Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 03:19 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,215,952 times

Advertisements

If I'm referring to getting a bunch of different types of drinks, I will often say "soft drinks".

For example,
"I'm going to go to the store to pick up some soft drinks for our trip".

If I want a cola, and I don't know what type of cola that is sold, I'll say "COKE". Some clueless individuals will say, "Is Pepsi Okay", but they are likely transplants, or people unfamiliar with the generic use of the word "COKE" used in the South to refer to colas. On the other hand, if I know that a place serves Pepsi but not Coke, I'll ask for a Pepsi.

For a Sprite, mountain dew, or any other type of soft drink besides a cola, I will say "Sprite", "Mountain Dew", or whatever flavor I want. It's an incorrect statement that southerners say "Coke" to all soft drinks. Only when the type of cola is unknown is COKE used in the generic sense. True, there is a small percentage of the population that uses it universally in the generic sense, but it's so small as to be statistically insignificant.

I'm from the SOUTH (Southeast, specifically).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 04:56 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
How complicated some states get!
We call it soda in Massachusetts.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:09 PM

591 posts, read 866,122 times
South Bay (Silicon Valley) and soda. BTW in some of the more out-of-the-way places in norcal near Nevada and in and around Stockton I have heard sody and sodypop (not making that up), but that was back in the day.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:13 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,201,654 times
It's callled soda or juice. I HATE when people say POP. Irritates me. Pop down here means 1. and Old man. 2. You want to get hit physically or 3. A loud noise!

Old 07-21-2011, 05:33 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,409,292 times
It's pop in Upnorth Wisconsin. I've heard co-workers say it, I've heard friends/relatives say it, I was raised to say it (on my baby tape my mom's getting me to spell words and one of them was "pop"), a number of cashiers have said pop. It's definitely pop. I'm getting back into the habit slowly but surely, since I've moved back. Out west it's soda.

The thing I find weird is how people have an aversion to one or the other.

I think pop and soda BOTH sound fine. They're both an abbreviation for "soda pop."

Now calling every kind "Coke"... that's odd. Clearly a Mountain Dew is not a Coke.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:35 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,923,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesconsinite View Post
It's pop in Upnorth Wisconsin. I've heard co-workers say it, I've heard friends/relatives say it, I was raised to say it (on my baby tape my mom's getting me to spell words and one of them was "pop"), a number of cashiers have said pop. It's definitely pop.

The thing I find weird is how people have an aversion to one or the other.

I think pop and soda BOTH sound fine. They're both an abbreviation for "soda pop."
Interesting, I moved here "Upnorth Wisconsin" from Omaha, where we called it pop. It was the first time I ever heard almost everyone call it soda. I don't know what part of northern Wisconsin you're talking about, but the northern Wisconsin I know, calls it "soda."

Old 07-21-2011, 05:38 PM

Interesting map on the previous page... I don't think I remember hearing it called pop much or at all out in Northcentral Montana.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:39 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
It's an incorrect statement that southerners say "Coke" to all soft drinks. Only when the type of cola is unknown is COKE used in the generic sense. True, there is a small percentage of the population that uses it universally in the generic sense, but it's so small as to be statistically insignificant.
This is true, good point of clarification.
It's also used by people (like me) who aren't particular. I would frequently ask DH to bring me back 'some kind of coke' while at a gas station during a road trip. He knew that as long as it was cold and carbonated I'd drink whatever he bought.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Interesting, I moved here "Upnorth Wisconsin" from Omaha, where we called it pop. It was the first time I ever heard almost everyone call it soda. I don't know what part of northern Wisconsin you're talking about, but the northern Wisconsin I know, calls it "soda."
Northwest Wisconsin.

And actually if you look at that map on the other page, Northeast Wisconsin and around the Milwaukee area, they seem to say soda.

In my area, the Northwest part of the state as well as most of Minnesota (which I identify with as home) call it pop.

Now if you're from the Northeast part of WI, I'll give you that.

But if you're from the Northwestern part and you're trying to say most people say soda you're most definitely wrong.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:51 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,923,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesconsinite View Post
Northwest Wisconsin.

And actually if you look at that map on the other page, Northeast Wisconsin and around the Milwaukee area, they seem to say soda.

In my area, the Northwest part of the state as well as most of Minnesota (which I identify with as home) call it pop.

Now if you're from the Northeast part of WI, I'll give you that.

But if you're from the Northwestern part and you're trying to say most people say soda you're most definitely wrong.

Definitely not the Northwestern part of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.