Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 02:09 PM

178 posts, read 361,036 times

Advertisements

the ATM's in this country should give options for Cherokee, Ojibwa, Winnebago, Navaho, Lakota, Seminole, Algonquin etc.

because those are native languages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 02:12 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Analog Man View Post
This is my thoughts too. English first, always. Every other language second.
I'm relieved! I thought for certain I'd be bombarded with opposition and insulted again. XD

Seems to be a trend around here.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:21 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,676,224 times
I love the story of my Finnish ancestors who came here to and forced their kids to speak English no matter what. Finnish was unacceptable. Only if today's immigrants had that attitude

Old 05-17-2011, 03:09 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
It wasn't until WWI that a large number of schools in the Midwest stopped teaching classes in German. English is just the language of the government, but honestly if you were to walk around 100 years ago - you'd find a LOT more people who didn't speak English around the country than you do today.

Today it's all different because we're all conntected to each other 24 hours a day. We hear and see everything going on in every city and town out there. Before WWI small cities/towns existed much more on their own. You would have settlements that spoke Swedish (like the town in Iowa where my family came from), German, French, Dutch, etc.

Even in big cities people went to where their "people" lived. In Chicago you had vast areas of Italians, Swedes, Germans, Poles and other nationalities who normally lived in select areas of the city with their own kind. Don't think they all came and learned English on day 1.

I still know friends in Chicago who's parents and grandparents speak nothing but Greek or Polish.

Today we all speak English because after a few hundred years and the lack of European immigration during the past century - it's become the common denominator. There have been enough generations go by with lower immigration levels that most of us are English speakers by now.

We just notice more that there's a very large group out there speaking another language, but this is certainly nothing new. I think what's new is instead of a dozen or so "smaller" languages being spoken, it's one language spoken by people from dozens of countries (Spanish). It's a larger base.

I don't see anything wrong with it. Normally by the second generation people know English, and by the third generation it's probably all they tend to speak. We're just seeing a large immigration of people during the past 30 years.

Immigration to the USA was strong during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. By 1970, the number of first generation immigrants had dropped to below 10 million. Then the new wave started and we're currently at around 40 million first generation.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:54 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
It wasn't until WWI that a large number of schools in the Midwest stopped teaching classes in German.
There was a movement in the 1800's to make German the official language of Texas.

German and Czech were the dominant ethnicities in Texas in the 1800's.

Nevertheless the original 13 colonies were English and it is to these that we joined and formed the US. So the Johnny-come-lately's can do as everyone has been doing for the last 200 years

Old 05-17-2011, 06:46 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,458,810 times
There is no official language but there really needs to be.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:07 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
There is no official language but there really needs to be.
I vote for Cantonese

Old 05-17-2011, 08:38 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towwe View Post
Canada has both English and French as official language. Does that make them part Latin Americans? French is a latin language too.

Being bilingual or trilingual country does not mean all residents are bi-trilingual. It means that government places offer bi-trilingual language.
But Canada is not a Spanish speaking country so you can't really compare the two.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:50 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,458,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I vote for Cantonese
exactly what i was thinking

Old 05-17-2011, 09:52 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I vote for Cantonese
Gosh that is...

unhelpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.