Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 11:10 PM

12 posts, read 50,673 times

Advertisements

My husband and I grew up west of Cleveland and now live in Toledo, OH. I hate winter, snow, cold weather (below 50! ), and cloudy overcast skies. I have finally gotten him to agree to move with me and my top choices are somewhere in the southwest. My criteria are reasonable housing (current house is $100K), job availability, sunshine, warm weather but not too hot or cold, low or no humidity, and need a yard for my dogs. I have more of a east coast mentality/morals than midwest (graduated from Oberlin if that helps), so midwest and south are probably out. Where should we move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2006, 08:20 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahbc View Post
My husband and I grew up west of Cleveland and now live in Toledo, OH. I hate winter, snow, cold weather (below 50! ), and cloudy overcast skies. I have finally gotten him to agree to move with me and my top choices are somewhere in the southwest. My criteria are reasonable housing (current house is $100K), job availability, sunshine, warm weather but not too hot or cold, low or no humidity, and need a yard for my dogs. I have more of a east coast mentality/morals than midwest (graduated from Oberlin if that helps), so midwest and south are probably out. Where should we move?
I know of some cheaper places in the U.S. Southwest that have mild winters that probably aren't very popular or expensive places to live.

*Las Cruces, NM; January is 57 F, July is 97 F. (Better than Phoenix with July at 105 F)

*Carlsbad NM; January 61 F, July 95 F.

(Most towns in southern NM seem to have winters in the 50's and summers in the 90's.)

*West Texas, southern half; similar to southern NM for weather.

*St. George, UT; (southwestern UT) January 55 F, July 103 F

*Perhaps there are still some nice affordable places in Arizona, away from popular places like Sedona, Phoenix and Tuscon.

Pretty much all I know is weather stats, but I hope that helps.

Old 11-18-2006, 03:44 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,390,275 times
Truthfully, I think it would be very difficult to find a house for under 100K that satisfies much of your criteria. Generally, those areas with the cheapest of homes tend to be in colder climates or rural areas with a conservative mindset and not a very promising economy.

I too would recommend checking out the areas around El Paso and Las Cruces, New Mexico. It's very cheap for a major metro area (not sure if under 100K is doable, at least not in nicer areas, but under 200K shouldn't be a problem), and while there is a definite drop in temperatures in Winter, it's certainly nowhere near Ohio-like. There's lots of sun, low humidity and natural beauty.

Old 11-18-2006, 07:24 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,081,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
Truthfully, I think it would be very difficult to find a house for under 100K that satisfies much of your criteria. Generally, those areas with the cheapest of homes tend to be in colder climates or rural areas with a conservative mindset and not a very promising economy.

I too would recommend checking out the areas around El Paso and Las Cruces, New Mexico. It's very cheap for a major metro area (not sure if under 100K is doable, at least not in nicer areas, but under 200K shouldn't be a problem), and while there is a definite drop in temperatures in Winter, it's certainly nowhere near Ohio-like. There's lots of sun, low humidity and natural beauty.

I was going to suggest southeast OH. Its alot milder than Toledo OH and houses are just as affordable. The other options are Texas and Georgia but they arent as cheap as OH. That person is looking at between $100k and $200k for a decent house in a decent neighboorhood. Thats 6 figures which is alot of money! I personally will most likley be moving to either OH, WV or PA. Yes its a little cold in the winter but its where the cheap houses are in the quiet low crime areas. Texas and Georgia have cheap areas but the crime makes me uneasy

Old 11-19-2006, 08:39 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,480,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
I was going to suggest southeast OH. Its alot milder than Toledo OH and houses are just as affordable. The other options are Texas and Georgia but they arent as cheap as OH. That person is looking at between $100k and $200k for a decent house in a decent neighboorhood. Thats 6 figures which is alot of money! I personally will most likley be moving to either OH, WV or PA. Yes its a little cold in the winter but its where the cheap houses are in the quiet low crime areas. Texas and Georgia have cheap areas but the crime makes me uneasy
Not speaking for the original poster, but southeast OH doesn't come to mind when I think of "sunny and warm" I'm looking for the same thing, and OH doesn't come anywhere close to my radar.

From what I've researched, I would second the El Paso/Las Cruces suggestion. Their winters seem outright pleasant (to me, anyway), both cities have universities so there are educational/cultural opportunities, and do seem on the inexpensive side. If the graduate program I want was available in either city, I'd have seriously considered going there.

Old 11-19-2006, 11:02 AM

12 posts, read 50,673 times
What about Carlsbad, NM?

About five years ago I spent a few weeks camping in NM (Bernalillo and Taos) for a geology field camp. I remember lots of sand, cactus, no-see-ums, rattlesnakes, and huge flying beetle-things. Are Carlsbad and Las Cruces comparable to Bernalillo and Taos?

Henderson, NV seems expensive as far as housing goes. What about the outskirts/rural areas?

Old 11-19-2006, 03:26 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,905,951 times
Actually, you can find housing in that range here in the Charlotte area. Some of the suburban areas around here have older mill homes that have been kept up nicely. They're older and smaller, but in good shape, very charming, and in safe areas. Go to the NC/Charlotte forum on this site. There is a poster there, charlotteagent, who could point you in the right direction. You'd love it here. Great 4-season climate/sunny, lots of jobs, good reacreational assets, and great people. PM me if you want anything more specific. Good luck!!!

Old 11-19-2006, 05:00 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahbc View Post
What about Carlsbad, NM?

About five years ago I spent a few weeks camping in NM (Bernalillo and Taos) for a geology field camp. I remember lots of sand, cactus, no-see-ums, rattlesnakes, and huge flying beetle-things. Are Carlsbad and Las Cruces comparable to Bernalillo and Taos?

Henderson, NV seems expensive as far as housing goes. What about the outskirts/rural areas?
I don't know how Carlsbad compares with Bernalillo or Taos, but I think it's further south with milder winters and hotter summers, generally speaking. Carlsbad has some famous caverns.

Also if you like hot peppers like I do, New Mexico could be a cool place to live. A lot of varieties have been invented and grown in NM.

I don't know anything about Henderson, NV.

If you mind the humidity of northern Ohio summers, I wouldn't move to Charlotte NC. Pretty much think of a heat wave in northern OH and that's what regular summer weather is like in the Carolinas.

If you're never bothered by high humidity up here, you might love their summers just like I do. You will still see a lot more sun in the desert areas however, if consistant sunshine is important to you.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:57 PM

286 posts, read 677,873 times
Well,all I know at present,is that it is mid-August 2010 in Pittsburgh and we are into the"white Sky" part of summer.Wall to Wall clouds covering the sun for weeks on end.I would not go there were I you."GO West Young Man or Woman!"

Old 08-12-2010, 01:03 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,169,020 times
Go west
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.