Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 05:04 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,964,418 times

Advertisements

I'd say for me, of the places I've been to:

Eugene, Oregon - reminds me a lot of eastern Iowa and Wisconsin
Salem, Oregon - Feels like a much smaller Columbus, Ohio
Buffalo, NY/Erie, PA - Very similar to Cleveland and Toledo
Great Falls, Montana - Feels similar to the Dakotas and Nebraska/western Minnesota in culture and climate
Fort Collins, Colorado - More or less where the West and Midwest collide
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 05:30 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,038,253 times
Manhattan reminds me of Chicago

Old 06-18-2015, 07:37 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,090,856 times
-The Columbia River Gorge reminds me of the river bluffs of the Upper Mississippi;
Upper Mississippi:

Columbia River Gorge:

-The Northwoods and Lake Superior Coastline from the MN/ON border east to Pictured Rocks NL reminds me of the area west of I-5 in Oregon...the only differences are the Oregon Coast has mountains, bigger trees, and a much milder climate, but both seem like never ending forests and have amazing coastline;

Old 06-18-2015, 07:48 PM
chh

420 posts, read 652,844 times
Small towns in norcal and west of I-5 in Oregon remind me of small towns in Northern Michigan and Wisconsin

Old 06-18-2015, 07:55 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,993,613 times
Driving east bound from Seattle, the farms remind me of Iowa. Cornfields, and certain style of barn.

Old 06-19-2015, 07:28 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,463,557 times
parts of rural Wisconsin look a bit like upstate NY.

Old 06-19-2015, 06:52 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,089,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
Driving east bound from Seattle, the farms remind me of Iowa. Cornfields, and certain style of barn.
Um, are you sure you have your locations right? Eastbound from Seattle is Cascades wilderness and then barren desert for more than a hundred miles immediately after you leave the mountains. I definitely did not see cornfields driving out there and back last summer.

Old 06-21-2015, 01:42 PM

389 posts, read 596,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
I'd say for me, of the places I've been to:

Eugene, Oregon - reminds me a lot of eastern Iowa and Wisconsin
Salem, Oregon - Feels like a much smaller Columbus, Ohio
Buffalo, NY/Erie, PA - Very similar to Cleveland and Toledo
Great Falls, Montana - Feels similar to the Dakotas and Nebraska/western Minnesota in culture and climate
Fort Collins, Colorado - More or less where the West and Midwest collide
Funny you mentioned Great Falls. I was thinking Great Falls before I opened the thread. My mother is from there, and I always refer to it as the midwest (which she doesn't like).

It doesn't really feel like quintessential Montana, as it's in the plains. The architecture is pretty midwestern, as well, with red brick buildings downtown, victorian style homes in certain areas, many split levels in the suburban areas, etc.

Also, it's kind of economically depressed, like a rust belt city. And I believe many of the early settlers were from the midwest. I know the natives of that city have an accent that closely resembles the midwestern accent.

Old 06-21-2015, 01:55 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,993,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Um, are you sure you have your locations right? Eastbound from Seattle is Cascades wilderness and then barren desert for more than a hundred miles immediately after you leave the mountains. I definitely did not see cornfields driving out there and back last summer.
Oops, I should have been more specific. East bound on Highway 2.

Old 06-21-2015, 02:57 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,518,052 times
Echoing Nei, Wisconsin and Upstate New York are very similar in term so geography, flora, fauna, and the fashion choices of the residents.

Otherwise the Palouse Region of Washington and Idaho reminds me of Northeastern Kansas: green rolling hills, not many trees, sunny. Kind of redneck, but not trashy and poor.

Many of the smaller cities in Eastern Pennsylvania (Allentown, Wilkes-Barre, and Scranton) feel like they've been pulled out of Northern Ohio or Southern Michigan.

Parts of California's Central Valley remind me of Oklahoma, minus the red dirt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.