Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 05:56 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times

Advertisements

Is case anyone has noticed... after 90 years of gasoline of gasoline being under $1 a gallon we are now happy when it is below $3!! Geologists tell us that no matter how much we drill or mine there is no way to bring prices back down.

So which areas to live? To some extent you could say the places doing good before the oil economy started 100 years ago would be fine -> river/ coastal cities in regions with good farmland. An aestrick on that would be that in 1859 no one had experienced the luxuries of an oil economy. As people's standards of living decline with their former luxuries in their memories most people expect massive amounts of violence over resources (both locally and on a global scale).

Anyway, there are lots of places which should thrive. I'll be a homer vote for Kentucky because we have (FOOD/ BIO FUEL) great land (KY was the ag powerhouse of America pre 1860), we have lots of streams and rivers (WATER), lots of cities built along the Ohio River that could again become industrial powers (JOBS) as shipping from China is no longer economical and we have lots of people that still know how to live a traditional lifestyle (lots of Amish, also Rednecks). (KNOWLEDGE OF PRE OIL SURVIVAL TECHNIQUES)

As the world runs out of cheap fossil fuels and the economy built around it starts to desegregate, which places would you want to be living?

Last edited by censusdata; 04-20-2011 at 06:10 PM.. Reason: I had throw in some CAPS hahaha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 06:03 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
The Pacific Northwest wouldn't be that bad a spot. West of the Cascades temperatures are pretty mild--you can survive without much heating in the winter or air conditioning in the summer. Plus we've got plenty of hydro-electric power from the Columbia River(enough that power is pretty cheap currently in the region). And we've got plenty of winter snowfall and spring rains to keep most rivers and lakes full through the year--no serious water shortages except in rare yearss. Cities aren't that spread-out due to urban growth boundaries in the region--most cities have good public transit systems. Lots of productive farmland down in the Willamette Valley and plenty of timber in the foothills of the Cascades and Coast Range.

Last edited by Deezus; 04-20-2011 at 06:50 PM..

Old 04-20-2011, 06:16 PM

84 posts, read 157,458 times
I am not worried about it. Green Energy is already possible, it's just a matter of when it's cheaper and more profitable than oil.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:33 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,953,705 times
AFAIK, the world is running out of cheap oil. There's plenty of cheap coal and cheap natural gas for the time being. Since most people rely on coal for electricity and natural gas for heat, peak oil will initially and primarily affect transportation. Thus, I would recommend places with good public transit, or at the least, places where you can live with minimal driving.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:34 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanandneedtobeloved View Post
I am not worried about it. Green Energy is already possible, it's just a matter of when it's cheaper and more profitable than oil.
You don't understand this simply fact...

bio fuels only give you one year worth of stored solar energy
(ALSO increases in ag output have mainly been due to petroleum fertilizer/ pesticides/ cheap transportation)

fossil fuels give you millions of years worth of stored solar energy

Obviously humans will use renewables when nothing else is left but they can not replace in full the amount of energy we get from fossil fuels. When oil was discovered in 1859 there were 1 billion humans. today there are 7 billion. Our planet is vastly over capacity when fossil fuels are totally gone in a few centuries.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
You don't understand this simply fact...

bio fuels only give you one year worth of stored solar energy
(ALSO increases in ag output have mainly been due to petroleum fertilizer/ pesticides/ cheap transportation)

fossil fuels give you millions of years worth of stored solar energy

Obviously humans will use renewables when nothing else is left but they can not replace in full the amount of energy we get from fossil fuels. When oil was discovered in 1859 there were 1 billion humans. today there are 7 billion. Our planet is vastly over capacity when fossil fuels are totally gone in a few centuries.
I still think we will persevere. We will just need to make our designs more efficient that's all. People have been talking about a Malthusian population disaster and peak oil for decades/centuries and it hasn't happened.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:38 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,953,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanandneedtobeloved View Post
I still think we will persevere. We will just need to make our designs more efficient that's all. People have been talking about a Malthusian population disaster and peak oil for decades/centuries and it hasn't happened.
Of course we'll persevere. Its not like we'll just curl up in a ball an die. But our standard of living will take a huge hit as energy becomes more expensive.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Of course we'll persevere. Its not like we'll just curl up in a ball an die. But our standard of living will take a huge hit as energy becomes more expensive.
perhaps, but i dont think it will be nearly as bad as some people think. in fact, it probably wont be much worse than the current economic decession. and the transition to Green will probably take place over a couple decades, so slow that you wouldn't even notice it.

i could be totally wrong though. i don't have a crystal ball.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:44 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,915,578 times
I wouldn't consider any place that didn't have a good transit system. Portland Oregon would be perfect if their bus/light rail system didn't shut down overnight.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
I wouldn't consider any place that didn't have a good transit system. Portland Oregon would be perfect if their bus/light rail system didn't shut down overnight.
I wouldn't say it shuts down overnight. Really, just from 1 AM to 4 AM is when there's not much running.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.