Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 01:11 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,631,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
I agree--We are all losing our accents, and that's a shame.
Actually, this is not true. A study was done and it was actually found that accents are becoming even MORE pronounced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 01:13 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,631,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
I can't discern any "Midwest accent" though supposedly there is a Minnesota one. I know people from Minnesota but its not very noticeable, and I know the accents in that Fargo movie are not very accurate. Or are they?
I dunno, I had a professor in college from MN and I could definitely tell.

I also had a prof from the south and it drove me absolutely nuts. He. was. in. no. hurry. to. say. anything.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:27 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,083,381 times
Quote:
New York ever purposely gets rid of that accent, except for Rudy Giuliani whose trying to now that he's running for President and needs to connect with the real America!
I can't tell you how much that sentiment annoys me. I have family from NYC and New England, they share the same citizenship as I, who was born in the midwest.

Old 08-16-2007, 04:30 PM

458 posts, read 2,774,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I don't understand for the life of me why anyone would want to change who they are for other people. Be proud of having that Southern charm!
I'm not changing for anyone outside of myself.

Old 08-16-2007, 04:37 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,075,544 times
Oh, ok. I was under the impression that you were changing so you didn't sound unintelligent(maybe someone else said that) to other people. I for one LOVE having an accent and hope it only gets worse

Old 08-16-2007, 05:10 PM

458 posts, read 2,774,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Oh, ok. I was under the impression that you were changing so you didn't sound unintelligent(maybe someone else said that) to other people. I for one LOVE having an accent and hope it only gets worse
No not really... I honestly don't care what anyone thinks of me. I just don't like having the accent it's not that people make fun of me or something like that

Old 08-16-2007, 05:47 PM

325 posts, read 1,548,310 times
I think accents are a courosity to most, if you move from one place to another. I'm originally from North Dakota and have been told I have an accent. The movie Fargo exagerated the mid-west accent a lot!
Also, depends on where your comming from, to where your going to, you will find more or less acceptance of them.
Truthfully, I think they are great! They often do tell you what part of the country your from. I say, so what?
Its just part of who we are. Not really anything bad.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:37 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,075,544 times
I agree with Mike. I am proud of where I come from and if I have an accent to show it that's fine by me!

Old 08-16-2007, 08:05 PM

942 posts, read 1,391,648 times
I grew up in the Boston area, probably one of the most noticeable accents in the country to pinpoint its location almost immediately. However I have lived all over the world since I was 19. When I lived in Japan, It was assumed I was australian, since both regions do not pronounce the letter R. I have been mistaken as being Canadian, when living in Germany, and from New York here in Oregon. I like my accent, it has faded somewhat with time, I am 57 now, but its a little bit of where I am from, and who I am, and I would never want to lose that. If one wants to lose an accent it would take alot of practicing phonics and constantly speaking in a non accented form such as newscasters and actors, that spend much time studying and practicing losing their native accents. Its really not all that easy to completely lose an accent just look at Arnold Schwatznegger, although Im not sure he completely wants to lose all of his austrian accent and he has been here I believe around 35 or 40 years

Old 08-16-2007, 08:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
I can't discern any "Midwest accent" though supposedly there is a Minnesota one. I know people from Minnesota but its not very noticeable, and I know the accents in that Fargo movie are not very accurate. Or are they? Honestly, the most annoying accent is from Long Island, it just reeks of snobbiness and elitism, and nobody from New York ever purposely gets rid of that accent, except for Rudy Giuliani whose trying to now that he's running for President and needs to connect with the real America!
Are you kidding? Where do these Minnesotans live now? If in Maryland, I bet they have lost a lot of that Minnesota nasal accent. My DD went to college in Minnesota, had a roommate from there, and picked up some of the accent. It is very noticeable, and I personally don't like it! DH is from Nebraska, has much less of an accent, but still says some things differently than me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.