Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What states are part of cultural Appalachia?
Alabama 20 37.74%
Georgia 31 58.49%
South Carolina 21 39.62%
North Carolina 45 84.91%
Tennessee 47 88.68%
Kentucky 49 92.45%
West Virginia 50 94.34%
Virginia 42 79.25%
Maryland 31 58.49%
Ohio 19 35.85%
Pennsylvania 44 83.02%
Upstate New York (Southern/Central/Western) 28 52.83%
Upstate New York (Eastern/Northern) 13 24.53%
New Jersey 3 5.66%
Connecticut 2 3.77%
Massachusetts 4 7.55%
Vermont 10 18.87%
New Hampshire 10 18.87%
Maine 11 20.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 04:19 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times

Advertisements

Another poll of my own curiosity towards the opinions of others.

What states do you consider a part of Appalachia?

For the sole sake of the broadest discussion I have included not only the states in the southern and central Appalachians (Southern NY to Alabama), but also in the northern Appalachians (Northern/eastern NY, north Jersey and most of New England).

To be clear, this is for your opinion on what states are part of the rural Appalachian culture that defines the sub region of Appalachia.

Bear in mind that this does not typically include entire states so much as states with Appalachian regions. For example, if you were to vote for Ohio, obviously it refers to southeastern Ohio specifically. I do believe the only states that are (geographically) entirely Appalachian would be West Virginia, Vermont, and Pennsylvania.

I've brought this up before, but this time I'm more collected and we have a poll! Great fun for all culture nerds like myself.

If you believe some less talked about northern states are a part in any way, please do let us know why. Or if you simply would like to point out some cultural similarities, or heck, differences feel free.

Remember this is all in good fun and I intend to have a mature discussion, let us please avoid narrow minded behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 09:14 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
I've heard even far northern Mississippi being included as part of Greater Appalachian, but I disagree. There's nothing really Appalachian about MS. Even Alabama is debatable. The solid Appalachian area is of course the main ridges and foothills of the Appalachians, northern GA, eastern TN, western SC, NC, VA, WV, PA and maybe southwestern New York State. I'm not sure if anywhere in Ohio qualifies, maybe part of Maryland.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:28 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
I voted North Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania. Although western portions of Virginia and Maryland would probably also fit. Small portions of Northern Georgia and western South Carolina fit. I guess it looks like there are parts of Northern Alabama that do fit geologically speaking. Northern Mississippi I think might have been placed in for economic or other reasons.

File:Appalachian map.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To me though when I think "Appalachian" I mostly think Kentucky, North Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia, and western parts of Virginia. Then parts of Pennsylvania after I'd learned more of them. New England has Appalachian places I suppose, but for some reason I don't think of them as "Appalachian."

Old 11-09-2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I voted North Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania. Although western portions of Virginia and Maryland would probably also fit. Small portions of Northern Georgia and western South Carolina fit. I guess it looks like there are parts of Northern Alabama that do fit geologically speaking. Northern Mississippi I think might have been placed in for economic or other reasons.

File:Appalachian map.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To me though when I think "Appalachian" I mostly think Kentucky, North Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia, and western parts of Virginia. Then parts of Pennsylvania after I'd learned more of them. New England has Appalachian places I suppose, but for some reason I don't think of them as "Appalachian."
Here, this map is FAR more accurate. File:Greatvalley-map.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The map you have there is really bad actually.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I've heard even far northern Mississippi being included as part of Greater Appalachian, but I disagree. There's nothing really Appalachian about MS. Even Alabama is debatable. The solid Appalachian area is of course the main ridges and foothills of the Appalachians, northern GA, eastern TN, western SC, NC, VA, WV, PA and maybe southwestern New York State. I'm not sure if anywhere in Ohio qualifies, maybe part of Maryland.
The Allegheny plateau's hills and valleys actually stretch across all of upstate NY from the west to the Catskills.

Edit: As well as eastern Ohio. More prominently in southeastern Ohio.

File:Greatvalley-map.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Good map here.

Last edited by CookieSkoon; 11-09-2011 at 11:55 PM..

Old 11-09-2011, 11:24 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,094,873 times
Every state on that list IMO. Ohio to a limited extent. Roughly the Eastern 3/4 of Ohio lie in the Appalachians.

Old 11-10-2011, 03:27 AM

10 posts, read 15,081 times
I was born in Appalachian Ohio, Piketon to be exact.

When I was younger, my family and I moved to Columbus for work. People would make fun of my accent all the time in Columbus. It kind of made me ashamed of my Appalachian roots.

I now live in northern Alabama and so far I've had no problems after moving from another Appalachian town, Chillicothe, OH. But the only Appalachian parts of Alabama I believe are in the northeastern corner.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:07 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
NE Mississippi, northern and NE Alabama, N Georgia, Middle and East Tennessee, Upstate South Carolina, Eastern Kentucky, Western North Carolina, Western Virginia, West Virginia, Southeast Ohio, Central and Western Pennsylvania, Southern Tier New York extending east to Catskills, Western Maryland, Western Massachusetts, Northwest Connecticut, Vermont, Western and northern New Hampshire, Western Maine.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:15 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
"The Appalachian Regional Commission (ARC) is a regional economic development agency that represents a partnership of federal, state, and local government. Established by an act of Congress in 1965, ARC is composed of the governors of the 13 Appalachian states and a federal co-chair, who is appointed by the president. Local participation is provided through multi-county local development districts." (About ARC - Appalachian Regional Commission)

Their designation is good enough for me: Counties in Appalachia - Appalachian Regional Commission

Old 11-10-2011, 09:00 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,622,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
"The Appalachian Regional Commission (ARC) is a regional economic development agency that represents a partnership of federal, state, and local government. Established by an act of Congress in 1965, ARC is composed of the governors of the 13 Appalachian states and a federal co-chair, who is appointed by the president. Local participation is provided through multi-county local development districts." (About ARC - Appalachian Regional Commission)

Their designation is good enough for me: Counties in Appalachia - Appalachian Regional Commission
that's not a very good definition, because the boundaries were politically motivated. They include Youngstown, Ohio, for example, and large swaths of Mississippi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.