Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 09:07 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,466,382 times

Advertisements

The Upper East Side in Manhattan votes about 50% Republican. These folks aren't anything like the stereotypical conservatives in "flyover country" though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 09:58 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times
There are a couple pretty dense neighborhoods in Brooklyn that went over 90% for McCain, such as Boro Park and Manhattan Beach. I think those are the densest urban areas in the country that went solid Republican.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:27 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
The densest county to go for McCain is indeed Staten Island. As I recall from a previous poster there might also be a dense neighborhood in Queens that went Republican even if Queens as a whole certainly did not.

Electoral Explorer - Election Results 2008 - The New York Times

Hialeah, Florida (in the Miami metro area) is listed as fairly densely populated and I believe it traditionally leans Republican. Even if it's not as Republican as I think it is it still might have Republican neighborhoods at least. I might go with it, or neighborhoods in it, as my main choice.

//www.city-data.com/city/Hialeah-Florida.html
List of United States cities by population density - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hialeah is a suburban sprawl of mostly smallish houses and lots paved over with concrete to park cars in their front yards behind fences and gates. It's no urban oasis. It's a very car dependent society filled mostly with conservative Cuban immigrants from the 60's and 70's and their less conservative offspring.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:31 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
The Upper East Side in Manhattan votes about 50% Republican. These folks aren't anything like the stereotypical conservatives in "flyover country" though.
See post #10 in this thread.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:36 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Isn't there a nice chunk of Brooklyn that's pretty conservative too?

Old 06-02-2011, 12:05 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Hialeah is a suburban sprawl of mostly smallish houses and lots paved over with concrete to park cars in their front yards behind fences and gates. It's no urban oasis. It's a very car dependent society filled mostly with conservative Cuban immigrants from the 60's and 70's and their less conservative offspring.
I know, but it's in an urban area and is an area of high population density. Maybe the person specified "no cars, walking-oriented" but if so I missed that.

Okay Staten Island or parts of Queens. Some places called "Ozone Park" and "Auburndale" look to be represented by Republicans in the NYC City Council. Or maybe some place in Cincinnati. One of the Republican members of their city council lives in a neighborhood called North Avondale.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:45 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,268,846 times
South Brooklyn is extremely conservative in parts. Just look at this map of the 2008 election:

New York is actually fairly conservative outside Manhattan and the Bronx. If Republicans controlled the state legislature and governorship, they could easily draw 3 federal congressional districts in NYC that all would have went for McCain in the 08 election. One in Staten Island dipping into Brooklyn, one in South Brooklyn, and one north Queens. South Brooklyn has been one of the fastest trending Republican areas in the country. The district represented by, of all people, Rep Weiner (lol) has went from a D+25 to a D+3 district in the last decade.

That neighborhood just to the left of where it says Ocean Pkwy (anyone know the name?) went for McCain at over 90%. That's more Republican than counties in rural West Texas!

Old 06-05-2011, 09:35 PM

195 posts, read 250,446 times
Do heavily Italian American neighborhoods in NYC tend to have a high percentage of people who vote Republican in presidential elections ?

Old 06-05-2011, 10:18 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,268,846 times
^I think the really conservative areas are Jewish. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:54 AM

1,528 posts, read 6,288,872 times
^
You're wrong. Although Williamsburgs here is more conservative, but that's because the population there is strongly religious. The people there are as Jewish as some country people are Christian. VERY conservative. McCain was Israel's friend, anyone who was as strongly Jewish as them and didn't vote for McCain was be mad.

Jews, as a whole, tend to be more lefties.

Taiwanese tend to be more right winged, so that explains Flushing too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.