Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 07:04 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The laws did not exist everywhere. See my previous post.

Legalized segregation involved much more than just public schools.

For instance, the ICC did not ban segregated interstate transportation until 1961. Before that, it was practiced throughout the nation.

Similarly, it was 1957 before New York became the first state to ban racial discrimination in housing, both purchased and leased. Before that, discrimination was common and enforced by the law. There was no specific law which said blacks could not rent certain apartments, but in practice that's what happened and appealing to the courts or law had little effect.

The same can be said of restaurants, theaters and other public services. While black people were not specifically banned from such places by law, the common practice was that they would not be served, if not physically thrown out, and the law would not help them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 07:24 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
This is an interesting thread.

A couple of years ago, I read a story in the New York Times about a southern town--for some reason I am thinking it was in Tennessee--where some development was going on in a certain area. Part of the property where the development was had once been a municipal swimming pool, but only white people could swim there. When the segregation laws changed, rather than allow black people to swim in the town pool, the town simply filled it in with dirt and covered it over. The story came up when the developer excavated the old swimming pool and the Times interviewed people who remembered when the pool was open. Many of them were very vague about it, just referring to "back when all that stuff was going on" and how the town decided that the best way to handle integration at the town swimming pool was to just not have a pool.
That was Colorado, and it was Hispanics, not blacks. Of course, there is a possibility it happened in Tennessee, too. I can't find a link. The story has been in our local papers.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:00 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
That was Colorado, and it was Hispanics, not blacks. Of course, there is a possibility it happened in Tennessee, too. I can't find a link. The story has been in our local papers.
No, this story was definitely about African-Americans and took place in the south. I will try to find it.

But interesting about the Colorado incident, as well.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:15 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
No, this story was definitely about African-Americans and took place in the south. I will try to find it.

It was in Stonewall MS: Unearthing a Town Pool, and Not for Whites Only - New York Times

It seems that a whites-only swimming pool was also uncovered in Philadelphia back in 2009, but it was still being used. A “Whites only” swimming pool? Take action! - Jack & Jill Politics

Old 04-23-2011, 11:21 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
It was in Stonewall MS: Unearthing a Town Pool, and Not for Whites Only - New York Times

It seems that a whites-only swimming pool was also uncovered in Philadelphia back in 2009, but it was still being used. A “Whites only†swimming pool? Take action! - Jack & Jill Politics
You gave me a new search term. I found the article about Lafayette, CO.

Colorado Hometown Weekly (http://www.coloradohometownweekly.com/news-story-lafayette.asp?ID=6141 - broken link)

Old 04-23-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:

Here we go. Mississippi, not Tennessee. I knew it was a southern state with a lot of double letters, lol.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/18/us...ewanted=1&_r=1

Old 04-23-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post

It seems that a whites-only swimming pool was also uncovered in Philadelphia back in 2009, but it was still being used. A “Whites only” swimming pool? Take action! - Jack & Jill Politics
Should have refreshed my screen before I posted the article. Thanks, and thanks for the additional article. 2009, wow.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:08 PM

404 posts, read 1,094,840 times
safe?

Old 04-29-2011, 11:44 AM

3,958 posts, read 2,573,640 times
I thought I would share a timely broadcast.

Fresh Air broadcast a the program called A Freedom Ride Organizer On Non-Violent Resistance.

CORE's early groups of Freedom Riders rode buses through the Southern states, to see to it that the Supreme Court decision banning segregation in bus terminals was actually being enforced. The resulting drama focused national attention on the violence of Southern racism.

"By the time the buses reached Montgomery, [Ala.,] one of the buses had been burned to the ground," he said. "Freedom Riders had been brutally beaten. Jim Peck, a white Freedom Rider from New York was left for dead, lying in a pool of his own blood and he had 56 stitches taken in his head."

You can go listen to the broadcast by clicking below. It's will be available about 5 pm today or read the transcript on the same page.

James Farmer Jr., Freedom Ride Organizer On Non-Violent Resistance : NPR

Old 04-30-2011, 01:09 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Legalized segregation involved much more than just public schools.

For instance, the ICC did not ban segregated interstate transportation until 1961. Before that, it was practiced throughout the nation.

Similarly, it was 1957 before New York became the first state to ban racial discrimination in housing, both purchased and leased. Before that, discrimination was common and enforced by the law. There was no specific law which said blacks could not rent certain apartments, but in practice that's what happened and appealing to the courts or law had little effect.

The same can be said of restaurants, theaters and other public services. While black people were not specifically banned from such places by law, the common practice was that they would not be served, if not physically thrown out, and the law would not help them.
Segregated public transportation was not practiced throughout the nation, it was only practiced in the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.