Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 11:25 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,294,975 times

Advertisements

We see on this forum post after post asking about "safe" areas. I have no idea what that really means. Pick just about any City, and you can find "unsafe" areas.

Here in Knoxville we have had several horrific murders, even a serial killer, yet I feel its a pretty "safe" area to live. I've lived here since 94.

I lived and worked in the Los Angeles County area for decades. My work sometimes took me into the inner city, Housing Projects, and some really bad areas. I never had a problem in the 12 years I was doing that work. Thats not to say I didn't take precautions - I did. Thats also not to say there wasn't crime in those areas. There was a lot!

The same can be said for just about any City. You must be aware of your surroundings, and not put yourself in bad situations. Most "bad areas" look like "bad areas". Of course, not all areas that look bad, are. Thats the main reason it is pretty much impossible to give a zip code, or street location where "bad areas", or "unsafe areas" start and stop.

Looking at crime statistics may give you some idea of how safe a City might be, but crime, and bad things happen in even the best neighborhoods.

My advice is to go to both cities, drive around, both day and night, and talk to people. You will get a feel for the City, and get a feel for your comfort level of what you consider "safe".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 07:08 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,273,471 times
Well, I figured this serial killer was before my time so I looked it up to check out some history that I must have missed. Knox Sentinel has a serial killer database - who knew? - but the only serial killer listed was for Nashville around 1997. He was called - get this - "The Fast Food Killer." Serial killers Information & News from Knoxville News Sentinel (Knoxville, TN)

Old 01-07-2012, 05:54 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,294,975 times
I was referring to The Zoo Man. Didn't he have multiple victims? Maybe that doesn't qualify for serial killer.
Here is the link, I guess he does.
http://www.crimezzz.net/serialkiller...KEY_thomas.php

Last edited by Barking Spider; 01-07-2012 at 05:56 AM.. Reason: found the link

Old 01-07-2012, 11:59 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,273,471 times
Maybe it is not in their database because he is not doing time for the murders, just the rapes. It looks like there was a deadlocked jury. Baumgartner was the judge. Ewwww. Interesting. But I guess it was all thrown out due to coercion and evidence issues. Still, Barmgartner...Judge cuts 2 years from Thomas Huskey's rape sentence » Knoxville News Sentinel That could go the other way, too, since it was that judge that was involved.

For those not in the know, former Judge Baumgartner was a drug addict and did favors for defendants that came before him. He was also probably screwed up through a lot of trials including the infamous rape, torture and murder of two local young people by some Kentucky gang members and a couple of local thugs. New trials have been ordered for the defendants.

Personally, I think the crime rate is about the same in both cities. I have no idea how SC collects their data, though. Ours is based on each crime that occurred per incident so it makes our rate higher. But who knows. I know the cops around here are excellent.

Tax-wise, Tennessee has a slight edge. Weather-wise, it will be hotter in SC.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:51 AM

11 posts, read 36,677 times
I lived the first 50 plus years of my life in South Carolina and have lived here in East Tennessee for 14 years. South Carolina will cost more to live because of state income taxes and property taxes along. We save several thousand dollars a year verses South Carolina. As for crime, it can happen any where but we live in Dandridge TN area and have not had any to speak of since we moved here. IMHO Knoxville hands down, she won't be sorry.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:57 PM

190 posts, read 742,969 times
I am the lone dissenter. I vote for SC. She's young and single, right? I think she will have an easier time in Columbia. Knoxville does not seem like an easy place for single people to meet anyone unless they are still in college. This is my opinion, but I am from SC and now live in Knoxville. And she will be safe in Columbia. Just like Barking Spider said...there are safe and unsafe areas in every city. I visit there many times a year and have family there. No one has ever complained about it being unsafe.
She is the one who will be living there (where ever it is) and therefore it is really up to her. Don't make her feel like she is letting you down or upsetting you if she picks Columbia. (I say this mom-to-mom)

Old 01-19-2012, 07:37 PM

64 posts, read 185,586 times
Hands down, Knoxville. Born and raised in East Tennessee. Currently living 1 hour north of Columbia. The state income tax in SC will eat up the $4k and then some. I'm sure she's young, but if she wants to consider educational opportunities, Tennessee wins there as well. Would be happy to answer any other comparative questions you have!

Old 01-22-2012, 03:10 PM

469 posts, read 1,175,043 times
The weather and the landscape are much much better in Knoxville. Its a more progressive community as well. Personally I don't think I'd enjoy being at the center of the popular spectator sport known as South Carolina state politics in Columbia. About the only thing it has on Knoxville is distance to the beach.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:26 PM

114 posts, read 618,385 times
I think others have probably said this, but I'd say she should visit both. They're only a 4 hour drive or so apart. Statistics don't really mean a lot if you don't like the place. I made my decision to move too much based on statistics, and I should have listened more to my gut.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:57 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,291,459 times
I would pick Knoxville over Columbia any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Two big reasons for me are the taxes - taxes are really low in TN with no income tax.

The biggest reason, though, is the climate. Columbia is oppressively hot in the summer. It has almost 2 months of temps in the high 90s with 90%+ humidity. It's like living in a pressure cooker all summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.