Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 10:46 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,839,547 times

Advertisements

Houston perceived (for many at least)

- Typical TX stereotypes, i.e. cowboys, horses, provincial, politically conservative, hillbillies in pick-up trucks, etc.
- Everything is oil/energy industry, Enron etc.
- Restaurants are all BBQ or Tex-Mex
- The whole city is like the industrial east-side suburbs, i.e. refineries/pollution
- A very large, sprawling city but not much culture
- Desert-like scenery and in the middle of nowhere

Houston real (from living here over 8 years now)

- Great big-city amenties like top-notch culture/arts (great symphony, opera, ballet, theater, museums)... theatre district is second in size only to NYC's Broadway.... several of the local museums attract traveling exhibits from overseas that only hit 3-4 US cities, Houston often being one of them.
- Ethnic diversity and international atmosphere; only 2 other US cities have more foreign consulates. Lots of ethnic restaurants and festivals to sample. A large Chinatown area. The Montrose area has a very large gay population.
- Lots of great restaurants (named one of the best restaurant cities by a few publications), and you don't have to spend a fortune on most. Good shopping too.
- Nice downtown, I like that the pro sports venues are in downtown and not out in some 'burb.
- Much more than just the oil/energy industry. There's high-tech (HP, formerly Compaq), biotech, engineering... Lots of smart people between Rice University, the Texas Medical Center (largest grouping of hospitals and medical research facilities in the US, and the city's larger employer), and of course NASA. Then there's the Port of Houston, very huge.
- Lots of big trees and lush greenery around the city. Lots of little waterways too. Nearby water recreation (boating and fishing... Bay Area southeast of Houston has the 3rd largest number of pleasure boats in the US). Galveston doesn't have the best best beaches around (they're decent though), but the city has lots of neat Victorian architecture and the historic Strand is very nice. Oh, and you can hop on a cruise boat and go for a Caribbean holiday from the Port of Galveston...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 01:18 PM

87 posts, read 147,195 times
This is what people think about when they hear Minnesota

YouTube - My Favorite Minnesota - Camping - Campsites

YouTube - Minneapolis - Good & Bad (Snow Madness)

This what I think of...

YouTube - AQUA Nightclub

YouTube - AQUA Nightclub

Old 08-29-2007, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newintha719 View Post

This is what people think when they here Colorado...

YouTube - heli ski colorado

YouTube - Clips from: "The Cowboy"

This is what I think of...

YouTube - BarOptic.com Denver Commercial 2007

YouTube - Denver Night Life

Last edited by Newintha719; 08-29-2007 at 01:41 PM..

Old 08-29-2007, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontbelloTopHat View Post
Man! Denvers Night life looks real live, I still havent really got to go out in the D, I need to go get my party on! LOL

Old 08-29-2007, 03:54 PM

1,510 posts, read 5,066,665 times
Miami is a 'party' city.. which IMO is nothing to really boast about. Anyway, its known for...

Beaches
Bars/Clubs
Lots o' sun
South Beach
Night Life
Cubans
Weather
"Diverse Culture"
And recently, Miami Ink

Old 08-29-2007, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonofillfaith View Post
Miami is a 'party' city.. which IMO is nothing to really boast about. Anyway, its known for...

Beaches
Clubs
Lots o' sun
South Beach
Night Life
Cubans
Weather
"Diverse Culture"
And recently, Miami Ink
Out of Miami Las vegas, LA, and NY, no other cities have anything on them when it comes to parting

Old 08-29-2007, 04:07 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,653,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newintha719 View Post
Out of Miami Las vegas, LA, and NY, no other cities have anything on them when it comes to parting
What about Chicago?Thats a very vibrant city,with lots of nightlife.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:04 PM

718 posts, read 2,688,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
What about Chicago?Thats a very vibrant city,with lots of nightlife.
I think when paris hilton, warren g, decaprio, and especially lohan are seen leaving chique clubs in chicago it will be in the same category as "party destinations" like west hollywood,miami, nyc etc.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatealoneskatetogether View Post
I think when paris hilton, warren g, decaprio, and especially lohan are seen leaving chique clubs in chicago it will be in the same category as "party destinations" like west hollywood,miami, nyc etc.
Yea, but I saw young buck and C-bo at a club in Denver and I dnt think Denvers on the level of those cities, and the Chi is a really vibrerant and big city, but in Miami, LV, LA and NY, celeberties pack thier clubs every weekend, so in that light the Chi isnt on that level

Old 08-29-2007, 05:39 PM

718 posts, read 2,688,014 times
c bo in denver?!?!?! i didnt even know he had much of a following outside of sac
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.