Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Midwest, rustbelt-like reputation, economy and population growth explosion in Detroit, Cleveland, St. Louis, Milwaukee a thing of the past, next 50 year economic projection

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 11:50 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,406,869 times

Advertisements

This is just simply a question I thought that I would throw it there. Everybody knows about the Midwest and its rustbelt-like reputation. Cities like Detroit, Cleveland, St. Louis, and Milwaukee were once booming as far as economy and population growth were concerned, then all of a sudden just shut down. Does anybody see a Reverse-Reverse Migration possible happening in the next 50 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 12:21 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,569,365 times
To make this argument, you have to make distinction between city propers and metropolitan areas. All of the cities mentioned, as metropolitan regions, are doing pretty well. Detroit is still economically depressed, Cleveland has a problem with foreclosures, but Saint Louis and Milwaukee are pretty vibrant. With the trend of returning to more urbanized areas, Saint Louis and Milwaukee will do particularly well as they offer a very urban and convenient atmosphere at a relatively affordable price. Milwaukee is also more strong than St. L because Milw. did not lose it's neighrorhoods, there are no urban prairies. I believe that, in time, even places like Detroit will revitalize. This would be hastened if we changed the tax system in this country such that Detroit's taxes are the same as Atlanta's or Phoenix's.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:54 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,035,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
This is just simply a question I thought that I would throw it there. Everybody knows about the Midwest and its rustbelt-like reputation. Cities like Detroit, Cleveland, St. Louis, and Milwaukee were once booming as far as economy and population growth were concerned, then all of a sudden just shut down. Does anybody see a Reverse-Reverse Migration possible happening in the next 50 years?
To these cities? No.

Everywhere else in the Midwest seems to be doing just fine.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:18 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,662,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I believe they will do well again.I don't think they'll ever be what they were in the '50s again,but I just do not think these cities will continue to struggle.But it will take more than 5-10 years for them to clean up.I know my city Cleveland has some problems,or negatives.But my city also has many positives too,so if they build around the positives Cleveland will be a good place to live again.I heard there are plans to put up new office buildings in Cleveland.Than there is the Euclid-Corrider project which is neraly complete.Thier putting up all those new condos on the westside.There are plans for a Medical Mart.Cleveland has some of the best hospitals in the world.So if they can build around these positives,I believe more positives will form.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:38 PM

151 posts, read 740,324 times
Dude, the Midwest is not "The Depressed Reigon". In fact, some parts of the Midwest are doing great like Minneapolis is booming, and Den Moise is pretty well on track too. There are parts of the Northeast that are pretty well "depressed", like have you been to Ohio latley? or WV's Northen panhandle? or Western PA? or Upstate New York? Yeah, depressed rust belt crap is not exclusive to the Midwest.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:40 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,439,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrySRA View Post
Dude, the Midwest is not "The Depressed Reigon". In fact, some parts of the Midwest are doing great like Minneapolis is booming, and Den Moise is pretty well on track too. There are parts of the Northeast that are pretty well "depressed", like have you been to Ohio latley? or WV's Northen panhandle? or Western PA? or Upstate New York? Yeah, depressed rust belt crap is not exclusive to the Midwest.
Its Des Moines. Des Moines. Des Moines. Des Moines. Des Moines.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:42 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,722,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
To make this argument, you have to make distinction between city propers and metropolitan areas. All of the cities mentioned, as metropolitan regions, are doing pretty well. Detroit is still economically depressed, Cleveland has a problem with foreclosures, but Saint Louis and Milwaukee are pretty vibrant. With the trend of returning to more urbanized areas, Saint Louis and Milwaukee will do particularly well as they offer a very urban and convenient atmosphere at a relatively affordable price. Milwaukee is also more strong than St. L because Milw. did not lose it's neighrorhoods, there are no urban prairies. I believe that, in time, even places like Detroit will revitalize. This would be hastened if we changed the tax system in this country such that Detroit's taxes are the same as Atlanta's or Phoenix's.
This couldn't be more spot-on.

I am in Milwaukee metro right now, and it is a pretty vibrant 5-county suburban metro. Will the city of Milwaukee ever return to its heyday of the '50s-'60s...very likely no, due to several reasons. However, even the city of Milwaukee is booming in places like its Downtown and near-Downtown areas.

But while the city itself may never reach those heights again, the whole 5-county suburban metro area is pretty darn strong. There are definite issues that they need to address (similar to many of the midwest cities) - taxes being a big one. However, a place like Milwaukee has an advantage over a place like Phoenix that isn't something a place like Phoenix could have done anything about (or any other sunbelt city that didn't start booming until the 70s / 80s)...its history / culture.

Heck, even suburban Detroit isn't as bad as the perceptions and media types paint it. The city of Detroit? Yep, pretty rough shape. However, while there are economic obstacles due to the concentration on the auto industry, overall that is still a massive - 5+ million - suburban population that will rejuvenate if for no reason than out of necessity. It may take time, and a million or so may leave along the way - but it'll bounce back.

Some of the big population metros of the nation - Twin Cities, Chicago, Milwaukee, Detroit, St. Louis, Columbus/Cincinnati/Cleveland, Indianapolis - are in the upper midwest - things will not crumble any time soon in these metro areas.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:42 PM

492 posts, read 2,374,110 times
I don't know if they will ever make a serious comeback or not, but I sure would love to have seen them in their heydays...

They won't shrivel up and die... That's for sure. But I think they've made a shift from globally important cities to regionally important cities. And I'm thinking of Pittsburgh when I say this. At one time it was THE Steel City. Cities around the world were nicknamed "the Pittsburgh of Germany" or "the Pittsburgh of Argentina" or the Pittsburgh of X... But now I'd say that Pittsburgh has fallen from the "global radar" so to speak.

However, I think the quality of life has improved greatly since the city's "boom days". My great grandpa had to leave the city in 1929 when he was 12 years old because the smoke agravated (or caused?) his asthma and chronic cough.

So the booming cities aren't necessarily the best places to live and the old, declining cities aren't the worst places to live.

And to answer your question, maybe high gas prices in the future will make urban living more desirable to suburbanites.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:39 PM

572 posts, read 1,997,362 times
I think the Midwest cities will start to grow at a faster clip.
Why?
They have character that cities such as ATL & Phoenix do not.
They are way more affordable than cities such as SF or Boston.
The weather is four seasons. Sometimes too cold and sometimes too hot but a nice balance.
There are certain "values" that feel normal to most people. Not like the glam of LA.
People will get tired of spread out cities where they spend too much time in a car.
The infrastructure is already in place.

Why not?
Regional and state governments need to work together to promote growth.
Taxes need to be favorable.
Perceptions need to change.

Old 08-31-2007, 03:48 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,439,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st. louie louie View Post
I think the Midwest cities will start to grow at a faster clip.
Why?
They have character that cities such as ATL & Phoenix do not.
They are way more affordable than cities such as SF or Boston.
The weather is four seasons. Sometimes too cold and sometimes too hot but a nice balance.
There are certain "values" that feel normal to most people. Not like the glam of LA.
People will get tired of spread out cities where they spend too much time in a car.
The infrastructure is already in place.

Why not?
Regional and state governments need to work together to promote growth.
Taxes need to be favorable.
Perceptions need to change.
Id have to agree with your statements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.