Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 11:03 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,072,296 times

Advertisements

According to this link, you are right about NY.

What State Has The Most Ski Resorts? - OnTheSnow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 07:02 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times
NY may have the most but they do not compare to the quality out west.... I mean it's nice being able to go skiing on a work night, and getting home at a reasonable hour , but the quality of a place like Colorado blows anything NY has out of the water.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:33 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
NY may have the most but they do not compare to the quality out west.... I mean it's nice being able to go skiing on a work night, and getting home at a reasonable hour , but the quality of a place like Colorado blows anything NY has out of the water.
I agree, but if you live by the Adirondacks, the skiing in that part of the state is alright.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I agree, but if you live by the Adirondacks, the skiing in that part of the state is alright.
yea, Gore and Whiteface are pretty good.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:53 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
yea, Gore and Whiteface are pretty good.
I am not sure about Gore but Whiteface was pretty good enough to have the Winter Olympics.

I have been on top of Whiteface but only during the summer so I do not know how the skiing is. I remember there were some great views of Lake Placid and other lakes, Montreal, Vermont mountains and I think even lake Champlain.

Supposedly Whiteface has some of the highest ski drops East of the Rockies. But alot of people probably never heard of it because its in New York State and after all who wants to ski in New York City!

Old 03-05-2011, 12:49 PM

726 posts, read 2,147,603 times
Ahh Whiteface, or Iceface as we like to call it, best in NY, second best in the east (imo). NY has a lot but only a couple are even worth the price of a lift ticket since the rest are small enough to walk them. Colorado wins this with Utah coming second. The size of the ski mountains, the elevation, the verticals. Everytime I go skiing I meet someone from another country who's travelled here to go skiing. It blows my mind. Colorado is the only place to be awarded an Olympics and reject it. Colorado powder, weather, elevation is second to none. In fairness Utah is pretty damn awesome too.

Old 03-05-2011, 03:16 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,546,238 times
When we have a good winter (like this one) Tahoe and Mammoth Mtn are damn hard to beat.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:28 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Speaking as an expert skier and snowboarder...Utah has probably the best combination of terrain and great snow(and usually lots of it). Snowbird/Alta just over the canyon from Solitude/Brighton over another canyon from Park City/Deer Valley/the Canyons and just an hour away from Powder Mountain and Snowbasin. Colorado has the most resorts--Telluride, Crested Butte, and Arapahoe Basin are my personal favorites, but some of the mountains like Vail and Breckenridge are kind of overly touristy---and kind of lacking real good expert terrain. California in a good year does have a lot of options---I'd say Mammoth might have some of the best terrain in the country and can compare favorably to just about anywhere. Heavenly is pretty close to the big Colorado-style resorts, Kirkwood is an expert's paradise, Squaw Valley is huge and awesome, and even the little resorts like Sugar Bowl are cool to check out.

But just about every state in the West has some good options for skiing...Oregon has Mt. Bachelor, Washington has Mt. Baker, Wyoming has Grand Targhee and Jackson Hole, Idaho has Schweitzer, and so on.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I am not sure about Gore but Whiteface was pretty good enough to have the Winter Olympics.

I have been on top of Whiteface but only during the summer so I do not know how the skiing is. I remember there were some great views of Lake Placid and other lakes, Montreal, Vermont mountains and I think even lake Champlain.

Supposedly Whiteface has some of the highest ski drops East of the Rockies. But alot of people probably never heard of it because its in New York State and after all who wants to ski in New York City!
Whiteface is good but it can get really icy.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:42 PM

614 posts, read 1,764,509 times
I'd say Montana or Colorado has the best skiing opportunities in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.