Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 09:32 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times

Advertisements

Interesting.

APNewsBreak: USOC officially out of the running for 2020 Olympics - The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/dcunited/apnewsbreak-usoc-officially-out-of-the-running-for-2020-olympics/2011/08/22/gIQABdqIWJ_story.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 09:39 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,126,379 times
That fine-----the cost relative to the impact of holding an olympics is no longer a value.

Too many countries have recently spent billions of dollars preparing for an olympics, and are left holding insurmountable mountains of I.O.U. on the cost-----does the international olympic committee come in and help repay costs----right.

To go through the process is denigrating anyway----the process has turned out to be anti American anyway----so who needs it???

Old 08-22-2011, 09:48 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
To go through the process is denigrating anyway----the process has turned out to be anti American anyway----so who needs it???
My thoughts exactly. I wish American-based companies who serve as sponsors would pull out just to teach the IOC a lesson. But of course, that will never happen...too much $$$ would be lost.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:57 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,660,661 times
The Olympics have been given over to the developing world, for better or worse. There should be a Detroit Olympics in 2024. Rebuild the whole city as a sports mecca.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
My thoughts exactly. I wish American-based companies who serve as sponsors would pull out just to teach the IOC a lesson. But of course, that will never happen...too much $$$ would be lost.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:11 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
The Olympics have been given over to the developing world, for better or worse. There should be a Detroit Olympics in 2024. Rebuild the whole city as a sports mecca.
Detroit will have rebounded by then (hopefully).

Old 08-22-2011, 10:27 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Who would put money into the Detroit Olympics? That's the problem. I don't see any US city winning a bid for a few decades to be honest. But this is nothing more than a confirmation. They said no bids once Chicago lost.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:41 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,660,661 times
It would have to be a resurgent electric car industry, and Detroit would have to be the 'model' city - the first place to have a complete network of automated, all-electric buses and cabs. Pipe dreams, ya know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Who would put money into the Detroit Olympics? That's the problem. I don't see any US city winning a bid for a few decades to be honest. But this is nothing more than a confirmation. They said no bids once Chicago lost.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:59 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
That fine-----the cost relative to the impact of holding an olympics is no longer a value.

Too many countries have recently spent billions of dollars preparing for an olympics, and are left holding insurmountable mountains of I.O.U. on the cost-----does the international olympic committee come in and help repay costs----right.

Same with them and FIFA.

I don't have a problem with them trying to spread it around so all parts of the world can enjoy the games...but it seems as if America is sort of a "last resort" for them lately.

Also agreed on the billions spent without the matching return value...the last thing any American city and/or state needs to do right now is to build another mountain of debt to pay off.

Let it cool off for some years...maybe (just maybe) the IOC will get a little less political about their decision making. And less corrupt.

One can dream, I guess.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:44 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,517,350 times
I hate the olympics... there isn't one even that people pretend to give two *****s about more and then couldn't care less when its over. Sorry Johnny, you really aren't into Javelin throwing

Old 08-23-2011, 06:03 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
I like the Olympics. People of diverse countries coming together to do drugs and have sex. What's not to like

More seriously I actually do like the Olympics and I don't like sports in general. Olympic sports have a quality I like that's missing in the sports I see on TV, they do their thing fast enough I don't have time to get restless. Johnny throws his javelin, that eats up a few seconds, and then you can move on to the next person or event. Team sports are hours of watching people chase balls around.

Still I think the IOC should probably not have taken baseball and softball out. I think that was potentially Euro-centric of them. Both those sports are still popular in Asia, Latin America, and North America. But Europeans don't want to make baseball fields they'll never use again so it's out. (Africa never gets the Olympics and for all I know if Africans spent enough to make a baseball field maybe they'd find a way to use it for something else. I guess Australians don't play baseball either, but maybe you could convert the fields into cricket or something with sufficient remodeling) I don't even like baseball, but that annoyed me a tad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.