Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 07:45 PM

7 posts, read 17,915 times

Advertisements

Hi there, I am a retired Veteran looking for a small, quiet, safe, affordable, pretty small city or town to live in, somewhere in the USA. I am mature aged, retired status, single, with no kids. I need a place along the lines of South Dakota, Maine and etc....where there is hardly any congestion, low crime, low taxes and friendly people. I will be looking to buy a house with some acreage as well, in about 6 months to a year.

I am also not a huge fan of severe heat or extreme snow and cold. Southwestern Missouri has come to mind.....South Dakota, Kentucky, Idaho...maybe around Boise and etc.....I am all over the map on this.....as you can read. Hoping to receive lots of input on where the best place for a single retiree may plant roots. Also want to be able to drive to a VA hospital monthly, so a place having a VA within 100 miles would be great. Thanks.....currently, I am in the Tacoma WA area...and had lived in Seattle for ten years before that.

Last edited by folk_guitarist; 07-16-2013 at 08:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 03:25 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,518,287 times
I don't get what you would find outside of WA that would suit your needs?

Places you listed include snow, which you would have in Tacoma. Not severe hot or cold.

Need more info to understand why you want to move and what you need.

Cheap area in Ca, with better weather than WA is Redding.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:58 AM

2,515 posts, read 5,026,169 times
CA has high taxes everywhere. Maybe Roseburg, OR? There's a VA hospital there.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:54 AM

Yes WA and OR are to me, some of the best options in the USA.....but due to high rents and housing prices and taxes......I am forced to look elsewhere in the USA....I am looking at small towns or small cities with home prices less then 175,000 for home and a few acres.....so places like South Dakota..Sioux Falls.......small places in Iowa.....and in southern Indiana...even in southwest MO are popping up. Like around Joplin MO and etc.....not looking to live in any of the deeper southern states, so more like Midwest I guess...as New England and the Pacific Northwest seem to be just too high for taxes and home costs and ...etc....Roseburg looks nice...I did look there....but housing is just too high....

Old 07-18-2013, 05:55 AM

even in the more rural areas of WA state, seems like the housing prices are too high....with no acreage.....maybe around Spokane ...might be cheaper....but I hear the area is depressed and crime riddled....

Old 07-18-2013, 11:07 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
You might look at East Tennessee around the Tri-Cities (Johnson City, Kingsport and Bristol). There's a nice VA center in Johnson City affiliated with the East Tennessee State University School of Medicine. It's a beautiful area with low housing costs, low taxes and a cost of living well below the national average. Kiplinger ranked it among the Top 10 most affordable places to live in the US.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:18 PM

42 posts, read 68,178 times
If you're looking for some place safe and crime free then you might be looking for awhile. Every city and town has their issues. I grew up in a very small town that I always thought was safe growing up. Turns out they have always had a major problems with drugs and violence. I guess it is one of those ignorance is bliss things. Good luck finding a place to settle down though.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:07 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folk_guitarist View Post
Hi there, I am a retired Veteran looking for a small, quiet, safe, affordable, pretty small city or town to live in, somewhere in the USA. I am mature aged, retired status, single, with no kids. I need a place along the lines of South Dakota, Maine and etc....where there is hardly any congestion, low crime, low taxes and friendly people. I will be looking to buy a house with some acreage as well, in about 6 months to a year.

I am also not a huge fan of severe heat or extreme snow and cold. Southwestern Missouri has come to mind.....South Dakota, Kentucky, Idaho...maybe around Boise and etc.....I am all over the map on this.....as you can read. Hoping to receive lots of input on where the best place for a single retiree may plant roots. Also want to be able to drive to a VA hospital monthly, so a place having a VA within 100 miles would be great. Thanks.....currently, I am in the Tacoma WA area...and had lived in Seattle for ten years before that.
Check out Hot Springs Village outside of Hot Springs, Arkansas - in the Ouachita Mountains. It's nestled between Hot Springs and Little Rock. There's a VA hospital in Hot Springs. The weather is nice, property taxes are very low, housing is affordable, and the people are very friendly.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:12 PM

Well I will look at TN as well.....as long as it is nowhere near Memphis. Been thru Knoxville some years ago.....looked run down and ragged, but with pretty nature and mountainous terrain. Little Rock supposedly is riddled to the bones, with crime, so I would never live to close to that city. If it wasn't for the long winters, and the cold....and the heavy snowfall, .....I would be up in rural New England most likely. Midwest is as cold as a witches bottom, ... Florida maybe 30 years ago. Texas, too hot, tornadoes, and illegal immigration issues. I don't see a lot of decent places left in the USA, to be honest. As for Hot Springs AR, I read somewhere about Hot Springs having the highest crime rate in the USA....not sure if that is true or not though....so that makes me wary.

Last edited by folk_guitarist; 07-20-2013 at 04:31 PM..

Old 03-12-2014, 05:05 PM

51 posts, read 76,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folk_guitarist View Post

We are currently looking for the same thing. Now in Grants Pass OR and everything is too high on the West Coast for retired people. Hope you post what you find and maybe it would be of help to us too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.