Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 07:04 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times

Advertisements

Are you glad you grew up where you did, or would you rather have grown up somewhere else, or under different geographical circumstances?

I lived every day of my childhood in the same Wisconsin farm town. But my dad was from Missouri, and I spent a few weeks every summer in his hometown. Playing with Missouri kids made me feel naive and protected, they were more worldly and adventurous, and had more street smarts and country smarts. They lived more dangerously, had more accidents, grew up faster. They also called adults 'sir' and 'ma'am'.

But I think the place I grew up suited my personality better. It was better for me to grow up in a more ordered environment. My town had no blacks, but they would have been integrated. Missouri towns had blacks, but they were segregated and racist (and still are). But my dad was racist, and I still had to learn tolerance on my own.

Missouri made me a bit of a "southern boy", which served me well when I went to college in Louisiana, which would have been harder for an insulated, provincial northerner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 08:52 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,467,333 times
I grew up in Pueblo, Colorado and I liked where I grew up but not when. What I mean is when I was a kid (the 80's) was when the steel industry collapsed and that was the cities largest employer. So most of my life Pueblo has not grown. Now its projected to grow 11 times more in the net 30 years then it did in the last 50 and if so the MSA would be 260,000 people in 30 years so the kids growing up now will more then likely know a prosperous Pueblo and that for me would have been more fun.

Old 05-28-2011, 12:12 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
I grew up in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia. To be honest, while being a black guy surrounded by other solid middle class blacks was a great thing, I think that growing up somewhere else more ethnically diverse like Houston or Dallas, would haev helped me more since at age 16 I moved from HR to Northern VA which is extremely diverse and that caught me off guard. Other than that I don't think I regret coming up in Hampton Roads, I lived in a solid neighborhood, had neighbors who I could count on when I needed help, can't ask for more.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:25 PM

27,575 posts, read 28,680,428 times
I would have loved to have grown up in New York City, especially Upper East Side Manhattan. Such an awesome place in every way.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:50 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I would have loved to have grown up in New York City, especially Upper East Side Manhattan. Such an awesome place in every way.
Same here regarding NYC.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:30 PM

5 posts, read 7,712 times
I'd like to have been born in Europe, and have learned English as a second language. Or yeah, in some big city like NYC or Chicago.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:35 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,107,907 times
Victorville began to slowly lose some of its rural fervor back when my stepdad moved us out here back in '87.
With more of a slightly urbanized lifestyle out here, I'm guessing he wanted us kids to grow up to be more "city-prepped" than country-style so-to-speak.

Being born in a farm area of Illinois and himself coming from a similar part of Indiana, he was more than used to, but getting tired of the slower-paced/predictable lifestyle living in a country area offered.

This was also prevalent due to the fact that we lived in places like Rolla, ND and Flagstaff, AZ for only short periods of time.

Unfortunately for him and my mom, the city-life never quite appealed to me and now I tell them I probably would've matured a lot quicker had we stayed in a more rural-centric state of the southwest.

Hiking, shooting, cave-exploring, camping, star-gazing, and a small populous are things I've grown to love.

The only thing I probably due that's urban-related is go to a gym to workout and see movies.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:08 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,328,014 times
I dont think I would have minded growing up in the mountains of Tennessee or Virginia, but Im happy that I grew up in Louisiana. It has been a lot of fun and my family is from all around the area. When I was younger I used to think it sucked here because of the heat and humidity asnd lack of mountains, but I came to appreciate what Louisiana does have. I honestly think Im where I belong.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:08 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,756,315 times
I would have rather grown up in the northern suburbs of Pittsburgh than the eastern suburbs.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:23 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,269,879 times
I would have rather grown up in the Iron Range or Duluth. The Eastside of Saint Paul was a pretty cool place to grow up though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.