Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What states are "Southern".
Alabama 8 17.78%
Georgia 3 6.67%
Florida 2 4.44%
Mississippi 7 15.56%
Tennessee 1 2.22%
Kentucky 2 4.44%
North Carolina 7 15.56%
South Carolina 1 2.22%
Virginia 2 4.44%
Louisiana 2 4.44%
Texas 5 11.11%
Oklahoma 1 2.22%
Missouri 0 0%
Maryland 4 8.89%
Delaware 0 0%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 05:01 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
Ok but the true northern states were not considered slave states and are not considered southern by the goverment and are not under the mason dixon line and did not support the confederates ect... And compare NYs number of slaves to the rest of these listed states! Not to mention that the other east coast states are not even an option in this poll.
We are NOT comparing number to with northern states, I'm just letting it be known there the same acts were taking place there too... that seems to get overlooked in history quite often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 05:33 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
We are NOT comparing number to with northern states, I'm just letting it be known there the same acts were taking place there too... that seems to get overlooked in history quite often.
Absolutely right KodeBlue!

The slave trade itself was a purely northern commodity, and Jim Crow laws orginated there. Bottom line is the old adage/admonition: People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones!

Slavery in the North

Northern Profits from Slavery

Origins of "Jim Crow" Laws

In a nutshell, the biggest difference in South and North in all this, is that Southerners were just not so damn hypocritical about it all. Whether in practice and/or recorded history!

Old 12-15-2011, 06:12 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,252,781 times
IDC what states are in the south, I LOVE THE SOUTH and am proud to live here. By far my favorite region with the most to offer. Proud to be born, raised, and currently live in the south. Only New York, Boston, and Minneapolis entice me enough to leave this beautiful region.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
IDC what states are in the south, I LOVE THE SOUTH and am proud to live here. By far my favorite region with the most to offer. Proud to be born, raised, and currently live in the south. Only New York, Boston, and Minneapolis entice me enough to leave this beautiful region.
I agree. The south a lot nicer than the northeast geographically. I also think the weather is better (Maryland is a bad demonstration of southern weather since it gets cold and snows often) because I like warm weather. I think people exaggerate how hot it is in the summer in the south also.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:31 PM

797 posts, read 1,430,087 times
These things happend in the south ALOT more than any other region in our country lets not act silly here now and its a bit of an exaggeration to say the same things happend in the north.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
These things happend in the south ALOT more than any other region in our country lets not act silly here now and its a bit of an exaggeration to say the same things happend in the north.
I provided facts, yet you are still in denial. At this point, if it hasn't started to sink in that the NE isn't a dense utopia that people on this forum make it out to be. Fact is that they have skeletons in their closet also.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:34 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
ROFLMAO. You really ARE in denial with all this self-righteous yankee garbage, aren't you?

Here is a post repeated...

The slave trade itself was a purely northern commodity, and Jim Crow laws orginated there. Bottom line is the old adage/admonition: People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones!

Slavery in the North

Northern Profits from Slavery

Origins of "Jim Crow" Laws

In a nutshell, the biggest difference in South and North in all this, is that Southerners were just not so damn hypocritical about it all. Whether in practice and/or recorded history!

Old 12-15-2011, 10:48 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
Quote:
: smack:

Old 12-15-2011, 10:51 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I agree. The south a lot nicer than the northeast geographically. I also think the weather is better (Maryland is a bad demonstration of southern weather since it gets cold and snows often) because I like warm weather. I think people exaggerate how hot it is in the summer in the south also.
You make me sad with that.

The south is beautiful, gorgeous. But it's doesn't make it BETTER geographically.

Pennsylvania, New York, Vermont... these are some the most beautiful states in the entire nation. Every bit as undeveloped and mountainous as the most beautiful areas of the south. And the pure snow is a sight to behold in winter's full swing.

I'd say on a scale of geographical beauty the mid and upper south are equal to the northeast.

To be honest the deep south is mostly flat and boring. Like much of the Midwest.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:27 PM

62 posts, read 159,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
i dont uderstand why you are calling me a troll for giving opinion and according to yor map dc is apart of the southeast and northeast at th same time. are you saying va suburbs of dc are part of the southeast??

thats what the maps say, troll
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.