Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2023, 10:27 AM

3,512 posts, read 9,424,594 times

Advertisements

Does this place exist in the Continental US?

Low risk of hurricanes, earthquakes, tornadoes and forest fires

Very walkable or bike friendly from the neighborhoods to the grocery store to the downtown

No poverty or ghetto type of high crime neighborhoods within the whole Metropolitan Area

Further than 30 miles from a nuclear power plant

Has more sunny days than cloudy days

Don't need a heavy coat since it is warm most of the year

Must be large enough to have some good amenities for shopping and entertainment such as a large organic grocery store, local festivals and things to do.

Ideally over 200,000 in population in the Metropolitan Area

Is a welcoming community to newcomers and northerners

It is a beautiful place without any eyesores, most the city and neighborhoods are well maintained
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2023, 10:46 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,697,411 times
Certainly sounds a little aspirational to me.

I'm thinking of places like Huntsville, Chattanooga, Knoxville, Midtown ATL, CO Springs/Denver (will still need a coat and deal with fire risk), Prescott, Flagstaff, NWA.

Again, none of these will meet all of your criteria.

Old 06-26-2023, 12:06 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,131,933 times
I don't think there is such a thing, if there were, it would be over run by people wanting to move there, with extreme high prices. Here in Sammamish, WA for example the only 2 of your needs not met being the weather, we get only 155 sunny days, and need a coat from October-June. Even so, with all the rest met, we are at a median home price of $1.6 million. I grew up in a city that does actually meet most of your needs, but again not all. With many hills, and without major shopping or entertainment, Lafayette CA would require taking the rail system (BART) to San Francisco or at least Walnut Creek for that. There, the median home price is $2.2 million, and that's after a drop of 19.6% from last year.

Old 06-26-2023, 01:45 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
This is hilarious.

No but seriously, you can probably build a town like this. You can hire people to be friendly to you but you have to pay them at least $250,000 so they don't turn you off with being poor. I'm not sure if it's going to economically viable to pay city employees, garbage men, baristas, or ski resort employees enough to not be too poor in your vicinity. It will he a tall order but I'm ready to move to this town for these great wages to to rid myself from breathing the same air as the middle class.

Old 06-26-2023, 01:50 PM

6,790 posts, read 4,233,580 times
Every metropolitan area in the country - and dare I say world - will have a poor area. The people who bring you coffee, clean your toilets and cook the food all need to live somewhere. I guess the only solution would be to kill all the poor and have robots perform those tasks.

Old 06-26-2023, 01:59 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Every metropolitan area in the country - and dare I say world - will have a poor area. The people who bring you coffee, clean your toilets and cook the food all need to live somewhere. I guess the only solution would be to kill all the poor and have robots perform those tasks.
Why do they need to live somewhere? Seems icky.

Old 06-26-2023, 05:14 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,284,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post

Low risk of hurricanes, earthquakes, tornadoes and forest fires

Very walkable or bike friendly from the neighborhoods to the grocery store to the downtown

No poverty or ghetto type of high crime neighborhoods within the whole Metropolitan Area

Further than 30 miles from a nuclear power plant

Has more sunny days than cloudy days

Don't need a heavy coat since it is warm most of the year

Must be large enough to have some good amenities for shopping and entertainment such as a large organic grocery store, local festivals and things to do.

Ideally over 200,000 in population in the Metropolitan Area

Is a welcoming community to newcomers and northerners

It is a beautiful place without any eyesores, most the city and neighborhoods are well maintained
No poverty in the whole metro eliminates almost everywhere.

Nowhere will be perfect, but Santa Barbara and Naples may come closest.

Old 06-27-2023, 01:38 PM

4,397 posts, read 4,286,737 times
Old Town Scottsdale.

Old 06-27-2023, 03:03 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,540,278 times
“The poor you will always have with you” - Mark 14:7

Old 06-27-2023, 03:23 PM

16,075 posts, read 10,735,467 times

Not in the US.

You might be able to find half of that somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.