Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2011, 12:58 PM

178 posts, read 583,365 times

Advertisements

For the non-coastal major cities/towns in both states, which do you think has the nicest neighborhoods.

My idea of nice is: houses not too packed together in cookie cutters, mature trees, sidewalks possibly, not completely clear cut if it's a newer development, clean, safe::::PRETTY cared for yards/landscaped and clean (not trash in the streets-some sort of pride), friendly people and a sense of community. Old and new houses (on different streets probably) and still a close proximity to some sort of wildlife or trees/woods....As in you just don't see houses for miles and miles. You don't even feel like you are in/near the city. And also has the pretties surroundings-even if they are far away. I am talking about your average every day houses, not mansions, and not your "dream" house

I am grouping some of these larger areas together, but you can separate if you want. Or feel free to add any others you think relevant or if you just have a specific favorite!

You can put these in the order you prefer from best to worst, or just say the ones you like best! (I know my opinion of 'nice' is not what everyone will agree one) If anyone is really motivated add a pic of your fav street.

Charlottesville

Richmond

Harrisonburg

Lynchburg

Roanoke

Raleigh (C.H. and DURHAM)

Charlotte

Greensboro (WS and H.P.)

Asheville

Last edited by Bo; 06-27-2011 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: Moved from City vs. City at OP's request.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 05:33 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Check out Chapel Hill, neighboring Carrboro and Durham. Most of Chapel Hill, Central Carrboro and parts of Durham would meet your criteria well. The Durham neighborhoods of Trinity Park, Forest Hills, Hope Valley and Old West Durham would be a good fit. Parts of Greensboro and Winston Salem would work well too. The Guilford College neighborhood In Greensboro as well as the Ardmore neighborhood in Winston Salem would be my top recommendations there.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:47 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
I think you'd get better responses posting in the VA forum about the VA cities and in the NC forum about the NC cities. Your query is a little too specific for the General U.S. forum IMO.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:02 AM

996 posts, read 1,897,450 times
Charlotte has really good residential areas in South Charlotte. Asheville's pretty nice and safe too, but they are stuck up over there.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:21 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteNCRepublican View Post
Charlotte has really good residential areas in South Charlotte.
Agree. Myers Park and South Park are particularly lovely.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:11 AM

894 posts, read 2,315,638 times
The only cities on your list in Virginia that might fit your criteria is Harrisonburg and maybe Lynchburg. That's for within the city limits. Otherwise, I agree with everyone else, the North Carolina cities probably have more of what you're looking for.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:57 AM

3 posts, read 3,420 times
I want to live in Charlotte and raleigh b4 i die so bad

Old 06-29-2011, 11:46 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Like Charlotte, Raleigh has very lovely "in town" neighborhoods such as Hayes Barton, Five Points, Country Club Hills, Budleigh, Cameron Park, Anderson Park and Oakwood. These older neighborhoods are all "inside the beltline" and were established long before Raleigh became one of the "it" towns for relocations. They are more expensive than the newer burbs but offer a completely different sense of place than other parts of the city.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:11 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,572,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Agree. Myers Park and South Park are particularly lovely.
As well as Foxcroft in Charlotte....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.