Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2022, 01:03 PM

613 posts, read 326,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealpinist View Post
Seahawks has the largest geographic fan base in the United States. Pretty much stretches from Oregon up to Alaska.
Pretty sure they got fans in Idaho and Montana as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2022, 01:18 PM

638 posts, read 347,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illadelph73 View Post
Pretty sure they got fans in Idaho and Montana as well
Yes I know that Idaho and Montana have a lot of hawks fans. Was just pointing out that there is a very large fan base in Alaska. The Seahawks make a strong effort to regularly make trips to small communities in Alaska.

Old 04-21-2022, 08:43 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
I think the PNW is a combination of Northern CA and Alaska. It seems to be the central part of these regions.

Old 04-21-2022, 09:48 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
Re: Seattle specifically, we're a like-minded move destination for SF people who want prices to be 1/3 lower. And we're the logistics HQ and jumping off point for Alaska. But to throw out meaningless numbers, the two regions are 15% and 10% influences on our culture.

The rural PNW and more distant urban fringes are far more conservative than the CA equivalents, with huge influences from the military and resource extraction.

Old 04-22-2022, 12:03 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,708,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post

The rural PNW and more distant urban fringes are far more conservative than the CA equivalents, with huge influences from the military and resource extraction.
No doubt, California is just a much more cosmopolitan, urban state on the whole than Washington, Oregon or Idaho. The PNW has liberal, cosmopolitan big cities, but it changes quickly once you leave those cities.

Old 04-23-2022, 01:37 AM

93 posts, read 84,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
I disagree, at least in regards to the Bay Area and its surroundings. When looking at landscape, climate, people, demographics, the Bay Area has much more in common with SoCal than it does the PNW.

If we're talking like north of Redding or Crescent City area, then I could see the similarities.
I agree. This notion of the Bay Area being much more like the PNW than So Cal is complete BS. I live in So Cal and work in the Bay and so travel there all the time. The cultural similarities are quite strong across all the big California coastal cities, along with the things you mentioned. Heck just dealing with the same State government and its related impact on life creates huge commonality. Also a massive number of people working in tech in the Bay, have moved there from So Cal. The only time the PNW comes up (and that too specifically Seattle) is that many good software guys relocated there. That's about it. Plus the usual jibes about the terrible winter weather there.

Old 04-23-2022, 08:07 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,417,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
No doubt, California is just a much more cosmopolitan, urban state on the whole than Washington. The PNW has liberal, cosmopolitan big cities, but it changes quickly once you leave those cities.
I kind of like that. It's a short drive to escape Seattle sometimes. I'm not conservative but I can appreciate the conservative worldview and way of life too. It's good to have a little balance in life. The PNW would be a miserable place if everywhere in it were like Capitol Hill and downtown Portland.

Old 07-21-2022, 09:01 AM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
The Pacific Northwest has the culture and overall personality most compatible with my own, imo. It feels like the most individualistic part of the country.

California is also isolated from much of the country like the PNW but it plays a major role in the country's culture. Love of sports, religions, and patriotism seems to be in line with the rest of the country. So I don't think it's the distance. The PNW, on the other hand, seems to attract a lot of misfits (maybe that's why I seem to have an affinity for it).. perhaps the terminus of the Oregon Trail has something to do with it, with the descendants of misfits who migrated west over a century ago?
Yes I would agree with you. The PNW does seem to attract a lot of misfits for whatever the reason. It's very noticeable

Old 07-21-2022, 11:59 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
I kind of like that. It's a short drive to escape Seattle sometimes. I'm not conservative but I can appreciate the conservative worldview and way of life too. It's good to have a little balance in life. The PNW would be a miserable place if everywhere in it were like Capitol Hill and downtown Portland.
Yes, that's true. Still the more conservative cities south of Olympia like Centralia, the cascade foothills areas like Enumclaw, Eatonville, and everythings east of the mountains still cannot compete with the shear numbers in the Seattle/Tacoma Everett Metro area, so the state overall is always going to look liberal.

Old 07-25-2022, 04:13 AM

365 posts, read 229,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
California is also isolated from much of the country like the PNW but it plays a major role in the country's culture. Love of sports, religions, and patriotism seems to be in line with the rest of the country. So I don't think it's the distance. The PNW, on the other hand, seems to attract a lot of misfits (maybe that's why I seem to have an affinity for it).. perhaps the terminus of the Oregon Trail has something to do with it, with the descendants of misfits who migrated west over a century ago?
Wait - you think California's love of sports, religion and patriotism is in line with the rest of the country? The PNW has more passionate sports fans than California by a good margin.

The SF Bay Area is arguably the least patriotic metro in the country. At least in Seattle and Portland, when you get out to some of the suburbs and outer areas, it gets a little more patriotic. And outside of those cities, Washington State and Oregon are far more patriotic than most of California. They are more rural states, and rural areas tend to be more patriotic and conservative.

As for misfits, California - especially the Bay Area - has far more than its share as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.