Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 10:21 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Phoenix has plenty of economic power and this poll is based on best cities to LIVE IN not ones with the most culture. You clearly didn't read the topic.
I understand that, and livability/quality of life is measured by factors like job opportunity, public transportation, and housing costs. All of those give Philly a large edge to several other cities on that list -- such as San Jose, Phoenix, and Los Angeles -- so you should reconsider where you're aiming your criticism.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:46 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,904 times
Quote:
Take Philly off and I'd say that list is perfect!
My grandpop used to tell me. "Son never pick on somebody bigger and badder than you because you'll end up getting embarrassed along with getting your a** physically kicked. Know your place, don't be stupid kid."

Center City Philadelphia might be the best 100,000 person neighborhood outside of Europe. If you used Phoenix annexation dimensions in the Philly suburbs than the population of Philadelphia would be 5 M plus.

Philadelphia has the 8th largest economy in the world and supports 80 college + universities compared to Phoenix's 1/2 dozen, Maybe.Two of the top 5 universities in the US are within 25 miles of center city Philadlephia(#1 Princeton,#5 U Penn-which is in center city) There are only two cities that can take legitimate shots at Philadelphia. That would be NYC and Chicago eveyone else is on par or below Philadelphia in the natural pecking order of US cities.I would put SF and Bos on the same level as Philadelphia.

People living in the Phoenix vacinity should be the last people to ever consider taking potshots at anyone- let alone a great city like Philadelphia.You need to be mixing it up with Albuquerque and El Paso, not Philadlephia.

Downtown Phoenix

Downtown Philadelphia

Last edited by rainrock; 08-24-2007 at 11:19 AM..

Old 08-24-2007, 12:39 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,389,493 times
People value good weather.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:46 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,514,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
People value good weather.
San Diego weather might be ok, but Pheonix at 110 degrees plus for 6 months is not good weather, it is hell! Los Angeles has the best weather in the country and it is ranked second to the bottom, so I guess your theory is wrong huh?

Old 08-24-2007, 01:30 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,741,128 times
This poll also proves one thing.. California & Texas are still the two most popular states in America.

Old 08-24-2007, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
This poll also proves one thing.. California & Texas are still the two most popular states in America.
That's just the trend right now, and the population booms in those states are obviously happening due in no small part to illegal immigration. The excessive growth expected in these states over the next few decades will cost BILLIONS of dollars in public infrastructure. That's likely going to hit Californian and Texan taxpayers very hard. I know there are plenty of fine places to live in Texas and California (if you can afford it), but I'm leery of what the future holds for Sun Belt cities. Thus, I much more prefer the more manageable growth found in Northeast and Midwest.

Old 08-24-2007, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Center City Philadelphia might be the best 100,000 person neighborhood outside of Europe. If you used Phoenix annexation dimensions in the Philly suburbs than the population of Philadelphia would be 5 M plus.
Excellent rebuttal overall, rainrock, but I think this point is very important to reiterate. Some of those cities -- the classic examples being Phoenix and Los Angeles -- include a very sprawled-out boundary where the city limits are virtually indistinguishable from the suburbs. This definitely overstates measures such as population and economic growth, whereas crime rates and unemployment rates may be understated, considering suburban areas are typically safer and have lower poverty rates. In terms of actual square mileage, Philadelphia is 135 sq. miles, while Phoenix and Los Angeles have areas of 515 and 465 sq. miles, respectively:

List of United States cities by area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Phoenix has about the same population as Philly and its city limits are over four times as large. Los Angeles has a fraction of the population of New York, and its city limits are over 100 sq. miles larger. Is it really fair to compare denser cities to cities with excessive boundaries? There's an interesting topic to discuss.

Last edited by Duderino; 08-24-2007 at 04:58 PM..

Old 08-24-2007, 06:11 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times
Those two pictures arent of downtown Phoenix, please don't be ignorant. Here's downtown Phoenix:

http://www.asu.edu/downtownphoenix/experience-downtown/images/DowntownShot.jpg (broken link)

Quote:
Phoenix:
-poor air quality
-smog
-traffic
-limited water
-overly-expensive

Philly:
-water
-public transportation
-inexpensive, esecially for its location
-short drive or train ride to NYC and DC
Wait so Philly DOESN'T have smog, traffic, or bad air quality? Wow I really didn't know that...

You forgot to add Phoenix has beautiful natural surroundings, great winters, tons of sunshine, and some of the best suburbs in the nation. Overly expensive? Phoenix's average home price is only a little above the national average.

Quote:
There are only two cities that can take legitimate shots at Philadelphia. That would be NYC and Chicago eveyone else is on par or below Philadelphia in the natural pecking order of US cities.I would put SF and Bos on the same level as Philadelphia.
So you're comparing Philly to NYC and Chicago? Wow...

Old 08-24-2007, 06:36 PM

Quote:
So you're comparing Philly to NYC and Chicago? Wow...
Rainrock said they are two cities that can actually take legitimate shots at Philly, meaning that they're on a par ABOVE Philadelphia. While Phoenix, on the other hand, might be culturally and economically important to the Southwest; nationally, it's definitely not in the same league as Philadelphia, let alone above it.

Old 08-24-2007, 06:54 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,365,289 times
Next to nobody actually lives in downtown Phoenix. Phoenix is like a huge suburb with a couple of high rise buildings thrown in the middle. I dont' think there is a single walkable neighborhood in the whole city of Phoenix.

The closest thing to a real neighborhood around Phoenix is probably that little strip on Mill Ave in Tempe next to ASU. Even the smallest/most insignificant town in the Philly metro area has an equal or better downtown than that.

Phoenix seems like a nice enough place, but it simply isn't a real city comparable to other cities in the country (NYC, Philly, Chicago, Boston, DC, San Francisco) and it ain't no Philadelphia.

While Philly probably isn't on the same level as NYC, it is definitely comparable. Its a real city with a vibrant downtown, it is just smaller than NYC.

http://mediaroom.visitpa.com/files/broad_street.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by mead; 08-24-2007 at 07:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.