Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2014, 09:58 AM

3 posts, read 2,230 times

Advertisements

Hi City-Data!

I am currently in the process of researching cities to move to after college and I don’t have a clue what city would suit me. I have been recommended to post on here by my uncle who is also a user as he said the site is a good resource for choosing a city to move.

Economy
I am looking into getting a job working for a multinational, something involving the financial side of things (e.g. accounting) or failing that a standard, white collar office job.

Cost of Living
This is very important to an almost college grad. I come from a middle class family, however, they won’t be helping me out financially because I am an adult after all. I won’t be able to afford a city that is notoriously expensive (goodbye, New York) and I am looking for a place that is cheap but your money goes far and it isn’t a dump.

Crime
A low crime rate is ideal but my lower cost of living requirement may harm this. As long as I am not moving to a city that is synonymous with crime (e.g. Detroit) that’s fine.

Weather
I couldn’t care less about the weather but I hate gloomy weather and I am not too happy with snow but I can stand it at least for winter. I am looking for a climate that is hot in the summer (I prefer humidity to dry heat) and fall but mild in the winter and spring. Also, it’s worth noting I like rain and thunderstorms (but not consistent), so I guess the south-east would match *this* specific requirement?

Lifestyle
I am quite introverted but since going to college I have become more extraverted. That said I hate crowds and crowded areas. I can deal with a busy bar or restaurant but if I am walking down the street I like a clear route and the ability to walk at my own pace without being ran over by taxis or businessmen. I like to be out and doing stuff at the weekends and some weeknights. I play soccer and my friends are into sports, music and just “Average Joe” kind of stuff.

Activities
I hate the opera and theater. I am not a fine arts kind of guy. I do, however, enjoy music (mainly alternative, indie and rock but also quite like blues and hip-hop). Aside from music I love soccer and football, so a city with an NFL team (in the city or nearby) and a soccer team (doesn’t matter if it’s MLS or not) is a-okay!

Politics
I consider myself a liberal but I wouldn’t say I am that left-wing. For instance, I believe abortion and gay marriage should be allowed, however, I am against the legalization of marijuana and have a dislike for the militant feminist movements (feminism itself is fine but I cannot tolerate the hypocritical, pretentious militant feminists who loathe men). I couldn’t stand living in San Francisco despite being a liberal as it’s too wacky for me. Oh, perhaps an important issue to provide my stance on: gun control. I am not pro-2nd Amendment nor am I pro-gun control. I believe there should be added checks but not as drastic as some Democrats have proposed as I believe our country is so saturated with guns it would be hard to get rid of them and only the law abiding citizens would hand them in in the first place, leaving criminals armed and law abiding citizens unarmed.

Religion
I am not religious but I am not atheist either. I am very open to religious people but I don’t wish the partake. I hold my own religious beliefs but don’t identify as a Christian or Catholic, etc.

Dating
I am a single, heterosexual male and I have a preference for white women (this is not a racial thing, but I just don’t find Asian women attractive, African American women I do however). A city that is known to have a good dating scene *for men* is a must.

Food
I like my meat (in a purely culinary way ) and dislike seafood. A city where I can get a *good* steak, burger, hot dog, pizza, or fried chicken is where I want to be.

Sorry if it’s *too* detailed but my uncle told me I will get more responses if I am thorough. So far I have ruled out the West Coast, New York City, and Florida (I dislike Florida after spending my childhood leaving there).

Thanks in advance,
Lee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 10:43 AM

93,402 posts, read 124,052,832 times
I guess Dallas or Houston would fit. Kansas City may be another area to consider.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:55 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,048,732 times
Focusing on this statement of yours:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchild View Post
I am against the legalization of marijuana
So that definitely removes Washington and Colorado from your options.

Then, there are the 21 more states with medical marijuana. Off your list.

Then there are 3 more with pending legislation:

Florida
Ohio
Pennsylvania

That leaves 28 states. How do you feel about the deep South, or the plains of Kansas?

The New York Times called this week for legalization (NOT just medical!) (as I'm sure you know)

Marijuana and Medical Marijuana - The New York Times

Now the feds are going with the will of the people, again, after just OKing banks to accept deposits from dispensaries.

House votes to restrict DEA marijuana raids | MSNBC

Like it or not, just like the Soviet Union, or opposition to gay marriage, criminalization of marijuana is an idea that is rapidly collapsing socially and politically.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Focusing on this statement of yours:

So that definitely removes Washington and Colorado from your options.

Then, there are the 21 more states with medical marijuana. Off your list.

Then there are 3 more with pending legislation:

Florida
Ohio
Pennsylvania

That leaves 28 states. How do you feel about the deep South, or the plains of Kansas?

The New York Times called this week for legalization (NOT just medical!) (as I'm sure you know)

[url=http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/subjects/m/marijuana/index.html?ref=topics]Marijuana and Medical Marijuana - The New York Times[/url]

Now the feds are going with the will of the people, again, after just OKing banks to accept deposits from dispensaries.

[url=http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/house-votes-restrict-dea-marijuana-raids]House votes to restrict DEA marijuana raids | MSNBC[/url]

Like it or not, just like the Soviet Union, or opposition to gay marriage, criminalization of marijuana is an idea that is rapidly collapsing socially and politically.
I am not against decriminalization, never said I was. I just don't think it should be sold, taxed, etc. i believe you should be able to use it yourself IN YOUR OWN OR A CONSENTING PERSON'S HOME and not face arrest, yet legalizing and taxing it is not a good idea imo

Old 07-29-2014, 12:19 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchild View Post
Hi City-Data!

I am currently in the process of researching cities to move to after college and I don’t have a clue what city would suit me. I have been recommended to post on here by my uncle who is also a user as he said the site is a good resource for choosing a city to move.

Economy
I am looking into getting a job working for a multinational, something involving the financial side of things (e.g. accounting) or failing that a standard, white collar office job.

Cost of Living
This is very important to an almost college grad. I come from a middle class family, however, they won’t be helping me out financially because I am an adult after all. I won’t be able to afford a city that is notoriously expensive (goodbye, New York) and I am looking for a place that is cheap but your money goes far and it isn’t a dump.

Crime
A low crime rate is ideal but my lower cost of living requirement may harm this. As long as I am not moving to a city that is synonymous with crime (e.g. Detroit) that’s fine.

Weather
I couldn’t care less about the weather but I hate gloomy weather and I am not too happy with snow but I can stand it at least for winter. I am looking for a climate that is hot in the summer (I prefer humidity to dry heat) and fall but mild in the winter and spring. Also, it’s worth noting I like rain and thunderstorms (but not consistent), so I guess the south-east would match *this* specific requirement?

Lifestyle
I am quite introverted but since going to college I have become more extraverted. That said I hate crowds and crowded areas. I can deal with a busy bar or restaurant but if I am walking down the street I like a clear route and the ability to walk at my own pace without being ran over by taxis or businessmen. I like to be out and doing stuff at the weekends and some weeknights. I play soccer and my friends are into sports, music and just “Average Joe” kind of stuff.

Activities
I hate the opera and theater. I am not a fine arts kind of guy. I do, however, enjoy music (mainly alternative, indie and rock but also quite like blues and hip-hop). Aside from music I love soccer and football, so a city with an NFL team (in the city or nearby) and a soccer team (doesn’t matter if it’s MLS or not) is a-okay!

Politics
I consider myself a liberal but I wouldn’t say I am that left-wing. For instance, I believe abortion and gay marriage should be allowed, however, I am against the legalization of marijuana and have a dislike for the militant feminist movements (feminism itself is fine but I cannot tolerate the hypocritical, pretentious militant feminists who loathe men). I couldn’t stand living in San Francisco despite being a liberal as it’s too wacky for me. Oh, perhaps an important issue to provide my stance on: gun control. I am not pro-2nd Amendment nor am I pro-gun control. I believe there should be added checks but not as drastic as some Democrats have proposed as I believe our country is so saturated with guns it would be hard to get rid of them and only the law abiding citizens would hand them in in the first place, leaving criminals armed and law abiding citizens unarmed.

Religion
I am not religious but I am not atheist either. I am very open to religious people but I don’t wish the partake. I hold my own religious beliefs but don’t identify as a Christian or Catholic, etc.

Dating
I am a single, heterosexual male and I have a preference for white women (this is not a racial thing, but I just don’t find Asian women attractive, African American women I do however). A city that is known to have a good dating scene *for men* is a must.

Food
I like my meat (in a purely culinary way ) and dislike seafood. A city where I can get a *good* steak, burger, hot dog, pizza, or fried chicken is where I want to be.

Sorry if it’s *too* detailed but my uncle told me I will get more responses if I am thorough. So far I have ruled out the West Coast, New York City, and Florida (I dislike Florida after spending my childhood leaving there).

Thanks in advance,
Lee
It really sounds like the Atlanta metro area would fit well with your criteria. Check out the close-in or in-town suburban areas of Decatur, Druid Hills/North Druid Hills, Virginia Highlands, Avondale Estates and East Atlanta.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:30 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Nashville

Securing a job will be your most important task, and there are many corporate HQs (some international) and financial services companies in the area that are expanding, such as Bridgestone, Nissan, Gaylord Entertainment, Noranda Aluminum, Trustcore and Lattimore Black Morgan and Cain.

Nashville checks off all the other categories you mentioned. It's not as churchy as people believe, the weather and food are what you like, we have an NFL team and a huge amateur soccer community, and the music scene is right up your alley.

Rents are high, with 1BRs averaging around $900-$1000/month.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:36 PM

Thanks for the input so far! Keep it coming
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.