Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 07:07 PM

112 posts, read 258,166 times

Advertisements

Many northerners have stated how proud they are to be from the north and to be a Yankee. Why did y’all let that area become so bad you feel like you have to flee it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 07:20 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,669,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle71 View Post
Many northerners have stated how proud they are to be from the north and to be a Yankee. Why did y’all let that area become so bad you feel like you have to flee it?
You are combining two different things here. Southerners are proud of their heritage and history....Northerners are to.

There are many reasons why people move South. In our case, it was because the company my husband worked for for over 20 years said...move or lose your job. We moved. (Thankfully, we've enjoyed every second of it..but still.....it was sort of a forced choice.)

Economics are another......doesn't mean that one's home area is horrid, without merit, or devoid of history...it just means that things are what they are and some people are forced out of the home market they want to be in.

Weather....let's face it. even with the recent heat, the weather is just better in NC....no matter how great a Northern State is.

I agree, some folks from the North need to get over the fact that things are done differently down here....heck, I am a transplant and it annoys me to now end when folks act like that. I also dislike the bad manners I see from some from the Northeast....but I don't feel that they won't eventually fit in or that they are out to ruin everything.

It comes down to the fact that just because someone moves, it doesn't mean that where they are moving from is automatically bad or that they won't miss it (I admit, I miss the island I grew up on in Lake Erie, I miss Cedar Point, no matter how much I love in down here).....they just had to do what is best for them and their families.....and sometimes that involves moving.

Maybe I should ask you why you feel so threatened about it all...because that is how your post comes across.

Old 08-11-2007, 07:23 PM

12 posts, read 38,406 times
LOL...uh, "funny" question. (I'm from NY)

Old 08-11-2007, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
You are combining two different things here. Southerners are proud of their heritage and history....Northerners are to.

There are many reasons why people move South. In our case, it was because the company my husband worked for for over 20 years said...move or lose your job. We moved. (Thankfully, we've enjoyed every second of it..but still.....it was sort of a forced choice.)

Economics are another......doesn't mean that one's home area is horrid, without merit, or devoid of history...it just means that things are what they are and some people are forced out of the home market they want to be in.

Weather....let's face it. even with the recent heat, the weather is just better in NC....no matter how great a Northern State is.

I agree, some folks from the North need to get over the fact that things are done differently down here....heck, I am a transplant and it annoys me to now end when folks act like that. I also dislike the bad manners I see from some from the Northeast....but I don't feel that they won't eventually fit in or that they are out to ruin everything.

It comes down to the fact that just because someone moves, it doesn't mean that where they are moving from is automatically bad or that they won't miss it (I admit, I miss the island I grew up on in Lake Erie, I miss Cedar Point, no matter how much I love in down here).....they just had to do what is best for them and their families.....and sometimes that involves moving.

Maybe I should ask you why you feel so threatened about it all...because that is how your post comes across.
I would not say threatened. I would say deeply concerned about the future of my home state. But instead of looking at places to flee to I am trying to make sure NC stays a great area or not become any worse than it has by electing smart growth politicians, etc…

Old 08-11-2007, 07:51 PM

34 posts, read 97,875 times
Quote:
Who said there was anything bad about the North? Just because people relocate to a different state does not mean they fled their home state, is it such a crime to want to bring up a family in another area and be judged for doing so? Is it our fault that that we chose to live in a state that when we vacationed in it, felt that it would be more desirable ,more feasable to live there? Is it fair to be judged based on someone elses bad experiences and be labed and ridiculed for it?
One Nation under God......

Old 08-11-2007, 07:52 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,669,685 times
Quote:
I would not say threatened. I would say deeply concerned about the future of my home state. But instead of looking at places to flee to I am trying to make sure NC stays a great area or not become any worse than it has by electing smart growth politicians, etc…
Be thankful that this state has the economy to give you that option.

It's not a matter of 'fleeing'...I didn't 'flee' Ohio....my mother still lives there....my daughter spent two weeks there this summer....but the companies are down here now, drawn here for a variety of reasons....one tends to 'follow' the jobs...not 'flee' their homes.

Subtle, but very distinct difference that, bless your heart, seems to be lost on you.

Old 08-11-2007, 07:57 PM

190 posts, read 575,152 times
Quote:

Subtle, but very distinct difference that, bless your heart, seems to be lost on you.
::giggles:: Well played, Des, well played.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Be thankful that this state has the economy to give you that option.

It's not a matter of 'fleeing'...I didn't 'flee' Ohio....my mother still lives there....my daughter spent two weeks there this summer....but the companies are down here now, drawn here for a variety of reasons....one tends to 'follow' the jobs...not 'flee' their homes.

You would think you would be able to debate me without the personal attacks. Btw, that stereotype does not apply to me. I do not use that phrase. Granted not all northerners fled but I have read many posts by northerners stating how they cannot wait until they get the hell out of there. What am I supposed to think?

Old 08-11-2007, 08:03 PM

647 posts, read 2,083,701 times
This is a generalization and will probably offend some, but, anyway.....One of the reasons southern folks (in general in whatever southern state) feel apprehensive is because the presence of yankees (or northern) has contributed, heavily, to the changing of our culture. Yes, I know that other factors are at play here, but it's more about the attitude, rudeness, overly-aggressive, pushy, demanding, complaining demeanor that many northerners project and display. We don't live like that and we don't want our towns/people to become that way.

Yes, I have been all through the northern states at one time or another at various times during various years and I can, somewhat, understand why many would want to come south. But, unfortunately, many who do come down here (fill in the blank southern state) bring their ****-poor attitude and ways with them, which can lead to conflict, etc. with local southerners. We don't want our south to turn into the pushy, crowded, over-stressed rat-race that many yankees came from. It's just sad to see many of the small, friendly, laid-back towns that are now over run with demanding, pushy, move-it-or-lose-it, snotty attitudes brought to us by northern folks who come down with lots of $$$$$. But, I guess it's bound to happen, since, after all, $$$$ has influence and power..........

Old 08-11-2007, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitrusFruit View Post
::giggles:: Well played, Des, well played.
Personal attacks are well played?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.