Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 06:47 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times

Advertisements

I can't recall if I've ever heard anyone in New York City use the word 'cola.' People ask for either Coke or Pepsi (whatever their preference happens to be).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 06:50 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSies11 View Post
I live on the West Coast, and call it soda. Interested to hear your replies..
Soda in New Jersey. Otherwise, specifically by its name. Coke, Pepsi, Sprite, etc.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:52 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
It's all coke, just that sometimes the coke comes in pepsi, sprite, or some other flavor. Of course if you mean Co-cola just say so.
Mid South, via the midwest and deep south.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Coke! -- Native Texan/Southerner.
I thought the first one was a joke. Really? There are people who refer to all soda as "coke"? I didn't know that.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:53 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,203,902 times
I've never heard anyone FROM orlando call it pop, FROM Florida Period. That Map Is Inaccurate.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:09 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I thought the first one was a joke. Really? There are people who refer to all soda as "coke"? I didn't know that.
Yes, just as there are people in other parts of the country who refer to all "cokes" as "soda"! (just being a light-hearted, patronizing, in my own turn, here!). But seriously, yes. "Coke" is a common term in the Southern United States to generically refer to soft-drinks! I don't think it is quite as common as it used to be, but the map pegs it pretty well, overall, I think.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:21 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,748,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
By that they mean Coke products, and even then, to say such is extremely rare in this region. I don't know why so many southerners purport that this kind of stuff takes place regularly, when it doesn't. In my 30+ years, all lived in the south, I have rarely heard these kinds of things.
yeah I've never heard it. People will call soft drinks "cokes" but nobody says in a restaurant "I want a coke" unless they want a coca-cola.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:27 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
soda. i have no idea why someone would call soda "coke". unless they have something else in mind

i'm usually looking for diet sprite, sierra mist or sunkist

Old 07-21-2011, 08:36 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Exactly. I live in Texas and been all over the state. I've rarely [if ever] heard anyone say Coke; unless they were asking for a coca cola. I'm sure people say Coke here, but I've never heard it and I don't think the term is nowhere near as dominant as that map suggests.
Same here. I've never heard anyone from Texas ask for a coke or a waitet ask us what coke qould you like.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:48 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,188,334 times
Soda, in Philly

Old 07-21-2011, 09:08 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Same here. I've never heard anyone from Texas ask for a coke or a waitet ask us what coke qould you like.
We have talked about this one before, Spade. And both agreed that there is probably a black/white dichotomy in the South as far as usage goes. Black Texans/Southerners tend to say "soda", while most native whites of the same use "coke" as the generic term for soft-drink.

Like any survey/study, there are going to be flaws in it...and perhaps there were not enough African-Americans polled to give an accurate reading. BUT at the same time, the "color-scheme" (no pun intended) on the map is just too starkly and clearly contrasting between regions to be taken lightly. Also, there was another study done -- by Harvard University -- which "verified" the same findings within the same states, along with a breakdown state by state: Here they area: (see question 105):

Dialect Survey Results

Dialect Survey Results

Dialect Survey Results

So, again, while I see y'alls point (you and blkgiraffe), these results are so clearly evident between the various parts of the country -- and with two seperate polls -- that they cannot be dismissed, I don't think...

Last edited by TexasReb; 07-21-2011 at 10:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.