Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state(s) do you prefer?
Alabama 22 19.30%
South Carolina 36 31.58%
Louisiana 17 14.91%
Kentucky 19 16.67%
Oklahoma 21 18.42%
I like/enjoy all of these states 12 10.53%
Shoot, let meh git mah chew'n baccy. 15 13.16%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 01:58 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I've not been to most of those places, so I really shouldn't have voted. But I picked Louisiana because I absolutely love and adore that state. I would even try to move there if it wasn't for the extreme storms ~ that's the deal-breaker.

Have had an urge to visit the Carolinas, though.
Not many hurricanes severely damage Louisiana, especially on the more inland cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 02:19 PM

800 posts, read 1,463,158 times
South Carolina is a hidden gem, no doubt about it. It's where I was born and grew up, and I love it.

It's too bad that it gets such a bad rap in the national press, and it seems like every time SC is in the news, it's for something embarrassing (Mark Sanford's escapades, Alvin Greene's nonsensical ramblings, the Amazon fiasco, etc.). I guess it serves as a blessing, though, by keeping the hordes of people away...because if everyone knew just how good the quality of life was there, they'd flock to SC en masse!

Old 05-24-2011, 02:23 PM

518 posts, read 448,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamatravels View Post
South Carolina is a Secret Gem when it comes to beauty, culture, colleges and universities. There is no rivalry that means more to the people involved then USC/Clemson there is more passion between these two schools than any I've ever personally witnessed, and I've been to a lot (22) other big rivalry games in the country. There are so many other beautiful small schools in the state. There is no place more historically rich then South Carolina. The weather is perfect with all four seasons. More beach line and better beach atmosphere than any of the gulf states combined. Best Shrimp in the Country. Don't believe me? Try the shrimp fresh off the boat from the Carolina waters. Far superior than Louisiana Gulf Shrimp. It is a state that is true to Southern Living. Food is Phenomenal! Most of the beaches are secluded with a back drop of pines and Palmetto trees. They are so beautiful and very private feeling. Not to mention some of the best fishing in the Country. Ranked 2nd in best golf courses just behind Hawaii in Golf Digest. Last but not least the people, especially the women, are absolutely beautiful. They have excellent genes in that state.

Just so you know I'm not from SC nor do I live or have family there. I am from Alabama. I travel a lot and I write. However through all my travels I fell in love with this state. There is no other like it. Feels very much like home. I hate to say this because Alabama is where I work and live but South Carolina has it beat by far, yet Alabama is in my #2 spot. Yes it does hurt to talk about USC/Clemson over Alabama/Auburn but I write fairly and try to be as non-bias as possible. If you get a chance, visit SC and see for yourself. I'm sure SC residents will not like me writing that as they are very protective of their state, not wanting a flux of tourist.
I agree with a lot of this but respectfully disagree about the beaches, the seafood, and the rivalry. First of all, I've been to Atlantic beaches in Florida and on their best day they can't begin to touch the beauty of Northwest Florida's Gulf Coast beaches and water. The stretch from Orange Beach, AL over to Navarre, Destin, and PCB are as pretty as beaches get in the Lower 48 besides maybe the Florida Keys. No comparison if we're strictly talking beaches and the water. As for food, New Orleans seafood and dining is better. Charleston is high quality but not quite on the level of New Orleans. The South Carolina/Clemson rivalry IS underrated but let's not get carried away here. The Alabama/Auburn rivalry is right up there close to the Ohio State/Michigan and Army/Navy in the rankings of greatest college rivalries of all time.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:28 PM

299 posts, read 641,582 times
Quote:
It's too bad that it gets such a bad rap in the national press, and it seems like every time SC is in the news, it's for something embarrassing (Mark Sanford's escapades, Alvin Greene's nonsensical ramblings, the Amazon fiasco, etc.). I guess it serves as a blessing, though, by keeping the hordes of people away...because if everyone knew just how good the quality of life was there, they'd flock to SC en masse!
That' is a great to look at it. I however pay no mind to mainstream propaganda and believe SC is a lovely state.

Old 05-24-2011, 04:55 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Star Rooster View Post
South Carolina is a hidden gem, no doubt about it. It's where I was born and grew up, and I love it.

Fortunately, the Amazon fiasco is starting to correct itself. While I do have my issues with my home state, I agree that such embarrassing national stories overshadow much of the good that exists there.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:55 PM

5,000 posts, read 9,147,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 205 View Post
I agree with a lot of this but respectfully disagree about the beaches, the seafood, and the rivalry. First of all, I've been to Atlantic beaches in Florida and on their best day they can't begin to touch the beauty of Northwest Florida's Gulf Coast beaches and water. The stretch from Orange Beach, AL over to Navarre, Destin, and PCB are as pretty as beaches get in the Lower 48 besides maybe the Florida Keys. No comparison if we're strictly talking beaches and the water. As for food, New Orleans seafood and dining is better. Charleston is high quality but not quite on the level of New Orleans. The South Carolina/Clemson rivalry IS underrated but let's not get carried away here. The Alabama/Auburn rivalry is right up there close to the Ohio State/Michigan and Army/Navy in the rankings of greatest college rivalries of all time.

I agree from Orange Beach,Al to Panama City Florida that emerald/turquoise colored water and Sugar white sand can not be touched !

Old 06-09-2011, 12:48 PM

2 posts, read 3,310 times
Those are valid points and I agree with the quality of sand on the gulf beaches. However I’ve lived in the Gulf region for just over 28 years now and have been to many of the beaches in the panhandle and in Alabama that are noteworthy. The water in the gulf is not as clean as it appears. Statistics from Gulf Base Oceanography studies show that every year it’s a cyclic pattern of increased harmful bacteria levels that peak and return to normal usually twice a year correlating with the US rainy seasons. The gulf has a stagnant smell almost a sweet smell to it at times; I’ve smelled it as far south as Tampa Bay, FL. There is a growing “Dead Zone” in the gulf caused by increase of nutrient rich and oxygen depleted water that is the size of New Jersey and is uninhabitable and growing in size. This is caused from tributary runoff. This is one of the main reasons I think the Carolina Shrimp taste so much better. (Cleaner water = cleaner shrimp, especially bottom feeder like shrimp.)
Member 205: Just experiencing the East coast of Florida is far different than those beaches of the Low country of South Carolina. Florida East coast does not compare to SC either and I agree as appearances the west coast is prettier than Florida East Coast.
The problem with the Rivalry is yes Auburn/Alabama are bigger more notable programs that have more national coverage. Yet the Carolina/Clemson rivalry is going on the 108 consecutive games this year and is currently one of the oldest and longest running rivalries in Division I NCAA history. They use to be played on what is called “big Thursday” for the first 63 years. It was also declared an annual state holiday allowing businesses and banks to close specifically for the game. For the first game, Clemson road on horse and wagon 135 miles with two thousand fans following to meet Carolina with approximately the same number of fans in Columbia in 1896. The passion is still felt today and in my personal experience as an outsider the atmosphere is more intense and more passionate than any I’ve seen. You can cut the tension with a knife, it’s a little scary being in the stands. No one sits the entire game the standing room only is sold out and fights in the stands break out everywhere. It’s borderline insane and I had a hard time enjoying myself in the midst of it all. I’ve been told it’s like that if not worse every year.
After a few emails to my previous post I feel it necessary to back up my claims with a few facts for the reason I formulated my opinion of SC over the years.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:26 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,020,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Star Rooster View Post

Don't feel bad as there is plenty of embarrassment elsewhere. The Katrina fiasco in La was very embarrassing. How the whole thing was mishandled and the field day the media had with some of the people mainly those with the "entitlement" attitude rather than the take care of it attitude. It shed a bad bad light on who Louisiana people are.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:38 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,007,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
Don't feel bad as there is plenty of embarrassment elsewhere. The Katrina fiasco in La was very embarrassing. How the whole thing was mishandled and the field day the media had with some of the people mainly those with the "entitlement" attitude rather than the take care of it attitude. It shed a bad bad light on who Louisiana people are.
Please excuse my ignorance if I'm wrong, but I heard once some years back that the Katrina catastrophe in New Orleans was years in the making, like predicted to be hit by a major hurricane like 20 years earlier. The city kept putting off the mantinence of the levies and the city's internal corruption doomed the city (that's the explanation I've heard.)

I know other parts of Louisiana were very well prepared but New Orleans seemed, different, in that regard, so please excuse me if I'm wrong about Nawlins' internal workings in the decades leading up to the hurricane.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:16 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
The levees weren't up to spec. You can't predict weather, but it was only a matter of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.