Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 09:30 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times

Advertisements

If we want to go with states Nebraska and Utah are listed as quite different than Massachusetts on that silly/fun "Personality Map." Politically I think those two are very different than Massachusetts.

The United States of Mind - WSJ.com

Grand Island, Nebraska looks fairly cheap and low in people with Graduate Degrees or higher.

//www.city-data.com/city/Grand-...-Nebraska.html

St. George, Utah might be a bit more educated than you like but maybe okay otherwise.

//www.city-data.com/city/St.-George-Utah.html

Neither one looks to get people from the Northeast. Although St. George looks to get a fair amount from the West Coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 10:08 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Pittsburgh or a city in Ohio may be a good choice.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:54 AM

2,491 posts, read 4,469,504 times
The city that comes to mind that is about the farthest possible thing from Boston is Cheyenne, Wyo. But that's probably too much of a change.

It sounds like Cincinnati is a city you should definitely check out: the cost of living isn't high; I've never encountered any significant rudeness outside the ordinary random incident that could happen anywhere; yuppies don't overwhelm the city; and while there are a couple of universities in and around the city and also plenty of masters degree holders, there aren't too many that they're stumbling over each every day. Due to its location and history, Cincinnati is probably one of the few big cities influenced significantly by three distinct regions of the U.S. - the northeast, Midwest and south. The city has all four seasons in their entirety and the topography makes it much more visually interesting than nearby cities such as Columbus or Indianapolis.

And bradjl2009 is right about Pittsburgh being a good match too.

Good luck!

Old 07-06-2011, 04:56 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Wanderer View Post
I find Boston to have just about every trait I loathe:

1). High Cost of Living

2). Rude People

3). Yuppies

4). Too many colleges(read: a Masters degree doesn't stand out)

I'd love to find a few cities that are as opposite the above traits as possible. I do like the Northern Mid-west but it seems as if the contrarian utopia I seek might be harder to find there than it might be in the South - I'm not a fan of year-round warm weather(attracts too many transplants); However, I can be open to any place that meets the stated criteria.
OK, so you are looking for a city filled with uneducated, low income, nice people with a low cost of living. Not a fan of warm weather? Fall River, MA would be perfect for you. BTW, there are rude people everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.