Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2011, 01:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,983 times

Advertisements

I have to move out of New York Sept. 30. I really like the subway system because it is easy to get to where you need to go.

I have spent the past two weeks following up on Chicago studios in my budget range ($675/month + no more than one month deposit or non-refundable fee), they are all located on the top half of the Chicago zip code map and have hardwood floors, but they all have bug problems according to apartmentratings.com and bedbugregistry. I also followed up on two apartments on S Shore, but their reviews listed safety issues, and I'm a girl and walk/use public transportation everywhere, and the idea alone was scary. I didn't check apartments with carpet because there's less chance of bugs with hardwood floor. And well, as mentioned above... AHH! Sept. 30. Sept 30!

Which city has easy public transportation and (affordable) apartments with no bug problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 03:46 PM

27,220 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Believe it or not I'd recommend checking out Cleveland. It has a very good rapid transit system, plenty of options in your price range that are fairly nice (and not teeny-tiny studios), the city is quite walkable and has very little bed bug activity. Check out the Lakewood, Tremont and Detroit-Shoreway neighborhoods.

http://www.riderta.com/pdf/maps/System_Map_Rapid.pdf (broken link)
Downtown Lakewood
Tremont West Development Corporation - Tremont West Development Corporation
Ohio City, Cleveland's Artisan Neighborhood
Detroit Shoreway - Detroit Shoreway Homepage
http://cleveland.craigslist.org/sear...oms=1&hasPic=1

Old 09-15-2011, 07:13 PM

93,384 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Perhaps Buffalo and Pittsburgh as well.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:28 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,522,794 times
I think you can find an apartment without bed bugs in pretty much any city in America...

If you want public transit anywhere CLOSE to NYC...you are limited to Chicago, Boston, DC, and to a lesser extent Philly

Old 09-16-2011, 08:23 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,205,471 times
When I moved to Chicago I noticed fairly quickly a noticeable lack of bugs, especially mosquitoes, because of a lack of standing water in the city. I've been in 4 places now from garden unit to second floor and have never had any bugs at all except maybe an occasional spider in the top corner of my living room. I figure if he can find anything, he's welcome to get free rent to catch it!

It's also a city with almost exclusively hardwood floors (totally wasn't expecting that when I moved here - I'm from carpet world).

Old 09-16-2011, 10:30 AM

159 posts, read 317,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
I think you can find an apartment without bed bugs in pretty much any city in America...

If you want public transit anywhere CLOSE to NYC...you are limited to Chicago, Boston, DC, and to a lesser extent Philly

Philly would be the most conveniant to NYC and SEPTA is definitely enough to get you around without a car. 675 will not get you a whole lot in Center City and it's surrounding neighborhoods - however if you were willing to live even with just one person you'd definitely be able to find a decent place in most parts of the city.
However : Philly is just behind NYC in terms of bed bug infestation. I have not personally had to deal with them(knock on wood). The other day on the train a lady behind me was telling someone else that she had gotten a bunch of "bites in the middle of the night" and what she was describing sounded exactly like bed bugs.... I discreetly shifted away from her..just in case anything was hitching a ride. I don't think I'd ever sleep again if I had to deal with an infestation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.