Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 06:01 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times

Advertisements

In Alabama, it's just Coke. So you get the odd situation where you walk up to the counter of a restaurant and ask for a Coke and they say, "What kind? Sprite? Orange?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 06:06 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,410,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Definitely not the Northwestern part of the state.
Right... because I've only lived here half my life.

So... just sit there in your wrongness and be wrong. Thanks.

Mr./Ms. Just-Got-Here-From-Omaha.

God damn.... lol.

.... That map says you're wrong....
.... My BABY TAPE FROM 1983 says you're wrong...
.... The general public everytime I go out says you're wrong...

Actually he also said most of Wisconsin says soda. That map sort of says that's wrong too. It's probably half if that. And the majority would probably be blue. (Pop.)

What is with people like that? No matter how wrong they are they think they're right.

I think I said I only heard soda out in Montana, but I'm only stating that's what I personally heard. I wasn't trying to argue with actual data, nor was I mocking how someone else refers to their portion of their homestate by putting it in quotes, before self-righteously responding to them.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:06 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,218,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesconsinite View Post
It's pop in Upnorth Wisconsin. I've heard co-workers say it, I've heard friends/relatives say it, I was raised to say it (on my baby tape my mom's getting me to spell words and one of them was "pop"), a number of cashiers have said pop. It's definitely pop. I'm getting back into the habit slowly but surely, since I've moved back. Out west it's soda.

The thing I find weird is how people have an aversion to one or the other.

I think pop and soda BOTH sound fine. They're both an abbreviation for "soda pop."

Now calling every kind "Coke"... that's odd. Clearly a Mountain Dew is not a Coke.
No one calls a mountain dew a coke. Folklore, nothing more.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
In Alabama, it's just Coke. So you get the odd situation where you walk up to the counter of a restaurant and ask for a Coke and they say, "What kind? Sprite? Orange?"
By that they mean Coke products, and even then, to say such is extremely rare in this region. I don't know why so many southerners purport that this kind of stuff takes place regularly, when it doesn't. In my 30+ years, all lived in the south, I have rarely heard these kinds of things.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:12 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,410,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
No one calls a mountain dew a coke. Folklore, nothing more.
I've yet to hear pop/soda referred to as coke. It'd be interesting to go down south and experience that.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
I've yet to hear pop/soda referred to as coke. It'd be interesting to go down south and experience that.
See my explanation on the previous page. It's about 95% accurate for most people in this region.

By the way, I live in northern Georgia around Atlanta.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:25 PM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
By that they mean Coke products, and even then, to say such is extremely rare in this region. I don't know why so many southerners purport that this kind of stuff takes place regularly, when it doesn't. In my 30+ years, all lived in the south, I have rarely heard these kinds of things.
Chalk it up to different experiences for different people. I've been in different parts of the south for 30 years too, and I have experienced this, mostly in small mom and pop type places. The first time someone asked me that question, at some little diner in Saraland AL, it really threw me. It's definitely something you notice the first time you get asked what kind of coke you want.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:27 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,926,746 times
Quote:
Right... because I've only lived here half my life.

So... just sit there in your wrongness and be wrong. Thanks.

Mr./Ms. Just-Got-Here-From-Omaha.

God damn.... lol.

.... That map says you're wrong....
.... My BABY TAPE FROM 1983 says you're wrong...
.... The general public everytime I go out says you're wrong...

Actually he also said most of Wisconsin says soda. That map sort of says that's wrong too. It's probably half if that. And the majority would probably be blue. (Pop.)

What is with people like that? No matter how wrong they are they think they're right.

I think I said I only heard soda out in Montana, but I'm only stating that's what I personally heard. I wasn't trying to argue with actual data, nor was I mocking how someone else refers to their portion of their homestate by putting it in quotes, before self-righteously responding to them.
It's really not that important, that you should get your undies in a bundle over this. I only know what I know. I don't have a connection to the western part of the state, so how would I know. I, my family, and my friends are more in the eastern part of the state. I was born in Minnesota, but don't remember what they called it there - nor, does it matter. I'm only stating what I know, if you disagree, so be it.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:34 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
That map is wrong because the majority of everyone in Orlando calls it Soda, not coke.
Exactly. I live in Texas and been all over the state. I've rarely [if ever] heard anyone say Coke; unless they were asking for a coca cola. I'm sure people say Coke here, but I've never heard it and I don't think the term is nowhere near as dominant as that map suggests.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:46 PM

538 posts, read 2,458,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Tonic, from Boston, live in Brooklyn.
don't you mean "tawnic"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.