Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2007, 08:12 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,874,686 times

Advertisements

Do you think income tax is more of an important factor than sales tax and home insurance or do you really take into consideration property taxes? I notice that many states give you a break in one area, but get you in another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 08:41 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,864,057 times
Exclamation It ALL counts, to me...

I'd have to say I look at all of them.

Sales, income, property...and any other "gotcha" taxes, like certain states where they tax your car as Real Property

Since I generally hate paying taxes,** my criteria basically boil down to: what jurisdictions (city, state) are going to rip me off the least? What places are going to leave me alone, let me take care of my own needs, not punish my ambition/work ethic with punitive taxes, and not offer stupid cradle-to-grave social programs they'll force me to pay for?

Oh, and in addition to taxes...I also take into account state fees (for licenses, etc.), gov't regulations that inconvenience your everyday life (booze laws, "blue" laws, zoning regs, etc.)

Basically, any way a local/state government has of nickel-and-diming you, reaching their d@mn mitts into your wallet, or poking their meddlesome noses into your business...I take it all into consideration if I'm gonna live there.

I despise intrusive, costly bureaucracy. The less government, the better!

** Other than for police, the courts, and the military—the only necessary government roles.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:51 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,642,454 times
I was thinking about government one day and it dawned on me that the only thing government needs to do is keep us safe so that we can take care of ourselves. I will agree with police, military, and courts, but will add things for health and safety like water, safe roads, good bridges, clean air, clean water, just the necessary items.
Tax payers do not need to be paying to attract new business, add ball teams, etc.
I think the tax that is the least noticed and the most abused is sales tax. I have a feeling all of us pay more sales taxes than we realize. I have started to keep up with it, but I always seem to lose track.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:48 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,922,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancasterNative View Post
I'd have to say I look at all of them.

Sales, income, property...and any other "gotcha" taxes, like certain states where they tax your car as Real Property

Since I generally hate paying taxes,** my criteria basically boil down to: what jurisdictions (city, state) are going to rip me off the least? What places are going to leave me alone, let me take care of my own needs, not punish my ambition/work ethic with punitive taxes, and not offer stupid cradle-to-grave social programs they'll force me to pay for?

Oh, and in addition to taxes...I also take into account state fees (for licenses, etc.), gov't regulations that inconvenience your everyday life (booze laws, "blue" laws, zoning regs, etc.)

Basically, any way a local/state government has of nickel-and-diming you, reaching their d@mn mitts into your wallet, or poking their meddlesome noses into your business...I take it all into consideration if I'm gonna live there.

I despise intrusive, costly bureaucracy. The less government, the better!

** Other than for police, the courts, and the military—the only necessary government roles.
I agree. The issue is not so much what form the taxes take as the total amount you're going to have to shell out. But then you've also got to take into acount the various fees they charge, even highway tolls. It gets complicated.

For me, one exception to the rule that the only thing that matters is the total tax is that whatever the overall take, I prefer that the tax structure be simple, not involving a whole bunch of different kinds of taxes on anything and everything the state legislature can dream up as a way to grab a little here and a little more there.

Also, one tax that bothers me as a matter of principle is the so-called "use tax." That's the one where they charge you something that is essentially a sales tax, only it's on an item you purchased in another state that has a lower sales tax than the state where you live, and your state tries to make up the difference, as if you had made the purchase in your state. First of all, the whole idea is ridiculously impractical, since I'd guess that very few people actually pay this (though you have to be careful if you live in a state with this tax--I've heard of state revenue agencies tracking purchases in other states by checking on credit card purchases, mail order, etc.). Secondly, I object to the whole notion as a matter of principle. Where I shop is my business, and if I buy something in another state than the one where I live, what entitles my state to collect what is essentially a sales tax? This also bothers me because I get creeped out at the whole idea of the state government dreaming up ever more creative ways to grab more money from the people, instead of keeping taxes simple and to a reasonably low rate, and using the public funds more efficiently.

By the way, Lancaster, how's the Ohio tax situation these days? I lived there for several years, and taxes were relatively modest then, but that was a number of years ago.

Old 11-10-2007, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Carolina Native View Post
I was thinking about government one day and it dawned on me that the only thing government needs to do is keep us safe so that we can take care of ourselves. I will agree with police, military, and courts, but will add things for health and safety like water, safe roads, good bridges, clean air, clean water, just the necessary items.
Tax payers do not need to be paying to attract new business, add ball teams, etc.
I think the tax that is the least noticed and the most abused is sales tax. I have a feeling all of us pay more sales taxes than we realize. I have started to keep up with it, but I always seem to lose track.
Great points, and I agree. I tend to think of government functions in terms of "public goods"—needed things that wouldn't get done unless government provides them. That certainly includes protecting us (military, police) and enforcing the rule of law (courts, jails) so that those of us who abide by the law can live in freedom and peace.

Roads, bridges & other infrastructure can be considered public goods on a state/local level, but I don't see much reason why they need to be Federal—except for the Interstates, of course

Beyond that, government needs to butt out! Whoever came up with the idea that "public good" includes making sure everyone has an equal share of material "stuff" anyway? Gee, that sounds an awful lot like our ol' buddy...Karl Marx!

Old 11-10-2007, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
For me, one exception to the rule that the only thing that matters is the total tax is that whatever the overall take, I prefer that the tax structure be simple, not involving a whole bunch of different kinds of taxes on anything and everything the state legislature can dream up as a way to grab a little here and a little more there.
I'm in total agreement with you! That's what I meant by "nickel-and-diming"...it gets impossible to keep track of, and every time you turn around it seems they're swiping more of your heard-earned money for something. That drives me nuts!

Quote:
Also, one tax that bothers me as a matter of principle is the so-called "use tax."
Oh man, I hear ya! That one especially pi$$es me off...and Ohio has made a big deal out of it in recent years. Our former governor, idiot Bob Taft, was a stickler for the "use tax"! He and his minions had this ongoing "public education" effort (dopey PSA's on the radio) trying to threaten everyone into paying it. I'm not aware of any specific cases where someone's purchases were tracked like you described, but it's certainly possible...and yes, it's very creepy to think about! Having Big Brother snoop thru your credit card/bank statement/purchase records? Is this still America?!?! Freakin' commie thugs...

Quote:
how's the Ohio tax situation these days?
Besides the odious "use tax" described above, taxes in general here are higher than ever. We've unfortunately had 20+ straight years now of governors who were either Democrats or acted like Democrats (fake/liberal Repubs) and the one common trait is that they've all supported Big Government Spending on social programs is at record levels. The state-sanctioned Workers Comp monopoly is an enormous burden on business. The state Liquor/Alcohol busybodies ensure that purchasing adult beverages is always expensive and difficult. Auto, hunting and fishing license fees have gone up.

Problem is, more and more Ohioans are growing accustomed to "their" gravy train...this service, that program, etc. and nobody wants to give up his/her favorite gov't handout. It's really pathetic.

As a consequence, businesses are leaving in droves. Few new businesses start here—what entrepreneur wants to even bother with all the taxes, hassle and red tape? So yeah...economically, Ohio is in pretty weak shape overall. I reeeeaally look forward to moving someday to a state that allows free enterprise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.