Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 02:50 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,528,298 times

Advertisements

Politically liberal, educated populace
Local university, and other good educational options in state
Good public transportation (alternatives to a car/bus/bike)
Affordable housing outside of suburbia
Lots cultural amenities (museums, performances, libraries)
Family-friendly (good parks, schools, museums, etc...)
Safe, lower crime rate
Lots of independent shops and unique neighborhoods
Coffee shops, dog parks, bookstores, bakeries, wide variety restaurants
Religion is private (and Christian proselytizing is rare)
Any weather except cloudy 9 months out of the year

....and preferably on or near the East Coast?

This place probably doesn't exist in the U.S., but I appreciate any input. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 07:17 AM

927 posts, read 1,459,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
Politically liberal, educated populace
Local university, and other good educational options in state
Good public transportation (alternatives to a car/bus/bike)
Affordable housing outside of suburbia
Lots cultural amenities (museums, performances, libraries)
Family-friendly (good parks, schools, museums, etc...)
Safe, lower crime rate
Lots of independent shops and unique neighborhoods
Coffee shops, dog parks, bookstores, bakeries, wide variety restaurants
Religion is private (and Christian proselytizing is rare)
Any weather except cloudy 9 months out of the year

....and preferably on or near the East Coast?

This place probably doesn't exist in the U.S., but I appreciate any input. Thanks!
ALMOST DID NOT REPLY - anti liberal here ...

... however - in all seriousness - there is a town about 1/2 hour from me called Chapel Hill, North Carolina ... if you can or want to afford it

It's a bit more liberal than the SeaTac area - sort of (not exactly) reminds me of a nicer part of Lynnwood

... umm - yeah! I lived in Seattle - hate to admit it - it was one of my favorite places in the country.

Hopw you wouldn't miss all the seafood from there!

Old 01-10-2012, 04:06 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,528,298 times
I used to live in Chapel Hill, so yeah, looking for something like that but maybe but much, much larger & not in the SE. More urban.

Ithica -- looks beautiful, but like Chapel Hill, is probably dominated by its one university. It's small, and jobs would be hard to find. But it's an absolutely gorgeous place!

Old 01-10-2012, 04:40 AM

570 posts, read 1,340,604 times
Portland, Maine fits a lot of the criteria on your list, if you don't mind the cold + snow! It's a great small city

Old 01-10-2012, 08:28 AM

93,366 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
I used to live in Chapel Hill, so yeah, looking for something like that but maybe but much, much larger & not in the SE. More urban.

Ithica -- looks beautiful, but like Chapel Hill, is probably dominated by its one university. It's small, and jobs would be hard to find. But it's an absolutely gorgeous place!
Ithaca has Cornell University, Ithaca College and Tompkins-Cortland CC in nearby Dryden. Jobs will depend on your skills/education. With that said, it is smaller than Chapel Hill, but actually has a lower overall COL.

Just in case: Jobs at Cornell

Recruitment & Employment - Ithaca College

TC3 - Human Resources: Job Opportunities

http://www2.cortland.edu/offices/hr/jobs/ (20 minutes away)

Southern Tier Jobs

Job Opportunities @ CBORD

https://borgwarner.taleo.net/careers...ch.ftl?lang=en

Goodrich Jobs - Ithaca, NY - NY Job Openings
http://www.goodrich.com/Goodrich/Enterprise/Careers/ch.Locations.transform?State=NY&BU=N%2FA&submit=Su bmit&Country=N%2FA&SEG=N%2FA (broken link)

http://www.cayugamed.org/content.cfm?page=employment

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-10-2012 at 08:40 AM..

Old 01-10-2012, 12:04 PM

295 posts, read 659,344 times
Burlington, VT? Never been there myself, but I thought I would add it to your list.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:26 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,104,547 times
Quote:

While still in the southeast (and right next door in fact) Durham, NC ticks a lot of your boxes. Mass transit is not great, but is improving. Not sure when you lived in Chapel Hill, but Durham has been experiencing a renaissance over the past 5 years or so and there is some really cool stuff going on.

Parts of Philly would work for you, but the crime in the city overall is pretty high. I'm thinking of neighborhoods like Manayunk or Fairmount.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:37 PM

442 posts, read 540,183 times
Minneapolis, MN.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:00 PM

93,366 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Ann Arbor MI is another to consider. Madison WI would work too. Amherst MA comes to mind as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.