Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 04:32 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,836,776 times

Advertisements

I realize that not a single one of you has a clue on what the title of the thread means. I wasn't trying to deliberately make this confusing.....it's just there is no simple way to express what my concept is in a short title phrase.

So let's go with full explanation:

I'm looking for cases where a city of a particular name (let's say Chicago....but only because I'm a Chicagoan) and a city that takes its name from that city (North Chicago, West Chicago, Chicago Heights, etc.) are, if not the same plain of recognition, at least close enough to it.

In other words, the one with the modified name shares enough equity in its visibility as the original. Now obviously Chicago is not going to be an example here. Chicago and West Chicago are different universes (I don't think it was necessary to have to tell you that).

But there are others where this is not the case.

Palm Beach/West Palm Beach: West Palm is older than its more famous neighbor, actually the oldest incorporated city in South FL and West Palm is considerably larger than PB.

Lansing/East Lansing: Metro Lansing revolves around the capital city and the college town. If you asked someone "Where is MSU located", I can't imagine anyone saying "Lansing" as the answer (although a few snarky ones might say "Starkville" . )

What others do you think are similar to the above???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 09:44 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,075,141 times
The Oranges in New Jersey (Orange, West Orange, and East Orange) come to mind.

What do you mean by "enough equity?"

Old 08-28-2018, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
The Oranges in New Jersey (Orange, West Orange, and East Orange) come to mind.

What do you mean by "enough equity?"
Thread idea was a bit hard to explain. I guess I was trying to say that the "modified" had a degree of equal footing with the original.

Old 08-28-2018, 05:42 AM

1,804 posts, read 1,955,655 times
I'd say West Hartford and East Hartford are fairly equal in terms of importance/size, being first-ring suburbs of Connecticut's capital, which itself is sort of the "lead singer" compared to its brothers on its sides. However, the two are quite different, with East the blue-collar brother of West.

Charleston and North Charleston, SC are also similar in terms of size and geography, with of course North Charleston being more of a military town, with Charleston proper being tourist-focused.

Old 08-28-2018, 05:54 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Definitely Orlampa and Chattalanta.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:38 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Although not municipalities in themselves, perhaps Hollywood and West Hollywood would count.

Old 08-29-2018, 10:21 AM

As OP, I did include Lansing/East Lansing. I was thinking of including Lafayette/West Lafayette, IN as well. The similarity is obvious: both East Lansing and West Lafayette have major state universities in town but East Lansing comes across as much more of a city of its own.

West Lafayette and Purdue are close by to DT Lafayette. For a long time, even into the 20th century, I believe before WL incorporated, the university was said to be in Lafayette.

Even today, when asked where MSU is located, the answer would always be "East Lansing". For Purdue, I think one is likely to hear either "Lafayette" or "West Lafayette".

Old 08-29-2018, 01:19 PM

644 posts, read 1,019,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
As OP, I did include Lansing/East Lansing. I was thinking of including Lafayette/West Lafayette, IN as well. The similarity is obvious: both East Lansing and West Lafayette have major state universities in town but East Lansing comes across as much more of a city of its own.

West Lafayette and Purdue are close by to DT Lafayette. For a long time, even into the 20th century, I believe before WL incorporated, the university was said to be in Lafayette.

Even today, when asked where MSU is located, the answer would always be "East Lansing". For Purdue, I think one is likely to hear either "Lafayette" or "West Lafayette".
I think it depends on where that person lives mostly.

If someone asked me where MSU is, I would say Lansing. I won't any longer though

Living in central Indiana, hardly anyone says Purdue is in Lafayette vs. West Lafayette... that I've heard anyway, it's not like it comes up often, I just don't recall anyone ever saying it.

I think I'm off topic

Old 08-29-2018, 01:36 PM

5,485 posts, read 3,929,244 times
Covina and West Covina, CA. West Covina has 108k people to Covina's 48.5k. Neither of these are probably well-known outside California (although I say this from outside California), but I'd have to say it fits the OP's criteria

Old 08-29-2018, 11:55 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Stroudsburg and East Stroudsburg, PA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.