Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 11:47 AM

251 posts, read 572,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
Seattle and San Francisco are what you are seeking
HUGE Asian population in Seattle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 11:51 AM

27,567 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Are any cities really unfriendly towards Asians?
The short answer is no. Not something that is provable anyway.

It's fair to say that Asians are pretty welcome in cities all over the U.S. (except some minor small areas with racists, xenophobes, etc.)

Old 01-28-2012, 07:11 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,400,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
The Asian population in the Twin Cities is very integrated with the community, for the most part, and isn't clustered or centered in one area.
I'm from MPLS and I agree with this as well.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:56 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Are any cities really unfriendly towards Asians?
Maybe Youngstown, Ohio or Port Arthur, Texas? Why those choices? See the following.

Family of Mistreated Soldier Details Abuse He Suffered Before Death in Afghanistan | NBC New York

Okay they likely don't represent their cities at all, I just wanted to link to this story as it was new/surprising/saddening to me. Still I do remember that some "Rust Belt" cities had anti-Asian incidents in the 1980s so it wouldn't totally shock me if some "manufacturing-cities in decline" have a bit of anti-Chinese sentiment anyway. Outside that Port Arthur, Texas's "White-Asian" dissimilarity index looks fairly high. Although that could be misleading due to their Asian-American population being a bit small.

Last edited by Thomas R.; 01-29-2012 at 03:04 AM..

Old 01-29-2012, 05:44 AM

1,315 posts, read 2,681,036 times
Check out Plano,Tx

The safest city in the country,high asian population

Plano Dubbed Nation's Safest City | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Old 01-30-2012, 04:15 PM

118 posts, read 210,952 times
2010 Asian population:

California - 4,900,000
New York - 1,400,000
Texas - 980,000

Old 02-06-2012, 06:57 PM

61 posts, read 227,818 times
Largest Asian populations in Metro areas (250,000+):
Los Angeles, CA/Riverside, CA - 2,352,018
New York, NY - 2,000,992
San Francisco, CA/San Jose, CA - 1,735,133
Chicago, IL - 586,214
Washington, DC - 581,000
Seattle, Wa - 490,579
Houston, TX - 417,415
San Diego, CA - 397,551
Dallas, TX - 377,958
Boston, MA - 324,547
Philadelphia, PA - 324,412
Sacramento, CA - 305,994
Atlanta, GA - 279,112

Old 02-06-2012, 08:19 PM

1 posts, read 3,784 times
Thumbs up Hoi An Ancient Town

From the moment you enter the city, the mystique of an secluded ancient town isolated from the modern world will take your feeling back to old countryside society of Vietnam.

Lying on the banks of the Thu Bon River, Quang Nam province ( in the South Central Coast of Vietnam), Hoi An Ancient Town is an exceptionally well-preserved example of a South-East Asian trading port dating from the 15th to the 19th century. Over the last few years, Hoi An has become a very popular tourist destination in Vietnam. Its buildings and its street plan reflect the influences, both indigenous and foreign, that have combined to produce this unique heritage site.
[URL="http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7153/6805551715_e67fda515c.jpg"]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7153/6...e67fda515c.jpg[/URL]

Hoi An Ancient Town
Light Bright

No fluorescent lights, no motorcycles, no television, on the 15th day of each lunar month, the riverside town of Hoi An gives modern life the night off.In the air of legendary, just experience the existence by tasting and feeling. Hoi An (http://http//www.etravelvn.com/hotel/hoi-an-central-vietnam-hotels-mkt9m-hotels-537.aspx - broken link) has long been a cultural crossroad. These diverse cultural influences remain visible today. Visitors will find Hoi An's Old Quarter lined with two-storey Chinese shops, their elaborately carved wooden facades and moss-covered tile roofs having withstood the ravages of more than 300 years of weather and warfare. These proud old buildings, which back onto the river, remind visitors of another era, when Hoi An's market was filled with wares from as far afield as India and Europe. Colorful guildhalls, founded by ethnic Chinese from Guangdong and Fujian provinces, stand quietly, a testament to the town's trading roots. While Hoi An's old-fashioned charm is always visible, on the 15th of every lunar month modernity takes another step back. On these evenings the town turns off its street lamps and fluorescent lights, leaving the Old Quarter bathed in the warm glow of colored silk, glass and paper lanterns.

In the ensuing quiet the streets of Hoi An are at their most romantic, the darkness broken only by jewel toned lanterns in all manner of shapes and sizes. Strolling through the lantern-lit streets is like walking into a fairytale. It is all the more picturesque since motor vehicles are banned from Hoi An's Old Quarter. (http://http//www.etravelvn.com/destinations/hoi-an/central/vietnam-mkt32m-landscapes-537.aspx - broken link)
A Warm Glow

The 15th day of the lunar month is a Buddhistday of worship. Residents place offerings of food and incense on their ancestral altars and visit one of Hoi An's many pagodas. The scent of incense and the sounds of people singing add to the town's enchanted atmosphere. On these evenings, visitors will get a rare glimpse into another era. These nights are a welcome reminder of life's unexpected beauty

Tourists can visit the relics of the Sa Huynh and Cham cultures. They can also enjoy the beautiful scenery of the romantic Hoi An River, Cua Dai Beach, and Cham Island.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:48 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,211,665 times
Houston, TX, LA, CA, San Francisco, CA, Honolulu, HI, Washington DC, Seattle, WA

Old 01-18-2013, 08:20 PM

1 posts, read 3,324 times
Default Best city for Asian American Teachers????

"hi guys I am an Asian-American.....I am moving ....just wondering which states and cities that ain't too kind with minorities? I am thinking cities, bigger towns, and northern states they are pretty open minded? so which cities/states are cool with minorities and which ones we should definitely avoid? thanks guys"

I really liked the vibe in LA and San Diego. I say NYC is not fun. Cost of living is bad, public transportation sucks, and many FOBs. If you like conservatives, power hungry people, hustlers, and endless needy people, NY is for you. I'm actually trying to leave....

Can any one help me with my title question : "Best city for Asian American Teachers? I woud like to relocate to the West coast but I'm open to any suggestions. Is anyone here an Asian teacher in California, Washington, Oregon, Minnesota, or Texas? I'm looking for a place to live with intellectual, patient, down to earth people, innovative, creative, and that does not treat people like dirt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.