish when I was a kid, a little over half Chinese now. Interesting watching the shift when I was a teenager in the 1970s.

Last edited by jeffredo; 02-21-2011 at 01:08 AM..

Old 02-21-2011, 12:21 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,919,305 times
Low-density, kind of woodsy suburban. Suburban, though, not exurban or country. My home town is not out in orchard country.

The definitions in the opening post talked about lack of access to public transit as indicative of a suburban setting, but you can walk to a commuter rail stop from the house where I grew up. This was in the Boston metro area, though, and I think allowances have to be made for areas like Boston, with extensive public transportation systems. In such metro areas public transit extends into the kinds of suburban areas outside the city where there usually would not be much public transit in the most typical American metro areas. The predominant character of my home town was large yard, woods and fields scattered among the residential neighborhoods, suburban.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:28 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,948,125 times
Suburbs I suppose.

I was raised here: //www.city-data.com/city/Home-G...alifornia.html

An unincorporated area wedged between a suburb (Corona) and a city (Riverside). It's not particularly dense, but there is a high amount of people per household. The Riverside Transit Agency buses go up and down the main thoroughfares.

It's poor to middle class, and a lot of the residents speak Spanish as a first language. The bell of the walking ice cream man (that also only habla espanol) is a common sound, as are weekend soccer games at the local elementary school.

There's gangs and graffiti, but also very low turnover. Some residents at the far southern end even have horses and chickens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:28 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,548,962 times
Inner City. Oakland, CA
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.