Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2011, 07:31 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times

Advertisements

I like that a couple years back Tulsa was considering making a bid for the 2020 Olympics. That's right--Oklahoma's second most prominent city was thinking it had a longshot at the Olympics.

Committee eyes possible Tulsa bid for Olympics | Tulsa World
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 08:51 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
I like that a couple years back Tulsa was considering making a bid for the 2020 Olympics. That's right--Oklahoma's second most prominent city was thinking it had a longshot at the Olympics.

Committee eyes possible Tulsa bid for Olympics | Tulsa World
Haha might as well have been Bismark or Cheyenne.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:03 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
That's hilarious. It's still insanely hot in September in Houston. That's a fact.

The average temp is 89 in September. Down from 91 in August. It's the humidity that will kill you however.
Stop it. There's many people who actually enjoy Houston's weather. Besides, this wouldn't be the first time the Olympics has been hosted in a city with hot weather.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:22 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,417,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Miami may be also good choice....

Hurricane season dooms their chances...

Old 09-22-2011, 11:52 PM

765 posts, read 2,129,128 times
I would like to see Anchorage, Alaska host the winter Olympics.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:22 AM

1,717 posts, read 4,650,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Stop it. There's many people who actually enjoy Houston's weather.
No accounting for common sense or taste I suppose.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:23 AM

1,717 posts, read 4,650,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Hurricane season dooms their chances...
Excellent point. That would certainly be interesting.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:40 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
No accounting for common sense or taste I suppose.
people who like heat lack common sense and taste???

Old 11-15-2011, 04:09 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,938,943 times
Where to begin........

The the IOC will not pick any US cities anytime soon. This is one of the many reasons:

IOC expecting to reach revenue-sharing deal with USOC soon, says Rogge

Another reason is that the IOC want a "Compact" Olympics. So the person who posted this map below and thought this would be a feasible plan is absolutely what the IOC is trying to avoid:

St. Louis 2024 Olympics Venues - Google Maps

As for the cities in the south can't host the Summer Olympics because of the heat, well, the IOC is changing their minds about that. Doha, Qatar is placing their bid for the 2020 games and the IOC is realizing that the rules must change:

Olympics IOC chiefs give Doha green light for 2020 Olympics bid | Universal Sports

Now, if the planets align correctly and the USOC get their heads out of their ___________, the cities I can see hosting the Summer Olympics (SO) and if I were to be in charge of the Candidate City Bid Process would be Detroit or Los Angeles.

Detroit?!?!?! A few of you are probably laughing, but I did think of a great bid plan for DTW. It would be everything the IOC would like to see in a Host City.... and more. Taking ideas from the previous Sum/Win Olympics in the past and studying their + and -'s when building and hosting the Olympics, I'm sure it would be sucessful. But, DTW is the only city in Olympic history to bid for the SO unsucessfully for twenty years (from 1952 to 1972).

As for the Winter Olympics(WO).... Denver will never, ever host the Winter Olympics. It was mentioned before that Denver passed the law that any sporting venues will not be funded by tax payers. That was a stain for the US. Now granted Lake Placid hosted the WO in '80. The reason why they got to host the WO is that no other city put in their bid. We all know about the bribe scandal of SLC '02. Another stain!!!! One more stain anyone? 1960 Squaw Valley. The only time that the bobsled competition was not part of the WO program. WHY? Because they ran out of funds to build a bobsled venue. WOW! As for a Reno-Squaw Valley bid, that would be a no-go. Only one city can be named on the charter. They can host it together, but only one can have their name recognized! Let's imagine the dispute between the two cities on this one!

So. Let's recap:

1.) If the USOC doesn't give up their greediness, the IOC will pass them up! Chicago 2016 should jog the memory. Remember, The IOC is an entity that Charters the right for a city to host the SO/WO. That includes the revenues! The Olympics is a global right. Not a US right! The USOC needs that understanding. The Judges for the election process are from different parts of the world. That's why they'll get refused everytime. That's why there's no 2020 bid. The USOC said non of the cities were feasible. Nooooo. It's the thought the USOC can be greedy with the revenues and demand the IOC to see it their way. Guess what......

2.) The only two cities that can host the WO for the US in the future are Lake Placid or SLC. No one else. Not Seattle, Minneapolis, Boise, Portland, WV or any other cold, northern city. Remember....Compact Olympics! And of course Denver!

3.) Just b/c certain US cities have all these sporting venues doesn't mean they have a chance to host the Olympics. A lot of the existing football arenas will not meet IOC standards for the Opening/Closing ceremonies and Athletics' competitions. Trust me. The US has no such stadium. Go ahead and argue with me about the last statement, but it's true. And the LA Colesium renovated their stadium for football. They screwed up with that one. You would have to build a new one! Mass transit, hotel rooms, public infastructure, "compactness" and so-on are all factors for a good bid.

4.) With today's volatile economy, a US bid is out of the question. The bid year for the US should be for the 2028 Olympics. 2020's bid is now closed. 2024 have heavy hitters bidding. 2028 is the only feasible bid year.

Thanks for reading.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:53 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,737,566 times
Summer Olympics:

Washington, DC (x2)
San Francisco
Chicago
New York City

Winter Olympics:

Denver/Vail
Anchorage (aka Alaska Olympics)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.