Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2011, 03:59 PM

633 posts, read 1,644,961 times

Advertisements

I dont mind since I am a New Englander... I think a true New Englander wont mind this since this country is in a horrible shape and we have strong identity here. And New England be one of the allies with the United States

Old 10-25-2011, 04:02 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,022,389 times
No, if one group of states succedes then the entire country would break up

Old 10-25-2011, 05:32 PM

10,750 posts, read 23,828,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
No, if one group of states succedes then the entire country would break up
Btownboss is right, New England isn't unique in that mindset. They are just as provincial in the Pacific Northwest, the South of course, and especially in Texas. I'd hate to see the country Balkanize. I like the idea of being able to move out of New England, free to roam where-ever I please across the continent. Don't scapegoat other states, people in Massachusetts, West Virginia, and Wyoming alike are pissed (with many different viewpoints to be considered within). The country isn't in as bad of shape so much as the corruption inside the DC beltway and the feds, that's the biggest problem. Break up of the union would be a big downfall, and there are too many transplants located in all 50 states.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 10-25-2011 at 05:41 PM..

Old 10-25-2011, 06:23 PM

3,073 posts, read 8,025,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Btownboss is right, New England isn't unique in that mindset. They are just as provincial in the Pacific Northwest, the South of course, and especially in Texas. I'd hate to see the country Balkanize. I like the idea of being able to move out of New England, free to roam where-ever I please across the continent. Don't scapegoat other states, people in Massachusetts, West Virginia, and Wyoming alike are pissed (with many different viewpoints to be considered within). The country isn't in as bad of shape so much as the corruption inside the DC beltway and the feds, that's the biggest problem. Break up of the union would be a big downfall, and there are too many transplants located in all 50 states.
I agree with you Caphillsea 100%. Thanks for the post! I couldn't rep you again so I send this message

Old 10-25-2011, 06:42 PM

12,870 posts, read 22,026,395 times
No way! As a New Englander myself, I'd hate that. One, we wouldn't be able to weather it economically. Two, I also like being able to leave the region easily (and frequently do).

And three, Southern New England is more tied into the Mid Atlantic in terms of population density, look, and feel than it is Northern New England. Went to college in Maine and it feels like a different country sometimes.

I'd let Canada absorb Maine, Vermont and Northern New Hampshire (and I don't support that either) before I'd say all of New England should succeed.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:08 PM

633 posts, read 1,644,961 times
I dont see what is really wrong with the idea. I do get a strong feeling that United States wont last very long into farther future, or at least most of USA... so in some way who really knows? If this country falls farther?

Old 10-25-2011, 07:17 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
How would it sustain itself? It'd be very dependent on importing food.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:39 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,628,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm&Hammer View Post
I dont see what is really wrong with the idea. I do get a strong feeling that United States wont last very long into farther future, or at least most of USA... so in some way who really knows? If this country falls farther?
It's wrong because we are "one nation, indivisible". Each state entered into this Union knowing full well what it was getting into. Some states, like mine, fought for a very long time for that privilege. Some states, like where you come from, fought to found the nation in the first place. And now you want to break it up because of bad times??

Also, are you prepared for another civil war? Because that's what it would take to break this country apart. It may seem 'fun', interesting or even politically advantageous to talk about some states seceding from the Union, but do any of you who talk about such things really realize just what you are saying?

Old 10-25-2011, 08:41 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
This isn't on topic with general U.S. (see the room sticky) and frankly it shows it can easily go toward a political discussion - again, not on theme here. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.