Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2020, 10:14 PM

119 posts, read 63,180 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am a longtime City Data user so I know the more detailed I get the better. I am seeking to find a good fit in the United States, not for myself, but for friends of mine who have medical issues right now and are not City Data Users. I said I'd help them out and would appreciate any and all advice .

My friends are seeking to move. This will not be happening for awhile but they are having some issues finding the right place. I will attempt to explain what they are seeking and if there is anything I have not covered please let me know. I am seeking state suggestions or even specific towns.

They currently live in a major city in Texas. They do want out of there for a few reasons. Rents are going up. That is reason one. It has become so expensive there. It is also a very urban area and I think they would like to be somewhere less pricey and less urban.

It needs to be somewhere with good medical care. One of my friends has COPD and needs a place where it is not to far to a good hospital.

Budget..here is where it gets tricky. They want to rent, either an apartment or move to a mobile home. They have a budget of about 800 per month. I know that is not huge but I'd like to think there is somewhere that still has rentals in that price range. They are paying well over that now and it is breaking them. The market where they are is quite costly and rents go up regularly.

They also cannot be anywhere that is to cold for health reasons. They can go somewhere where it gets cool but not to a place where it drops anywhere under 30 degrees on a regular basis.

They do care about safety so somewhere without high crime.

What they do NOT care about:

schools. They have no children.

Politics..they are pretty much not into politics.

Jobs..they are retired.

Scenery..it does not matter if the state is flat or if it has mountains. They would not want to live directly on a beach but other than that, they are not limited.

So..they are seeking a state (or town or city) with apartments or mobile homes costing no more than 800 per month. Access to good medical care. A safe community.

They have done a little looking and looked at South Carolina but said there was some state law there where their 401k is taxed twice. (I hope I have that accurate).

I would appreciate any advice and feel free to ask questions if I have not provided enough information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2020, 06:42 AM

506 posts, read 478,000 times
Depending on their circumstances, they might be eligible for federal or state assistance, either for senior or disability. That's something to keep in mind. Check out these links as an example:

https://www.usa.gov/housing-help-audiences#item-36852

https://www.disabilitysecrets.com/re...efits-copd.htm

As for specific cities, I would research and find a state that offers good services and a safety net for seniors, even if taxes are a little higher and temperatures a little lower. They might find decent rent and a good hospital in a small college town/city.

Old 05-10-2020, 09:00 AM

10,073 posts, read 14,453,980 times
There are many areas that would work for them.

Off the top of my head, places where weather is mild, rents are low and has access to areas with good medical care options.

Athens, GA is about an hour from Atlanta and rents are incredibly affordable, weather is mild and Atlanta is not far for any serious medical care needed.
Cookeville, TN is about an hour and 15 min or so, about 80 miles, from Nashville. It is relatively affordable and is a big retirement area.
Jacksonville, FL suburbs in general are really affordable and has mild weather year round, with good medical close.
Winston Salem, NC or Greensboro, NC areas are mild, reasonably priced and have good medical.

Old 05-10-2020, 09:06 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,956,177 times
I'd recommend a city like Macon GA. It's a pretty area in the central part of the state and has many very safe areas to live in. Check out the Northwest, West and Southwest sections of the city. There are a good number of desirable housing options below $800 per month, and a very respectable hospital with lots of varying affiliated medical practices (Medical Center of Central Georgia).

https://www.apartments.com/macon-ga/...ozmig4H9-569vB
https://www.navicenthealth.org/servi...-center-1/home

Old 05-10-2020, 11:09 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,518,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
There are many areas that would work for them.

Off the top of my head, places where weather is mild, rents are low and has access to areas with good medical care options.

Athens, GA is about an hour from Atlanta and rents are incredibly affordable, weather is mild and Atlanta is not far for any serious medical care needed.
Cookeville, TN is about an hour and 15 min or so, about 80 miles, from Nashville. It is relatively affordable and is a big retirement area.
Jacksonville, FL suburbs in general are really affordable and has mild weather year round, with good medical close.
Winston Salem, NC or Greensboro, NC areas are mild, reasonably priced and have good medical.
I'm with JJ on these cities. But Winston-Salem and Greensboro are pretty pricey for southern cities.

Another place growing in size is inland slightly from Gulf Shores and Orange Beach, AL. Towns like Foley would be very good with defined pensions and social security non-taxed by the state. It gets cool in winter but not miserably cold.

I too like Cookeville, TN as they have a university there, decent healthcare and it's just 75 minutes to Nashville. Hilly enough but with two magnificent lakes 30 miles north and west.

Old 05-10-2020, 02:47 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
I'm with JJ on these cities. But Winston-Salem and Greensboro are pretty pricey for southern cities.
That couldn't be anymore false. Both Greensboro and Winston Salem have a cost of living below the national average and given their population size/location (as well as desirability) are a steal with their typical housing costs.

Examples? The median rent in the US is $1025 (for a one bedroom) and the median US home price for all cities is 200K

Greensboro apartments under $800
https://www.apartments.com/greensboro-nc/under-800/

Winston Salem apartments under $800
https://www.apartments.com/winston-salem-nc/under-800/

Greensboro homes from 150K-200K
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...00000?view=map

Winston Salem homes from 150K-200K
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...00000?view=map

Old 05-11-2020, 01:50 AM

5,522 posts, read 8,775,164 times
^^This. Plus Winston has Wake Forest Baptist Hospital, which is a teaching hospital, has a very good geriatric medical arm and is also a level 1 trauma center. Baptist should be able to meet any medical needs.

Old 05-14-2020, 09:26 AM

10,073 posts, read 14,453,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
Are you thinking about Raleigh or Asheville in North Carolina instead? Asheville is a pricey southern city and housing has especially gone up over the past couple decades and is pretty competitive overall.

Raleigh is growing well and there are a lot of northeastern transplants in the area, having driven up housing some as well.

Old 05-14-2020, 09:41 AM

13,355 posts, read 39,974,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sand and sea View Post
Hello. I am a longtime City Data user so I know the more detailed I get the better. I am seeking to find a good fit in the United States, not for myself, but for friends of mine who have medical issues right now and are not City Data Users. I said I'd help them out and would appreciate any and all advice .

My friends are seeking to move. This will not be happening for awhile but they are having some issues finding the right place. I will attempt to explain what they are seeking and if there is anything I have not covered please let me know. I am seeking state suggestions or even specific towns.

They currently live in a major city in Texas. They do want out of there for a few reasons. Rents are going up. That is reason one. It has become so expensive there. It is also a very urban area and I think they would like to be somewhere less pricey and less urban.

It needs to be somewhere with good medical care. One of my friends has COPD and needs a place where it is not to far to a good hospital.

Budget..here is where it gets tricky. They want to rent, either an apartment or move to a mobile home. They have a budget of about 800 per month. I know that is not huge but I'd like to think there is somewhere that still has rentals in that price range. They are paying well over that now and it is breaking them. The market where they are is quite costly and rents go up regularly.

They also cannot be anywhere that is to cold for health reasons. They can go somewhere where it gets cool but not to a place where it drops anywhere under 30 degrees on a regular basis.

They do care about safety so somewhere without high crime.

What they do NOT care about:

schools. They have no children.

Politics..they are pretty much not into politics.

Jobs..they are retired.

Scenery..it does not matter if the state is flat or if it has mountains. They would not want to live directly on a beach but other than that, they are not limited.

So..they are seeking a state (or town or city) with apartments or mobile homes costing no more than 800 per month. Access to good medical care. A safe community.

They have done a little looking and looked at South Carolina but said there was some state law there where their 401k is taxed twice. (I hope I have that accurate).

I would appreciate any advice and feel free to ask questions if I have not provided enough information.
My very active 87 year old mother recently moved to Cookeville, Tennessee, from a much larger city and loves it. She pays less than $800/month for a very nice apartment right downtown. She has a car but rarely uses it. She walks to the library, to her bank, to her financial planner, to the grocery store, to two different farmers markets (one all organic), to the performing arts center, to a park for free concerts and Shakespeare, and even to her two doctors since the large, regional hospital is also located downtown. There's no shortage of things to do, particularly for retirees, and it's definitely affordable.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 05-14-2020, 11:03 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,534,723 times
My first thought was Nashville, TN. Maybe Tallahassee, FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.