Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 05:21 PM

3 posts, read 4,111 times

Advertisements

I need some help and I was hoping someone here might know the answers to my questions! I found a wonderful painting in a relative's house. We know nothing about it other than that is came from a house in California in 2001, where it had been for some time. (So older than 10 years, frame looks more like anywhere from 1930-1980, and may be a depiction of a city in California, or by a Californian artist)

Question 1: Does anybody recognize this skyline? Notable features seem to be the waterfront, a white church steeple, a low dome, and a fairly expansive number of high rise buildings of medium height. Keep in mind that higher skyscrapers may have been built in the meantime.

Question 2: What on earth does that signature say? We've searched extensively for variations on what we're seeing. What do you see in it (without looking at other people's suggestions)?
Attached Thumbnails
Identify this city-nonez-painting.jpg   Identify this city-2011-09-03_18-39-22_44.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 06:17 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
How interesting for you!

The artist name I cannot get either, although it looks to be Hispanic....

Someone will recognize surely...

I wanted to add was: the triangular building COULD be the TransAmerica in San Francisco....it is the only one I know of that is designed so...and could be seen from the waterfront...

Or it could be a stylized painting...meaning it is not a particular city but the artist's vision of A city.

Have fun with it...

Old 09-04-2011, 09:17 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,947,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
How interesting for you!

The artist name I cannot get either, although it looks to be Hispanic....

Someone will recognize surely...

I wanted to add was: the triangular building COULD be the TransAmerica in San Francisco....it is the only one I know of that is designed so...and could be seen from the waterfront...

Or it could be a stylized painting...meaning it is not a particular city but the artist's vision of A city.

Have fun with it...
I agree that it's probably a fairly a highly stylized painting, but I think it could be New Orleans... we have a white cathedral in the middle of the city that is visible from the Mississippi, the green buildings on the right could be the aquarium, and several of the highrises resemble things we have here, though the overall mass is a bit larger than the city really is. Probably biased but I see a lot of similarities. Also we have a big white dome (the Superdome), though it is set back from the river more and far larger than it appears in the painting. My best guess on the name is e. nunez, it looks like e. nonez but nunez is a fairly common Hispanic name (specifically Canary Islander, from my knowledge of local culture in N.O.). Neither one of them yield a great deal information in google. And actually, if the name is Nunez, then it's highly probable that it is New Orleans because there is a community just downriver from our downtown area that has a large number of Canary Islanders ("Islenos"). There's an Eric Nunez who is a photographer in New Orleans, but I don't see any paintings by him. http://ericnunezphotography.smugmug.com/Art-Photography

Good luck.

Last edited by Neworleansisprettygood; 09-04-2011 at 09:28 PM..

Old 09-04-2011, 09:28 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
The name looks like "E. Nonez" but I don't seem to be finding an "E Nonez." Possibly they're a local artist, though local to what I don't know.

I admit I'm not sure if it's a real city either.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:46 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,258,889 times
At first when I saw the dome I thought Toronto, but obviously since there's no CN Tower it couldn't be Toronto. But, I don't know how many cities out there have that many buildings with a dome on the coast, so I'm not exactly sure if that's even a real city unfortunately.

Since we don't know anything about the artist (By the way, I read it as E.Nonez), it's hard to say what the story is with it. For all we know, that's the skyline of some city in Korea that he/she saw before he/she made their round back home to California from globetrotting. We just don't know, the options are endless on what it could be. Maybe he/she got bored and just painted a skyline he thinks would be cool if a city had lol.

Regardless, good luck on finding any information. If you do, please post. I spent a good hour doing research on possible skylines and the artists name/possible names but had no luck. You've sparked my interest though lol.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:51 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,327,375 times
I've seen pictures of many skylines, but I don't recognize that one.
It may be from a foreign city or fictional as others have said. I highly doubt that is NOLA. There are no skyscrapers in the FQ, and certainly none on the East side of it (facing Jackson Square from the river)

Old 09-05-2011, 10:02 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,278,915 times
It looks a bit like San Diego with the painted part of the skyline not having the mountains in the background. Check out some of SD's skyline images via google. They're close.

Old 09-05-2011, 03:45 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,813,173 times
The skyline has a significant number of buildings that are rounded at the top and similar in shape to pointy farm silos. In real life roofs like that are not very common on skyscrapers. My guess is that this is not a representation of a real skyline although it may be loosely based on one.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:50 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
I don't think it's any one city in particular.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:03 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,668,019 times
This is not a city per se, but a representation of cities. There are elements of many skylines here, most notably, Pittsburgh comes to mind, but this is not Pittsburgh. Anyone know the year of the painting?
I ask, because some of the domes and dome shaped towers seem to be of another era, or an era that never really occurred.

I also can see a little San Francisco, Seattle, Toronto, San Diego, and even Chicago here. Interesting painting, and again, most likely just a fictional representation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.